Delisted Maverick Weller

Remove this Banner Ad

566b4d6e8498e1539f028234d2730a19.png

What a physique. Gold Coast must be kicking themselves every day of the week, that they let this bull slip right out of their club.

Looks like he is going to have an even beastier 2017.

Do we move him into the midfield? That is the big question.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Do we move him into the midfield? That is the big question.

Appears not. Found this in an interview with Mav last week:

“I really like playing in my forward-line, as I feel my strengths as a player are suited to that role and I am just looking to continue to grow up there.

“For me it’s all about the pressure aspect, the tackling, creating turnovers and the general chaos down there, as well as hitting the scoreboard.

“I’ll be looking to attack the goals a lot more, as it is my third year playing in the forward line, and I’m just looking to soak it up and help our forwards.”

http://www.theadvocate.com.au/story/4435269/weller-on-the-improve-as-new-season-looms/

494826.jpg

Round 1 and it was a poor start for Mav.

Usually one of our most accurate, his game was marred by poor kicking for goal. Gathering 15 disposals, 5 tackles and 0.2 - 3 gettable shots resulting in 3 shanks repeatedly let the wind out of our sails, with the miss early in Q2 to put us over 5 goals ahead seeming particularly costly.

There were murmurings of doubt over Mav's fitness in the week leading up to Round 1 following a corkie sustained in JLT 3 vs Sydney. His unusually miserable goal kicking only further fuels rumours of a possible groin injury. Watch this space.

If we are any chance to come away with a win in Perth, Cyclops will have to put in one of his best.

Rounds 2-5 were nothing more than serviceable from mav as the yips continued to plague, but was in hot form off field though:

http://www.saints.com.au/video/2017-04-27/ch7-feature-mav-weller
(Can't get enough of his unabashed St Kilda love, ultimate clubman that is so crucial to creating a strong fabric)

In Round 6, Mav made a long awaited return to the midfield which saw him back to his dynamic best, collecting a season high 28 touches and 2 goals. (Worth noting that Mav made his St Kilda debut against the Hawks in 2014 when they destroyed us by 150).

giphy.gif

giphy.gif

Unfortunately couldn't go on with it and missed round 7 against GWS with a rolled ankle at training.

Mav had a rest last week to give his body time to heal , especially his ankle . This probably should have been done earlier in the season . He might play in the vfl next week to get a bit of form . Will be an important player if we make the finals so we need him fit and in form.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Unfortunately Weller really struggled to get into the game against Port . Usually you would have thought he would dominate in wet and slippery conditions but maybe he was too worried about his ankle because he looks half the player he was last year . For him this season can't finish quick enough . He needs to have a strong preseason to get his confidence back to where it was last year .

So the reason he had a crud year was he had a bung ankle from the round 6 game (from memory) and this excuse was floated all year for his disappointing output but no surgery at seasons end??
If he needed rest we could've played someone else, it's not like his output was greater than lonie or minch or wright's ability

So the reason he had a crud year was he had a bung ankle from the round 6 game (from memory) and this excuse was floated all year for his disappointing output but no surgery at seasons end??
If he needed rest we could've played someone else, it's not like his output was greater than lonie or minch or wright's ability
he may have surgery at seasons end, but he didn't in season.

not sure if you need surgery on an injury like that

btw his impact was better than lonie. wright/minch injured.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back