Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
and MMs picks in Thomas and Jones.

Jones was pick 46 - so not a wasted high pick yet, and has age and size on his side. Similar picks in Mitchell and McCarthy had all of 2 games and looked terrible in the 2s. I'd give Jones next year as well.

Thomas' last 5-7 games last year were very good. Had he not been slammed in the first 60 seconds of r1 may well have continued that form. Had he been playing this year and under performing that would a different story.

Henderson on the other hand was poor before being injured, but remains a cfc favourite and immune from most criticisms.

Patrick Cripps started as a sub in his first couple of games last year and he turned out fine.

Feel too many people place too much stock into the sub-role, many other clubs/coaches wean their young players in much the same way.
Think in Nick Graham's case, his issues are much more complex than simply a case of being unhappy with Mick.

If Mick genuinely has lost the players, I suspect he would have walked away or been sacked by now, collectively though the players are just being burdened by the losers mounting up.

If we somehow beat Geelong this week (which I know it probably won't happen but just speculating) the players confidence and collective mindset will lift and will start to win a few more games.

The Brisbane Lions (for example) seem to have gotten a new lease of life by beating us two weeks ago.

It's reasonable to suggest MM would concede that he will never coach AFL again. This is his attempt, so che would be stupid to throw away half a year worth of easy money. That's why he is adamant he will coach tot he end, unless the board decides otherwise.

http://www.michaelmalthouse.com.au/news-and-blog/2011/07/17-my-future

This is quite interesting.

A few choice quotes:
"It sends a cold shiver through me when there is even a suggestion that I will replace a current coach." - He replaced Ratten about 12 months later
"The final reason I won’t be switching clubs is that I have a contract with Collingwood for a further three years after this one, in a different role to my current position. I signed it in good faith that I could continue to help in developing the team and the club beyond my reign as senior coach."

If Mick can re-neg on a contract with 3 years remaining.....does it seem fair that we as a club should be held to ransom by his current contract? Surely Mick has set the precedent that contracts mean nothing......he didnt even give his new position a chance. Perhaps we should have a chat with the guys at AFL house to get their understanding?

Henderson is an elite CHB being played out of position, he is a good 2nd tall forward. Tony Lockett would be rubbish in our forward line at the moment.
Not elite, very good on his day. Can still be inconsistent and have seen him get beaten 1 on 1 too many time. Especially on the lead but these days with the amount of inside 50's the opp is getting i wouldnt blame anyone who plays in our defense.

I half jokingly posted last week that Malthouse via his deeds and words thus far this season , is a man that knows there will be no contact extension at seasons end and is therefore daring the board to sack him sooner rather than later .
It appears a game of chess atm and the losers are as usual , the rank and file supporters ...

A few choice quotes:
"It sends a cold shiver through me when there is even a suggestion that I will replace a current coach." - He replaced Ratten about 12 months later
"The final reason I won’t be switching clubs is that I have a contract with Collingwood for a further three years after this one, in a different role to my current position. I signed it in good faith that I could continue to help in developing the team and the club beyond my reign as senior coach."

If Mick can re-neg on a contract with 3 years remaining.....does it seem fair that we as a club should be held to ransom by his current contract? Surely Mick has set the precedent that contracts mean nothing......he didnt even give his new position a chance. Perhaps we should have a chat with the guys at AFL house to get their understanding?

Further to this , i believe he walked from the eagles with a year remaining on his contract to take up the lucrative contract at Collingwood ...

You could make an argument that you could not have run our club worse if it was your aim to run it poorly.
The score would be about 9.5/10.

The only thing that stopped the club getting a 10/10 in shittiness are those pesky supporters, who just won't give up.

What a 'putrid' thing to say! :rolleyes:

Don't confuse memberships with relevance.

CFC matters. It matters to Carlton supporters, haters and the league.

Memberships are a vote of confidence on the fortunes of the club.

You should only concern yourself if people stop talking about us.............

..............if we stick with the people running the show, it's closer than you think.

Don't confuse memberships with relevance.

CFC matters. It matters to Carlton supporters, haters and the league.

Memberships are a vote of confidence on the fortunes of the club.

You should only concern yourself if people stop talking about us.............

..............if we stick with the people running the show, it's closer than you think.

I fall into this category .......

11150758_10153361986328203_5684574372235401893_n.jpg

I am NOT going to stop renewing my M/ship and attending games because someone on a footy forum tells me to.

Each to their own!

A few choice quotes:

What a load of silly, revisionist nonsense.

Do you honestly think Buckley wanted MM still at the club looking over his shoulder for the next 2-3 years ?

The Roos-Longmire succession plan was a big success, mainly because Roos departed on his own terms.

Mick was Effectively sacked, so I can't blame him for not wanting to stick around.

