Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Mick brought in Daisy fail
Mick brought in Jones fail
Mick said he can't see us losing a game fail
Mick said we are approaching midnight on premiership clock fail

Mick is easily the worst coach we have had in a long time.

Ratts did better
Pagan didn't have a pick for 2 or 3 drafts
Parkin is a legend
Walls got us a flag

It's looking like we'll crack. Patience and a plan is the only way to get ourselves back where we want to go. I think we'll get the 'quick fix ' from the restless supporter base this time.

I have the same feel as well. With Carlton when the good teams go left we go right. We've been doing things badly for so long I just get the feeling that we're always on the verge of making the wrong decision. It's difficult to have faith in a club that has shown nothing and done nothing right for 20 years. I will be flabbergasted if we get to the end of the season and take no notice of the blood thirsty media, angry fans and do a proper review and make cool collected decisions in regards to the coach and other positions.

My gut tells me that we'll sack mick, make the angry fans and media happy, puff out our chest and surprise the masses with a new and popular signing and chase that eternal elusive quick fix... and history will repeat itself.

I have the same feel as well. With Carlton when the good teams go left we go right. We've been doing things badly for so long I just get the feeling that we're always on the verge of making the wrong decision. It's difficult to have faith in a club that has shown nothing and done nothing right for 20 years. I will be flabbergasted if we get to the end of the season and take no notice of the blood thirsty media, angry fans and do a proper review and make cool collected decisions in regards to the coach and other positions.

My gut tells me that we'll sack mick, make the angry fans and media happy, puff out our chest and surprise the masses with a new and popular signing and chase that eternal elusive quick fix... and history will repeat itself.

Yep, rinse and repeat. The club may want to change, take the long road and improve the board but the mob won't let it happen. I await the chaos of the board spill and caretaker coach- won't the opposition supporters be rubbing their hands in glee.

Here's a prediction..

Mick will not be coaching next Friday night.

I actually agree with you on this. Normally. But sometimes there ARE cases where genuine mistakes are made. I'm legitimately glad Richmond actually held onto a coach for more than 5 minutes. I am. It's a sign they're changing, the ONLY problem is, they've done so with the WRONG coach. Hardwick has had 6 years. He's heading into Malthouse territory now. No flags in a log time. Barely finals as a matter of fact.

Carlton are int he same boat. Yes, Carlton SHOULD stick to their guns when they truly believe they've made the right call. But it's pretty clear the right call wasn't made with Mick. So losses should be cut when it's clear they're only going to lead to more losses. Stevie Wonder could see why Carlton gave Mick the job and why Mick took the job. Mick's recruiting of both players and football department staff should demonstrate that quite clearly for those it isn't that clear for. That's also completely ignoring the fact that a list Ratten got to finals has now been turned into the undisputed worst side in the comp in a matter of 3 seasons. Let's not forget, Mick took over a pretty terrible list at Collingwood in 1999. We played off in a Grand Final in 2002. Is your Top 6 players right now as good as Collingwood's Top 6 in 2002? Probably not. But they're also not worst side in the AFL bad either.

Not all coaches can turn things around at all clubs. Sometimes the fit just isn't there. Football sides are a business now. Carlton aren't the off field giant they once were and this situation with Mick is going to continue to really affect the bottom line in a multitude of ways, the key being membership. So "stick by Mick" isn't that simple in 2015 as it may have been in say 2005 or so. Carlton wants to move to the MCG. To do that, they need to be able to reach and maintain 50K membership. That's simply not going to happen while Mick is coach. It's just not. For the sake of it's own future, Carlton needs to actually legitimately do it's due dilligence on a new coach to make sure they get someone who is the right fit for Carlton and stick by them through a true rebuild.

With Richmond, they have been the laughing stock of the entire competition in regards to recruiting for an eternity. It wasn't that long ago they gave is pick 30 odd for Hampson and previously to that took Tambling highly. I think Hardwick has done ok but hasn't been supplied well, they are still and have been for a long time a team with many holes.

Mick started the rebuild the moment he arrived at Carlton, particularly when key players chose to walk on the club. I've seen teams sack their coach mid-rebuild. It's seriously bad news. Melbourne come to mind. We're barely halfway through our rebuild, I don't think we should touch the coach. What we need is really good list management and really good recruiting.

People don't get that wins and losses are irrelevant at Carlton at the moment.

Malthouse was picked up for the wrong purpose by Kernahan and co. It wasn't Ratten's coaching that was the missing link it was our drafting and list management and that has basically doomed us to being a bottom side.

I think Malthouse is the right person to rebuild a list, I've seen him do it, but he didn't do it alone, as you would know Hine at Collingwood is an exceptionally good recruiter. We've just sacked two head recruiters in the last few years and we've shown no signs we've got it right.

It takes a team of real high quality people to rebuild a football club. SOS may be a good recruiter and Mick is a good coach but the quality of the people Mick had at Collingwood and has at Carlton are miles and miles apart.

