Player Watch Max Michalanney - Re-Signed to End of 2026

Remove this Banner Ad

Which makes me wonder why Soligo didn't have the same confidence in himself.

Anyhow this is the first of our recent extensions that I'm really excited about. Great signing.
Not a fan of re-signing Chayce Jones?

A great decision and a great length of contract.

Max has already demonstrated more than most of us thought possible. He's just an exceptional player. Almost never beaten one on one, composed under heat and an excellent kick, he's only just scratching the surface of what he might become.
2 years gives him some stability and reward, while also letting him see what level he has reached before his next contract. I suspect his next one will be a 5-6 year deal.

Imagine Max, at 190 cm, with 10kg on him and another 50 games experience. He could be anything - including possibly a midfielder.

A great decision and a great length of contract.

Max has already demonstrated more than most of us thought possible. He's just an exceptional player. Almost never beaten one on one, composed under heat and an excellent kick, he's only just scratching the surface of what he might become.
2 years gives him some stability and reward, while also letting him see what level he has reached before his next contract. I suspect his next one will be a 5-6 year deal.

Imagine Max, at 190 cm, with 10kg on him and another 50 games experience. He could be anything - including possibly a midfielder.
Benny Hart mk2 inho. I didn't know how good he was but wow.

Andy Otten thread
Stiffy Johncock is primed for a good Pre-Season and is also ready to finally make the move.

Nah but seriously after seeing Max’s under 18s highlights prior to the draft thought it showed he had really good tools to eventually be a midfielder, that run through the middle and delivery to Tex in the Carlton game probably showed he can definitely progress up field.

Some of the best midfielders have cut their teeth in the backline, players should never be pigeon holed especially when they’re Max’s age, still reckon Luke Brown was under-utilised in his career and could’ve been rewarded with time in the midfield.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Bit off topic but I've never understood how this sort of thing is actually implemented. I'm trying to work out how they manage the salary cap if it fluctuates based on performance.
I think there is a percentage overlap and if Soligo plays extra games it means another may play less - balancing it out

Or there is an agreed outlay - played by the afl beanies who accept these results but within reason ie we can't suddenly find 100k of KPIs

Stiffy Johncock is primed for a good Pre-Season and is also ready to finally make the move.

Nah but seriously after seeing Max’s under 18s highlights prior to the draft thought it showed he had really good tools to eventually be a midfielder, that run through the middle and delivery to Tex in the Carlton game probably showed he can definitely progress up field.

Some of the best midfielders have cut their teeth in the backline, players should never be pigeon holed especially when they’re Max’s age, still reckon Luke Brown was under-utilised in his career and could’ve been rewarded with time in the midfield.
Not saying you're wrong, I don't have a crystal ball, I just think it sucks that Crows supporters will now identify just about any good player we recruit, regardless of their preferred position, as a "potential midfielder". It says a lot about how bad our midfield is that people are constantly looking for some sort of reprieve.

I think there is a percentage overlap and if Soligo plays extra games it means another may play less - balancing it out

Or there is an agreed outlay - played by the afl beanies who accept these results but within reason ie we can't suddenly find 100k of KPIs
I thought someone on here explained how it works as they’d done the salary cap for a vic club.

Stuff like if you win the b&f you get $50k, $30k for second and $20k for third. The club has certainty that $100k will go out, just not sure on who.

On games played kickers, apparently a club plans around senior players so if a heap of young guys get games it can cause headaches (I can’t recall why) but then there is a discussion with the afl about reasonable leeway or makeup in future years etc

I thought someone on here explained how it works as they’d done the salary cap for a vic club.

Stuff like if you win the b&f you get $50k, $30k for second and $20k for third. The club has certainty that $100k will go out, just not sure on who.

On games played kickers, apparently a club plans around senior players so if a heap of young guys get games it can cause headaches (I can’t recall why) but then there is a discussion with the afl about reasonable leeway or makeup in future years etc
I recall us having issues on the last point in 2010 or 11 when we got a ton of injuries and had to pay a bunch of guys extra with younger players who had added match payments in their deals outside their base salary.

courageous_tom

Thanks for the heads up. Found this post from courageous_tom.

"A player's salary is made up of all sorts of incentives, and changes week by week depending on the amount of games they play and other milestones they hit. Even the club paying the salary doesn't know what the player's total salary will be for the year until well after the season has finished.

The AFL has full transperancy regarding each players salary and incentives. They're across it all. The player's manager is also across it, and will almost certainly be sharing that info with rival clubs in order to negotiate offers etc. So the player's club is across it, the AFL is across it, and potential suitors are across it.

The only people who are in the dark are the general public, who don't really need to know. It also gives click bait journos more ammo to go through and write articles about how player x is on salary y and how they're not justifying their pay. Totally not helpfull to the player or club."

Oh we’d definitely do that 😆

Jks everyone

I don't normally buy into 'he should move to midfield' and while I think it's unlikely, I reckon Max has the ability. I think he's an all rounder. Has pace, agility, smarts, skill and size. Will be an important player and likely a 300 gamer if he doesn't have significant injuries

Which makes me wonder why Soligo didn't have the same confidence in himself.

Anyhow this is the first of our recent extensions that I'm really excited about. Great signing.

Or we've paid up for Soligo.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back