Remove this Banner Ad

May 3, 2003
Warriorville
AFL Club
Collingwood
Other Teams
NZ Warriors, Wallan FNC
Link

St George Illawarra director Sean O'Connor has spoken out in support of caretaker coach Paul McGregor being appointed to the job full-time and believes he would be a better option than Wayne Bennett.

While Dragons chief executive Peter Doust is expected to meet with Bennett in coming days, O'Connor's comments demonstrate the seven-time premiership winning coach would not be the first choice of everyone at the club after McGregor's impressive feat in guiding the team to four wins in their past five matches and an 18-14 loss to competition leaders Penrith in a game decided by goalkicking.

Very interesting this one. McGregor has the Saints going really well, but Bennett would be a great get.

Personally I like to see the Dragons stick with PM and Bennett head up to the Titans and work on getting them back on track in the very tough environment they have up there.

Link

Very interesting this one. McGregor has the Saints going really well, but Bennett would be a great get.

Personally I like to see the Dragons stick with PM and Bennett head up to the Titans and work on getting them back on track in the very tough environment they have up there.
Would love to see Bennett come back to our club. He had a strong bond between players.

Well it looks like it's Mary.
Speculation is rife that Mick Potter will be punted from the Wests Tigers after today's match against the Dragons.Which, in itself is a WTF ? moment.
But the same drums are beating that Potter, knowing his fate, has applied for the Dragons job.
Time will tell......
IMHO, I reckon McGregor is the man for the job.And I would've still said that if Bennett was still on the market.
McGregor has the Dragons in his blood. Played for the Steelers/Dragons, been a jack of all trades since retiring from playing.Been a runner, trainer, assistant coach.Always doing something to help the club out.Coached Wests to three premierships in three years in the Illawarra Rugby League comp.Coached the Cutters for two years (Dragons feeder side in the N.S.W Cup). Respects the soul and history of the clubs that formed the joint venture as well as the joint venture itself.Most importantly, has the respect of the playing group.Has the potential to be a long-term coach of the club a la Bellamy. He is the future of the Dragons.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back