List Mgmt. Mav Weller rumoured to possibly soon be picked up in near-ish future, maybe (bumped thread alert!)

Remove this Banner Ad

"Poor team"? more like a team loaded with talent. ;)

I agree, Gold Coast are going to be seriously good and will be in the top 2 teams in the competitions for years to come. That being said, they have not finished higher than 14th, so they are a poor team in regards to wins and losses performance.

Been in the system 4 years in a poor team, I'll happily pass unless it's a rookie spot, which it would be if he gets a chance. Also a fair chance he is training so St Kilda can convince these blokes to play at Sandy.
As far as Josh Toy goes, he has a heart condition.

Actually believe this absolute opposite to this, GC midfield runs circles around us. He played some(alright a few) good games for a crowded talented midfield playing completely out of position. I respect your opinion though -I obviously see quality in Weller and don't believe the rumours around his big ego, maybe when he started but he's sat in the sidelines for the last couple of years. If that doesn't humble someone I'm not too sure what will.

Would pick him over TDL or milera any day.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Happy to take Weller on the rookie list. Has shown enough to suggest that he has the potential to be a solid AFL player. If he gets on the rookie list, works his backside off and earns a promotion, it will be evident that his ego issue, isn't an issue at all. If he doesn't, we'd have lost nothing. Don't think I'd be pleased to have him on the senior list yet. He may well be better than TDL and Milera, but is the improvement we get from getting rid of one of those for Weller that significant? I'd rather delist them both at the end of next year to free up space for significantly better players.

Been in the system 4 years in a poor team, I'll happily pass unless it's a rookie spot, which it would be if he gets a chance. Also a fair chance he is training so St Kilda can convince these blokes to play at Sandy.
As far as Josh Toy goes, he has a heart condition.

Josh Toy was a sad one his heart didn't allow him to play. A congenital problem was found in a routine medical and there was differing opinions on wether he should even play at all let alone reach the AFL standard of fitness. He was a very talented kid.

With Hawthorn, Essendon & another club sniffing around Weller, it's a risk to leave him to the rookie draft.

If we rate him & he impresses at training over the next week or so, then sign him up.

Very few of us rated Roberton this time last year & look how that turned out!

Get him in, play him in his preferred position & see how he goes. We're in a reasonably luxurious position to have room in the cap to pay someone out & also give Weller opportunity to show what he can do.

Worse case scenario... he gets delisted in 2 years time. Best case... we get a kid rated in the top 20 three years back for nothing & he becomes an integral part of our midfield.

With Hawthorn, Essendon & another club sniffing around Weller, it's a risk to leave him to the rookie draft.

If we rate him & he impresses at training over the next week or so, then sign him up.

Very few of us rated Roberton this time last year & look how that turned out!

Get him in, play him in his preferred position & see how he goes. We're in a reasonably luxurious position to have room in the cap to pay someone out & also give Weller opportunity to show what he can do.

Worse case scenario... he gets delisted in 2 years time. Best case... we get a kid rated in the top 20 three years back for nothing & he becomes an integral part of our midfield.
If those clubs were interested on putting him on their senior list, they could just DFA him, I'm sure he'd rather be on their senior list than our rookie list. That no one is trying to put him on DFA him shows that they wouldn't pick him up in the PSD. That puts us in pole position to take him the rookie draft.

If those clubs were interested on putting him on their senior list, they could just DFA him, I'm sure he'd rather be on their senior list than our rookie list. That no one is trying to put him on DFA him shows that they wouldn't pick him up in the PSD. That puts us in pole position to take him the rookie draft.

If we encourage him to register for the rookie draft then another club can draft him with a late pick in the national draft.

I suppose this debate can be summed up as

Rate Weller; sign him

Don't rate Weller; let him get rookied if he makes it that far

I think it would be more another situation where we can offer him more opportunity to play than most clubs. We saw it with Delaney, Bruce and Longer and it isn't like our midfield is overflowing with amazing talent so he is a real chance of securing a spot.