And Mick wasn't responsible for Ratten getting the arse, even if MM wasn't available, Ratts was a dead man walking, he had lost the players quite clearly at the halfway point of his final season, he was always going to be fired by a trigger happy board.

Mick will stay on till the end of the season, and I am for one, couldn't be happier that our board isn't going to have its football dept decisions dictated to by an angry, impatient section of our fanbase. It would be the sign of weak leadership if we sacked Mick before the end of the season, the fans/members shouldn't be allowed to decide the fate of coaches (that goes for all clubs, in all sports IMO)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I fall into this category .......

11150758_10153361986328203_5684574372235401893_n.jpg

I am NOT going to stop renewing my M/ship and attending games because someone on a footy forum tells me to.

Each to their own!

I question the 'so called' supporters whose membership renewals depend on whomever is coaching the club next year, no man or individual is bigger than the club, and it seems like a spoilt and childish act to me if people ring up/email the club saying they won't renew their memberships if Mick isn't sacked ..

I have refused for so long to even view this thread let alone Post in it but i just can't help myself anymore:

Mick Malthouse is the man for the job, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, for a number of reasons:
One, the players do like him even though our current performances may not show it. I think all this outside negative talk about the club and the list has completely wrecked the players' confidence to the point where we're too afraid to take even a little risk on the field. How can we blame Mick Malthouse for this ? Answer: You just can't.
When Mick has said that we're "rejuvinating" the list he is referring to fixing the age demographic of our list with talented kids and some established players in the 18-23 yo bracket. In describing the matter in this way he is actually being the people's person that he is talked up to be. In other words he acknowledges that the list is not up to scratch but he's not destroying the confidence of the team the whole club and dare I say it the 'supporters' in putting it this way and not a list rebuild. ( Every club is theoretically in a list rebuild when you think about it guys)
Secondly he knows how to absorb and handle pressure and really unite a playing group. He's been there and done it before. He understands people and and knows how to get the best out of them as well.

I know this for a fact too that Scott Watters was sacked because he was very poor with people but understood the game so well and the same thing with Brenton Sanderson. If you can't manage people you're just not gonna make it.
I'm confident in saying that John Worsfold does not have the same people skills and people connection as Mick Malthouse so how can we think that he would be the answer ? Its just ridiculous.

The players do like Mick, there's no doubt about it (because he's a good people's person and the players see this) and so i think that the CLUB should acknowledge that and grow some balls and sign him up for another 2 years.

I'm lead to believe that Trigg and Lojudice want him to stay but others on the board want him gone. Membership make take a hit in the short-term if we do reappoint him but in the long-run it will improve becuase he can and will take us to the promised land. Our beloved club is at an important and precarious position yet again. If we do resign him then I think we will have learned from past mistakes(short term fixes) and have grown up a bit and will have begun to become a very professional organisation.

So, Please Blues let MM take us into the future, you won't regeret the decision: HE IS THE MAN.

I use to single out Tuohy last year but this year I can see he has improved, mind you I didn't watch last week and I don't know if I will watch this week either. TBH they are all playing crap and I can't be bothered with any of them.

I question the 'so called' supporters whose membership renewals depend on whomever is coaching the club next year, no man or individual is bigger than the club, and it seems like a spoilt and childish act to me if people ring up/email the club saying they won't renew their memberships if Mick isn't sacked ..
Did you miss the bit where Aph said 'each to their own'?

Did you miss the bit where Aph said 'each to their own'?

Yes, but I just don't like supporters (of any club really) who ring/write into the club, and basically try 'blackmail' the club into making a coaching coach ?

The club needs all the members it can get and i just don't like the type of fan who seem to put 'conditions' on their membership renewals (or wait a month into the season to see if the club is winning before signing up)

You are right, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinion, but in mine, if you truly love the club you gotta take the rough with the smooth, and there is never a question of me not renewing every year.

I do have the utmost faith we finally have the right people at board and football dept level to turn things around, but it will be a long and painful process, whoever coaches us next year and beyond deserves more support from the fans than what Ratts and Mick got.

I guess it's no different to being in love. Depending on where people are in the relationship, they can be blind to faults and things that aren't deal-breakers and will accept the person (club) for what they are. Others will always love the person (club), but they have fallen out of love and wont necessarily sacrifice everything for the relationship.
These people will still stalk on internet forums though.

I have refused for so long to even view this thread let alone Post in it but i just can't help myself anymore:

Mick Malthouse is the man for the job, there is absolutely no doubt in my mind, for a number of reasons:
One, the players do like him even though our current performances may not show it. I think all this outside negative talk about the club and the list has completely wrecked the players' confidence to the point where we're too afraid to take even a little risk on the field. How can we blame Mick Malthouse for this ? Answer: You just can't.
When Mick has said that we're "rejuvinating" the list he is referring to fixing the age demographic of our list with talented kids and some established players in the 18-23 yo bracket. In describing the matter in this way he is actually being the people's person that he is talked up to be. In other words he acknowledges that the list is not up to scratch but he's not destroying the confidence of the team the whole club and dare I say it the 'supporters' in putting it this way and not a list rebuild. ( Every club is theoretically in a list rebuild when you think about it guys)
Secondly he knows how to absorb and handle pressure and really unite a playing group. He's been there and done it before. He understands people and and knows how to get the best out of them as well.

