Melbourne Victory in sight as Kewell looks to head home

Remove this Banner Ad

Thanks for the heads-up Normy.

Kewell wants to protect the rights to his image. Seems to me to be reasonable for him to have the final say on how his image is used. If he were to tell the FFA to stick their 500 grand so his image rights are protected and agreed not to use them in conflict with present day sponsors, what's the problem?

All that is holding up getting a marquee player into the A-League is the intransigence of the FFA in wanting some control over Kewell's image. As mentioned earlier, contrast that with the way the AFL facilitated the move of Folau and Hunt to cross codes.

The rest of the article is just filler.

You have to wonder what went down between the powers that be at the MLS and Beckham's people about image rights?

From Twitter: Harry Kewell to Melbourne Victory today. No deal with FFA, just 3yr deal with MV. Press conf to confirm today

We'll wait and see I guess, would be weird for them to do it on a Saturday.

Got to laugh at all of the sad Leeds fans saying "Kewell is greedy and trying to get more money" etc etc. When in the end, Kewell had already agreed terms back in early/mid July. Turned down $4 million tax free in the Middle East. Absolute legend of a player, if only there were more players like Kewell around who are not in it just for the money (Luca$h Neill hint hint).

Got to laugh at all of the sad Leeds fans saying "Kewell is greedy and trying to get more money" etc etc.

Didn't realise only Leeds fans had that idea. Clearly he has been after every last cent and was trying to milk the FFA for everything possible before giving up and just agreeing with Victory.

But now he is going to be announced I just look forward to seeing him in the flesh getting flogged by the Glory!;):thumbsu:

Didn't realise only Leeds fans had that idea. Clearly he has been after every last cent and was trying to milk the FFA for everything possible before giving up and just agreeing with Victory.

But now he is going to be announced I just look forward to seeing him in the flesh getting flogged by the Glory!;):thumbsu:

It's 90% deluded Leeds fans spinning that line. Which is stupid considering the choices HK has made in his career, turned down bigger contracts at Chelsea/Juve/Arsenal to play for the club he supported as a boy. And now turning down $4 million tax free in the Mid East and knocking back FFA for 500k proves beyond doubt that HK isn't all about the money. Plus if he gets injured he gets paid sweet fa - a big risk when you consider it will be his last professional contract for him.

I have a feeling it will be Glory getting flogged not Kewell when he plays you guys :)

Just imagine, Cernak, Carlos, Rojas, Solorzano, Harry & Archie all in the starting lineup - we are gonna be like Brazil of the 70's - you score 4 goals we'll score 5 :)

You have to wonder what went down between the powers that be at the MLS and Beckham's people about image rights?

Undoubtedly a deal would have been done. Isn't Becks mostly paid by Herbalife? There's no chance Becks would ever relinquish control of his image rights.

It's 90% deluded Leeds fans spinning that line. Which is stupid considering the choices HK has made in his career, turned down bigger contracts at Chelsea/Juve/Arsenal to play for the club he supported as a boy. And now turning down $4 million tax free in the Mid East and knocking back FFA for 500k proves beyond doubt that HK isn't all about the money. Plus if he gets injured he gets paid sweet fa - a big risk when you consider it will be his last professional contract for him.

I have a feeling it will be Glory getting flogged not Kewell when he plays you guys :)

Just imagine, Cernak, Carlos, Rojas, Solorzano, Harry & Archie all in the starting lineup - we are gonna be like Brazil of the 70's - you score 4 goals we'll score 5 :)

Do you ever think before you post? Haven't learnt from 2022 bid subforum.

MV guy just said 'The biggest signing in the history of Australian sport. Clearly they forget aboutwhen we signed Mate Dragacevic.

That;s obvious and that's why a lot of fans have been a bit meh with the signing in the end. Will be good to see him in action at NIB now it's all done.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just watch the cash fly into the Victory bank account now. I've got three mates already apply for memberships since the announcement.

I hear they are sooking big time over in Sydney, typical losers. Not Harry's fault that Sydney is a farce of a club. Really don't understand their attitude, they either wanted Harry to sign for Sydney and kill it etc etc but since he doesn't want to join their joke of a club it's now lets boo him, hope he gets injured etc etc etc.

Absolute legend of a player, if only there were more players like Kewell around who are not in it just for the money (Luca$h Neill hint hint).

:eek: Kewell and Mandic have been prime examples of money-hungry greed in football for a decade. His attitude towards the national team before 2006 was embarrassing.

Anyway, should be good for the Victory if he can avoid injuries. Don't know if they will gain many long-term fans who will stick around when he leaves though.

As a Leeds fan Kewell p*ssed me off when he joined Galatasary after Liverpool.

BUT, I am glad he's here. From an Adelaide perspective its good he went to Melbourne (from the point of view that we were never a chance and he had to go somewhere) because he could help boost attendance at Adelaide Oval in 2 seasons time (I believe we aren't playing at AO this season).

The game at Hindmarsh in Round 2 should be a sellout. Can't wait!

Since going a lot last year with my close mates for the spectacle of us all going for the same team (AFL is CollingwoodX2 Essendon and Myself), we planned on getting a membership since the end of last season.

This will definitely sweeten the deal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back