I agree with Winmar2Lockett that if the club rates him as being better than or having higher potential than someone currently on our list then why wouldn't we give him a senior spot? Someone like TDL wouldn't be on big money so if paying him out is the price we pay to lift the overall quality of the team then so be it.

GWS and GC will be letting go of lots of talent over the next few years and we should get it while we can.

I think it would be more another situation where we can offer him more opportunity to play than most clubs. We saw it with Delaney, Bruce and Longer and it isn't like our midfield is overflowing with amazing talent so he is a real chance of securing a spot.
For sure our midfield depth (or lack thereof) would be tempting, for him, but if we only offered him a rookie spot, and another club offered him a senior spot, he would go with the senior spot for sure.

If another club was prepared to have him on their senior list, they would just take him as a delisted free agent.
Not necessarily.. This year is a very shallow draft and quite a few clubs may want to only take the obligatory 3 picks.. I'm sure there would be a few that would happily take Weller as their 3rd pick if it falls in the late 50's, early 60's rather than whatever is left in the draft pool at that stage. Taking Mav as a delisted free agent would still require clubs to use their 3rd pick on someone else

Not necessarily.. This year is a very shallow draft and quite a few clubs may want to only take the obligatory 3 picks.. I'm sure there would be a few that would happily take Weller as their 3rd pick if it falls in the late 50's, early 60's rather than whatever is left in the draft pool at that stage. Taking Mav as a delisted free agent would still require clubs to use their 3rd pick on someone else
Yeah I suppose that's true. I guess W2R is right in saying that it comes down to whether you rate him highly enough to have him on the senior list or not. Personally I don't. Would be particularly disappointed if we rated him as a rookie pick up but got him on the senior list because we are fearful of other clubs taking him.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yeah I suppose that's true. I guess W2R is right in saying that it comes down to whether you rate him highly enough to have him on the senior list or not. Personally I don't. Would be particularly disappointed if we rated him as a rookie pick up but got him on the senior list because we are fearful of other clubs taking him.
Our club needs to weigh up whether they consider Mav to be a best 22 player for our side as of next year.. I think if we had a list spot available, it would be a no brainier to take him as a delisted free agent because its extremely low risk.. Our problem is having to delist someone in contract to make way for him, and I'm not sure we will do that unless we thought he would be an automatic best 22 every week.. I'd say as it stands, we will be more than happy to take him as a rookie, but if someone trumps us in the National Draft then we will wish him luck elsewhere..

In this thread people talk about Mav as arrogant, having a big head, and not working hard enough.

No way you could pick that now.

Great pick up and seems like an exceptionally hard worker.
Its been shown time and time again in my opinion just how off some opinions can be of the players. Mav certainly showed he was maligned player for sure.

Besides being from my childhood home... Mav was always going to be great value imo

He was the very first 17yo picked by GC
Had a great carnival bottom aged. Starred at Burnie as a kid in the seniors.

Seriously tough kid, strong as a bull and doesn't mince wordss

Hell be a solid 150+ games aka CJ

Its been shown time and time again in my opinion just how off some opinions can be of the players. Mav certainly showed he was maligned player for sure.

well in peoples defence, they were basing their opinion on what was coming out of gold coast. how do you know he wasnt like that there and the experience of going through what he did there and then the rookie list didnt help sort some of that out? even just maturing through age

the only ones to know would be GC

using an argument of well "we dont have any issue with him so it must be bullshit" argument just exactly answer the question does it? been a long list of tools that get a kick in the ass or change clubs and turn out the better for it. michael gardiner says hi

Actually believe this absolute opposite to this, GC midfield runs circles around us. He played some(alright a few) good games for a crowded talented midfield playing completely out of position. I respect your opinion though -I obviously see quality in Weller and don't believe the rumours around his big ego, maybe when he started but he's sat in the sidelines for the last couple of years. If that doesn't humble someone I'm not too sure what will.

Would pick him over TDL or milera any day.

Glad I back Mav, has not disappointed at all

Remove this Banner Ad

Back