I know this for a fact too that Scott Watters was sacked because he was very poor with people but understood the game so well and the same thing with Brenton Sanderson. If you can't manage people you're just not gonna make it.
I'm confident in saying that John Worsfold does not have the same people skills and people connection as Mick Malthouse so how can we think that he would be the answer ? Its just ridiculous.

The players do like Mick, there's no doubt about it (because he's a good people's person and the players see this) and so i think that the CLUB should acknowledge that and grow some balls and sign him up for another 2 years.

I'm lead to believe that Trigg and Lojudice want him to stay but others on the board want him gone. Membership make take a hit in the short-term if we do reappoint him but in the long-run it will improve becuase he can and will take us to the promised land. Our beloved club is at an important and precarious position yet again. If we do resign him then I think we will have learned from past mistakes(short term fixes) and have grown up a bit and will have begun to become a very professional organisation.

So, Please Blues let MM take us into the future, you won't regeret the decision: HE IS THE MAN.

Is that you Mick?

Yes, but I just don't like supporters (of any club really) who ring/write into the club, and basically try 'blackmail' the club into making a coaching coach ?

The club needs all the members it can get and i just don't like the type of fan who seem to put 'conditions' on their membership renewals (or wait a month into the season to see if the club is winning before signing up)

You are right, everyone is entitled to their own beliefs and opinion, but in mine, if you truly love the club you gotta take the rough with the smooth, and there is never a question of me not renewing every year.

I do have the utmost faith we finally have the right people at board and football dept level to turn things around, but it will be a long and painful process, whoever coaches us next year and beyond deserves more support from the fans than what Ratts and Mick got.

Sounds like unconditional support ,
There was once a poster here that used to espouse this line of thinking , that was of course until the club terminated his preferred coach ...
Each too their own ...

A few choice quotes:

There was a lot more behind the scenes at Collingwood than you know about. Don't you think it's funny that Malthouse still won't give Buckley the time of day? He didn't have a position at Collingwood, he had a contract, but no job.

There was a lot more behind the scenes at Collingwood than you know about. Don't you think it's funny that Malthouse still won't give Buckley the time of day? He didn't have a position at Collingwood, he had a contract, but no job.
Are you suggesting that he was lying to his supporters in his blog? Stating that the status of his contract was of utmost importance to him, and that he would honour it?

Just for ease of reading, I want to break down these reasons.

Not enough information here to come to that conclusion IMO. I'm not sure that negative talk has wrecked the players confidence. We were buoyant preseason and we were ordinary from the outset of the season. The media scrutiny has really hit the last month or so but the rot had already set in. 'How can you blame Mick for loss of confidence?' What if we said 'Can you absolve Mick of any responsibility for players losing confidence?' In my mind, I'd be thinking, is it the game plan? Is it team selection? Is it lack of motivation? All possibilities, all within Mick's control and/or responsibilities.

Mick has said we are outclassed and spoken glowingly of our opposition and also that our players aren't following directions. That is letting the team know they aren't good enough. I know on the track he is a people's person but clearly his personal skills are not getting through to this bunch.

He has no idea how to get the best out of this list. This is one area he has failed dismally in at Carlton with only a couple of players actually improving and others regressing severely. Ratten's team had consistency issues but it got the best out of itself more than Mick's list has. All I see here is 'have faith, he has done it before'. So had Pagan. There are no guarantees. Those that have had success elsewhere are not guaranteed to find it again everywhere they go. Things change.

Opinion, therefore whether it is ridiculous or not is in the eye of the beholder. Not that I want Worsfold however.

Players like him but are playing like crap for him therefore the club lack balls if they don't sign him up again. Sound logic.

I'm lead to believe that Trigg and Lojudice want him to stay but others on the board want him gone. Membership make take a hit in the short-term if we do reappoint him but in the long-run it will improve becuase he can and will take us to the promised land. Our beloved club is at an important and precarious position yet again. If we do resign him then I think we will have learned from past mistakes(short term fixes) and have grown up a bit and will have begun to become a very professional organisat

I wish I had your crystal ball. Sounds a little like a paid political campaign ad actually.

I do find it interesting that most strongly advocating for an extension do so on the basis of past achievements not his time here. I'd love to have a greater understanding of why he can't reach this group and what he is trying to achieve with his game plan, team selection and recruiting policies.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back