Maxwell the new captain of Collingwood.

Remove this Banner Ad

Divvy 3....:eek:

;)
i played a couple maybe 4? div1 games and got belted physically wasnt fit enough or tough enough, mind willing body not lol

Id love to get back into next year hopefully i can manouvre work and stuff around

so our captain wasnt in our best 10 players last year? is that a good fact for you col?
Just FYI.

Tom Harley finished 12th in the 2007 Geelong B&F. With 5 other defenders from the club finishing ahead of him.

So most teams have 6 defenders, their B&F count rated him the worst out of their 6 players in defence.

He captained the Premiership that year, probably a poor choice though?

i played a couple maybe 4? div1 games and got belted physically wasnt fit enough or tough enough, mind willing body not lol

Id love to get back into next year hopefully i can manouvre work and stuff around

Don't be hard on yourself Opti.

I have no doubt you had the skills and football intellect to rival the new captain of your beloved Collingwood.

I can't say i smiled when i read the decision but then thought about other candidates and there were negatives to anyone picked! i cant help but feel this debate would've happened regardless.
Nick is a hard player and i agree not the best in the team but lets hope being the captain of the mighty collingwood football club makes him shine.
could've given tarks a year though!!

I'm happy with the choice.

He may not be our best player, but we have such an even team. If the match committee think he's the standout I am more than happy to support their decision and ignore a bunch of people on bigfooty who have no idea. :p

Clearly Nick has some great attributes - obviously the courage, hard work and determination. But he's also a very intelligent guy, speaks well, is on the AFLPA, does charity work etc. These days it's about the overall package.

I really like this article about him from 3 months ago:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/news/pie-warmer/2008/09/12/1220857841668.html

He will do fine, GO PIES!

Captains need to have an influence on the team...
I think that is less and less the case nowadays Danny. Gone are the days where a team just picks their best player and makes them captain.

The skipper is every bit about being the spokesman for the club now, as they are being the best player. I have heard Maxwell interviewed many times and he presents himself very well. So long as he can throw in "processes", "Emirates", "Adidas", "just happy to get away with the four points", "scoreboard pressure" and the rest of the all to often used footy cliches, and do it in English, he'll be just fine. :D

From an outsider's view he seems to get the job done each week without being sensational. Apart from Jonathon Brown and one or two others, very few of the AFL captains are superstars.

Better than just having the best player as captain

Its always going to be hard for anyone to follow Bucks and Sir scotty ....

Max is in the same mold as T.Shaw he wasn't the best player on the list but he was a great leader of men... I hope he is half as good as Shaw ...

Don't be hard on yourself Opti.

I have no doubt you had the skills and football intellect to rival the new captain of your beloved Collingwood.
o no i sucked but i put in and never complained, bitched or moaned also always supported my captain and played a mans sport like a man.

I think that is less and less the case nowadays Danny. Gone are the days where a team just picks their best player and makes them captain.

The skipper is every bit about being the spokesman for the club now, as they are being the best player. I have heard Maxwell interviewed many times and he presents himself very well. So long as he can throw in "processes", "Emirates", "Adidas", "just happy to get away with the four points", "scoreboard pressure" and the rest of the all to often used footy cliches, and do it in English, he'll be just fine. :D

From an outsider's view he seems to get the job done each week without being sensational. Apart from Jonathon Brown and one or two others, very few of the AFL captains are superstars.

Hodge should be named your captain he is the biggest influence on your team atm at hudles he does most the talking he plays the way a captain should hard, tough and skilled he currently leads your team without the title and it looks stupid when mitchell gets the accolades.

If he didn't turn it down then the stuff up with spida he WOULD be captain of Hawthorn and rightfully so.

N.Brown 8.6

N.Maxwell 8.9

1st year player vs 7 year player.

Hawks midfield dominated both games so don't go there.
kp back versus versatile utility, playing on a freak.

Maxwell also played better then anyone else on riedwoldt in the final too

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apart from Jonathon Brown and one or two others, very few of the AFL captains are superstars.

Superstars

Pavlich
Brown
Reiwolt
Mitchell
Judd
Harvey
Lloyd
Goodwin
Johnson

Top handful of players

Glass
Tredrea (has he been replaced yet, didn't he resign?)
Kirk

Other Skippers

Harley
Maxwell
Newman

No idea who the Demon's skipper even is?

Yet he should of been.

Some players don't get afforded 1 bad game he gets 15 rnds to find form in the seniors even when we have a plethora of players capable of his role (HBF).
Greatly exaggerated

Maxwells form was no worse then any other players in our leaking backline all year, if maxwell got dropped brown and wakelin should of been dropped late and harry early.

Also these replacements you talk of showed nothing in the vfl. Goldsack was sadly out of form, Cox unfit/not defensive sometimes lazy and used elsehwere, anthony played as a forward

He wasnt near dropped like you suggest

Yet he should of been.

Some players don't get afforded 1 bad game he gets 15 rnds to find form in the seniors even when we have a plethora of players capable of his role (HBF).

So the coach and the entire match committee were wrong ............ but wait ................................ you were right?

Ok, lets hear your experiences in the AFL

Great attitude. MM would be a fan.
grow up, you snide remarks about our players and coaches and other posters (mostly me) are tiresome at best and childish and stupid at worst

So the coach and the entire match committee were wrong ............ but wait ................................ you were right?

Ok, lets hear your experiences in the AFL

How do you know there weren't parts of the match commitee that wanted him dropped and it wasn't just me who was callling for him most the supporter base saw he was struggling badly.

So those 6 or so blokes never get anything wrong like say J.Cloke to CHF on GF day or Walker in the ruck for 1st time on GF day or leaving Franklin 1 out in the forward 50 v brown and then v maxwell.
Or hanging on to Guy Richards for 7 years or hanging on to Ben Kinnear for almost a decade.

yet 100s of supporters who watch and most play footy week after week can't see a player struggling making stupid decisions and getting beaten week after week should be dropped ..... hmmm.

I agree with the above in terms of everyone certainly being entitled to their opinion without having to show qualifications.

...however, as Opti pointed out in the post you ignored, he was never near the point of being dropped because any potential replacements were in much worse form.

And I would also agree with Opti on Wakelin/Brown - both were worse in the 2nd half of the year than Maxwell was in the 1st half.

I agree with the above in terms of everyone certainly being entitled to their opinion without having to show qualifications.

...however, as Opti pointed out in the post you ignored, he was never near the point of being dropped because any potential replacements were in much worse form.

And I would also agree with Opti on Wakelin/Brown - both were worse in the 2nd half of the year than Maxwell was in the 1st half.
thanks for seeing that post mate, honestly the over exaggeration that comes out when maxwell gets mentioned is staggering

How do you know there weren't parts of the match commitee that wanted him dropped and it wasn't just me who was callling for him most the supporter base saw he was struggling badly.
How do you know there were?

So those 6 or so blokes never get anything wrong like say J.Cloke to CHF on GF day or Walker in the ruck for 1st time on GF day or leaving Franklin 1 out in the forward 50 v brown and then v maxwell.
Or hanging on to Guy Richards for 7 years or hanging on to Ben Kinnear for almost a decade.
No, I'm saying I back their many years and vast experience against a pimply faced 20 year old that has done nothing and probably failed high school

yet 100s of supporters who watch and most play footy week after week can't see a player struggling making stupid decisions and getting beaten week after week should be dropped ..... hmmm.
Most supporters, like you, don't know there arse from their elbow, as you so aptly prove

Remove this Banner Ad

Back