Portfolio MergerMania

Remove this Banner Ad

What would it be then?
NRL? National implies that it's a league for the nation of Australia anyway, I don't understand how you see any distinction between the use of the words "Australian" and "National". A New Zealand team would make no difference to the name.

What would it be then?
The ARL was a separate board to SuperLeague, but they merged at the conclusion of the '97 and embarked on a partnership to run the first grade rugby league competition in Australia. This partnership, funnily enough, was called the National Rugby League Partnership, who ran a league under the NRL brand. ARL existed as a separate entity until the beginning of 2012, when the independent commission, the similarly named Australian Rugby League Commission was formed out of its ashes with a new constitution and framework. Not that this has anything to do with this portfolio, but still. And for the record, the Auckland Warriors were part of the ARL competition in 95 and 96, and the Auckland Vulcans club side (until this season) and now current Warriors reserve grade compete under the NSWRL flag in the NSW Cup, so that has nothing to do with the name NRL. I'd assume the AFL will maintain its name as the sport is now officially known as Australian Football, so the AFL name would refer to the sport itself, rather than the "Australian" "Football League".

View attachment 44605
Richmond Bears
Team colours:
  • Black (from Richmond)
  • Yellow (from both teams)
Lions and tigers and bears, oh my! The merger of Brisbane and Richmond sees the return of the Bears and the formation of the Richmond Bears Football Club. The home and clash jumpers are essentially Brisbane's 1992-96 jumper recoloured in Richmond colours. The vee could also be seen to represent a reflected Richmond sash. The yoke and monogram (borrowed from Rangers FC) of the preseason jumper are inspired by both the Brisbane Bears' original jumper and Fitzroy's final jumper.

Next: Fremantle and Gold Coast (requested by Bryce_Jersey17) [/QUOTE]

i Love the link of Rangers FC and 'The Bears' WATP

I wont lie, if the Melbourne Lions merger had happened before i was born, i would be supporting them now,no offence to the doggies, but there is reason why i never became a fan of Melbourne, city based AFL Side
View attachment 33447

Melbourne Lions
Team colours:
  • Navy blue (from Melbourne, but also worn historically by Fitzroy)
  • Red (again from Melbourne, and also again worn by Fitzroy)
  • Gold (from Brisbane)
The Melbourne Lions' jumpers are based on Brisbane's premiership jumper (with Costa's exceptional logo). The layout of colours is based on Melbourne: navy at the bottom, red on the yoke. The kit is completed by Melbourne's iconic red socks. The clash jumper is a recoloured version of the home; white was deliberately chosen, not only to minimise clashes, but also as a reference to Melbourne's early days as the "Invincible Whites".

View attachment 33449

Brisbane Demons
Team colours:
  • Navy blue (from Melbourne, but also worn historically by Fitzroy)
  • Maroon (from Brisbane)
  • Gold (from Brisbane)
In the same way that the Brisbane Lions initial jumper was essentially a Fitzroy jumper with the red replaced by maroon (and the monogram replaced by a lion), the Brisbane Demons jumper is a Melbourne jumper with maroon replacing red (and gold numbers). The clash jumper features quintessential Queenslander colours - maroon and gold - so that when the Demons travel interstate, there's no doubt where they are from. The logo has been appropriated from the Arizona State University Sun Devils.

View attachment 33450

Fitzroy Demons
Team colours:
  • Royal blue (from Brisbane, but also worn by Melbourne in the seventies and eighties)
  • Red (from Melbourne, but also worn by Fitzroy)
  • Gold (from Brisbane)
Football goes back to the past by returning to Fitzroy with brightly-coloured simple guernseys that wouldn't look out of place in the 80s. The home jumper is basically a Melbourne jumper with a gold trim. The away jumper has a Fitzroy layout: red body and blue yoke, with Melbourne's iconic red socks. The logo combines the Central Connecticut State University Blue Devils logo with a VFL-shaped shield.

View attachment 33453

Melbourne Bears
Team colours:
  • Navy blue (from Melbourne)
  • Maroon (from Brisbane)
  • White (used sparingly by both teams)
Although the Bears' colours have been derived from Melbourne and Brisbane, the entire palette was worn by Fitzroy for the majority of their history. The jumper design is based on the last jumpers worn by the Brisbane Bears. Nevertheless, the home jumper also features aspects of the Demons' design: navy blue with a red (or in this case, dark red or maroon) vee shape. Rather than using a misnamed koala bear, the logo is borrowed from the Memphis Grizzlies in the NBA.

Coming soon: Adelaide & Gold Coast...

Last edited:
At first i saw the St Kilda Bulldogs, and was like oh my god, no way, my poor doggies, but the Footscray Saints design is dope asf, the jumpers are beautiful, gives it a East Perth vibe with the colours, great stuff, would be happy with that merger
View attachment 34131

St Kilda Bulldogs
Team colours
  • Black (from St Kilda)
  • White (from both teams)
  • Red (from both teams)
The St Kilda Bulldogs home and clash jumpers combine Footscray's 80s jumper with St Kilda's colours. Similarly, the logo is a recoloured version of Footscray's logo from the 90s. The preseason jumper converts St Kilda's vertical tripanel to broad horizontal bands (horizontal bands being a key design feature of all Bulldogs home jumpers outside of 1935); the result is somewhat similar to St Kilda's 2010 preseason jumper.

View attachment 34132

Footscray Saints
Team colours:
  • Black (from St Kilda)
  • Blue (from Bulldogs)
  • Red (from both teams)
The Footscray home jumper is essentially St Kilda's tripanel recoloured in Footscray colours. Rather than a plain back, the tripanel continues on the back, similar to the St Kilda jumpers of the 1930s. The black shorts are not only a reference to St Kilda, but also Footscray who wore black shorts until the 1970s. The away jumper is reference to St Kilda's 'candy-stripe' jumper and Footscray's 1887-89 jumpers. The preseason jumper is inspired by St Kilda's allegedly upcoming 2014 preseason jumper, replacing the middle section of the tripanel with Stickman.

View attachment 34133

Western Saints
Team colours:
  • Blue (from Bulldogs)
  • Red (from both teams)
When combining the Bulldogs' colours with St Kilda's tripanel, the result is decidedly French. The France-inspired home jumper moves the red panel to reflect the French flag. The clash jumper is based on Footscray's 1979 preseason jumper, resulting in a skinnier tripanel and/or French flag. Similarly, the red preseason jumper features a skinny tripanel/flag on the left side. The logo features the New Orleans Saints fleur-de-lis (a symbol of the French royal family) and St Kilda's motto - "Strength through loyalty" - in French.

View attachment 34134

St Kilda St Bernards
Team colours:
  • Black (from St Kilda)
  • Red (from both teams)
Combining dogs with saints results in the Saint Bernards (the logo of which is appropriated from the Siena Saints). The home and clash jumpers are based on the Bulldogs' jumpers, predominantly red and white since they are the common colours between the two teams. The preseason jumper features the St Bernard logo and would appear to be based more on Brisbane than St Kilda or Western Bulldogs, but it is somewhat reminiscent of the Bulldogs' 2002 preseason jumper (two colours horizontal separated by a logo).

Up next: Carlton & North Melbourne for Furla81

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back