Membership across the AFL - another well-researched ABC article

Remove this Banner Ad

geoffjennings79

Premiership Player
Apr 4, 2006
AFL Club
Western Bulldogs
Sorry this one isn't a neat fit under our 2023 membership thread, or even in the media thread, I think it deserves its own thread (hope Mods agree!).

Cody Atkinson and Sean Lawson with some more quality media analysis (and as we all know, there is far too little of that in our sport).

I'll let everyone read and form their own conclusions, but the one that initially caught my eye is the table below the heading "A snapshot history of the club membership race".

In 1925, we entered the VFL on a wave of optimism, and were ranked 5th of 12 clubs in memberships (amazingly Collingwood were 8th, and Melb 12th):

1687486185528.png

By 1949, we'd dropped to 6th:

1687486235061.png

1984, even before the 1985 finals surge, we were 7th of 12 (total numbers for all clubs incredibly low):

1687486307833.png

By 2003, with some powerhouse interstate additions, and bigger Vic clubs mobilising, we'd dropped to 15th of 16, with only Melbourne below us (although Sydney and North effectively the same at those small margins):

1687486425721.png

And on to 2022, where we sat 14 of 18:

1687486467363.png

Happy reading!

Sorry, just saw that dogwatch had already posted this in the media thread.

I still think it is worthwhile discussing membership in a dedicated thread, but will bow to the will of the power wielders if they think otherwise.

Sorry, just saw that dogwatch had already posted this in the media thread.

I still think it is worthwhile discussing membership in a dedicated thread, but will bow to the will of the power wielders if they think otherwise.
I'm happy for my post (and those following) in the media thread to be moved here, or into the membership thread if that's where it's best placed.
It's a topic that warrants some discussion.

If we had of a period of sustained success between the 50-80’s and nabbed a couple of flags we would have been a power house in terms of membership.

Even if we had the success of North in the 70’s we would probably have a membership base around 70k today.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back