Michael Clarke

Remove this Banner Ad

I've got my fingers crossed Pup can at least get back to play the Ashes next year and hopefully a send off Summer next year. It will be a shame if we have seen the last of him. He really has developed as a fine leader of men. He will go down as one of the greats of Australian cricket.

I'm pretty sure he has always said he never intended to play on to he was into his late 30's like others.

That, combined with this injury, and I think the Ashes will be his swansong. That's if he can even get himself right for them.

The Hughes tragedy might just change his outlook on a few things as well. It may make him think he wants to play for as long as he can and get everything out of himself. It could conversely make him think there is life beyond cricket and now is the right time, mentally and physically to call it a day. It may also have no effect on his cricketing career. Only Clarke himself knows that.

I always thought Clarke would be one cricketer who came back and played grade cricket after his international career - something that not enough cricketers in the last 20 years have done, and it's something which would greatly increase the development of cricketers coming into the first class scene. Given the state of his body I think it's fairly unlikely now, and fair enough too.
I never thought he would do that - I thought he would be the last bloke in the world to do so.

Needs a few months off, talk to the experts and get the full run down. His body is a train-wreck, which is just so unfortunate for him because fully fit he'd be unstoppable almost with the bat. I'm sure we haven't seen the last of him just yet but I don't think he has much left In him, maybe 1 more summer.

I never thought he would do that - I thought he would be the last bloke in the world to do so.
It's not possible to know until the time comes, but Clarke has just about always been very willing and able to play for Wests when given the opportunity.

In any case, CA really needs to do something, even if it means paying players to go back and play a couple of seasons of grade cricket after their international careers finish. It would be a huge boost to the local competitions.

Its reached the point where he gets injured every time he takes to the field. Either he takes a long rest for maybe 6 months+ or quits .
The physio cant keep patching him up .
Is resting from now until the Ashes next year a nice rest for him?

It's not possible to know until the time comes, but Clarke has just about always been very willing and able to play for Wests when given the opportunity.

In any case, CA really needs to do something, even if it means paying players to go back and play a couple of seasons of grade cricket after their international careers finish. It would be a huge boost to the local competitions.
Great in theory - will never happen again. Too much money.

Its reached the point where he gets injured every time he takes to the field. Either he takes a long rest for maybe 6 months+ or quits .
The physio cant keep patching him up .

We're all out of wallpaper.

Evidently it wasn't innocuous if he requires surgery
I just mean the way he did it. When Lloyd/Riewoldt/Kerr did their tendons, they were all running flat out and at full stretch. Pup looked nothing like that.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

What kind of surgery can you have on a torn hamstring that can help repair it?

Only surgery on a hamstring I've ever heard about is the one SOS and Matthew Lloyd had where the tenon has come off the bone

Very similar, though it's not off the bone yet
On the news they are saying he is looking at being back for world Cup.
If it is to fully reattach the tendon to the bone there is no way he'll back for the WC and will be lucky to be back for the June Ashes tour

On the news they are saying he is looking at being back for world Cup.
If it is to fully reattach the tendon to the bone there is no way he'll back for the WC and will be lucky to be back for the June Ashes tour
It's not off the bone. CA say it's just tendon damage.

Why he keeps ####ing around with limited overs crap I'll never know he shouldn't have been going near that format for the last couple of years. Tests only please Clarkey and you might even last another year or so.

Maybe, can see him limping to the Ashes and calling it stumps after that series.

What ended up being the result in that grade cricket match in which Clarke's team declared at 0-18 on the first day?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back