I don't think Malthouse is the wrong choice, I think he's a good choice, but it's his support staff that appear fairly sceptical choices. He needs support staff that can supply him with the best players possible, trade competently and assist in developing the players.

If we don't give the people the necessary time to achieve their goals and build a side, we'll never know if it will work. I know Carlton have another 4 or 5 years of building. It would be

You're wrong about Carlton not being able to reach 50K members with Mick there. Carlton will reach 50K members when they start receiving genuine success. At least participating in preliminary finals and finishing top 4. It's been 15 years since we have done so. It's got nothing to do with the coach, it's all about success. Regardless of who is in charge, we are a long way from achieving success and anyone who is in charge of Carlton will be the villain while we are a loser side. Our supporter base like most other supporter bases are influenced purely by mass wins and premierships.

Ratten scraped into finals apart from 2011 but even then we were further away than that. Mick got us to scrape into finals as well but chose to rebuild the team instead of topping up and overpaying to keep misfits which needed to be done. We haven't drafted any decent footballers since 2009. Here are our first round picks from 2009 Lucas, Watson and Bootsma and the rest are no better. That's why we are where we are. Our older players have deteriorated since mick took over. Jamison, Walker, Carrazzo, Judd, Simpson, Scotland, Mclean, Duigan have all deteriorated through age or retired and this is massive, especially for a team like us who have had very few good young players coming through. Garlett, Betts and Waite did not want to play the team role and left. If you think it's the coaching after really looking at our situation, even Stevie Wonder can see that we're a basket case put in this situation purely by our recruiting and list management.

We are an extremely long term project. We've been smashed by GWS/GCS coming in and taking a lot of early picks during our last build. We've been smashed buy our recruiting and poor player character assessment. We've been smashed by free agency, we would have never lost players like Betts and Waite for nothing in the past. Dale Thomas was not a mistake, he's been an extremely good player for the duration of his career, cost us nothing but money and has had a horrid run with injury. We're probably about to get smashed from the AFL conveniently changing the father son rules. We are currently being hunted by a blood thirsty media who have turned many of our lesser knowledgeable fans blood thirsty as well.

Like it or not we are a long term project.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

With Richmond, they have been the laughing stock of the entire competition in regards to recruiting for an eternity. It wasn't that long ago they gave is pick 30 odd for Hampson and previously to that took Tambling highly. I think Hardwick has done ok but hasn't been supplied well, they are still and have been for a long time a team with many holes.

Mick started the rebuild the moment he arrived at Carlton, particularly when key players chose to walk on the club. I've seen teams sack their coach mid-rebuild. It's seriously bad news. Melbourne come to mind. We're barely halfway through our rebuild, I don't think we should touch the coach. What we need is really good list management and really good recruiting.

People don't get that wins and losses are irrelevant at Carlton at the moment.

Malthouse was picked up for the wrong purpose by Kernahan and co. It wasn't Ratten's coaching that was the missing link it was our drafting and list management and that has basically doomed us to being a bottom side.

I think Malthouse is the right person to rebuild a list, I've seen him do it, but he didn't do it alone, as you would know Hine at Collingwood is an exceptionally good recruiter. We've just sacked two head recruiters in the last few years and we've shown no signs we've got it right.

It takes a team of real high quality people to rebuild a football club. SOS may be a good recruiter and Mick is a good coach but the quality of the people Mick had at Collingwood and has at Carlton are miles and miles apart.

I don't think Malthouse is the wrong choice, I think he's a good choice, but it's his support staff that appear fairly sceptical choices. He needs support staff that can supply him with the best players possible, trade competently and assist in developing the players.

If we don't give the people the necessary time to achieve their goals and build a side, we'll never know if it will work. I know Carlton have another 4 or 5 years of building. It would be

You're wrong about Carlton not being able to reach 50K members with Mick there. Carlton will reach 50K members when they start receiving genuine success. At least participating in preliminary finals and finishing top 4. It's been 15 years since we have done so. It's got nothing to do with the coach, it's all about success. Regardless of who is in charge, we are a long way from achieving success and anyone who is in charge of Carlton will be the villain while we are a loser side. Our supporter base like most other supporter bases are influenced purely by mass wins and premierships.

Ratten scraped into finals apart from 2011 but even then we were further away than that. Mick got us to scrape into finals as well but chose to rebuild the team instead of topping up and overpaying to keep misfits which needed to be done. We haven't drafted any decent footballers since 2009. Here are our first round picks from 2009 Lucas, Watson and Bootsma and the rest are no better. That's why we are where we are. Our older players have deteriorated since mick took over. Jamison, Walker, Carrazzo, Judd, Simpson, Scotland, Mclean, Duigan have all deteriorated through age or retired and this is massive, especially for a team like us who have had very few good young players coming through. Garlett, Betts and Waite did not want to play the team role and left. If you think it's the coaching after really looking at our situation, even Stevie Wonder can see that we're a basket case put in this situation purely by our recruiting and list management.

We are an extremely long term project. We've been smashed by GWS/GCS coming in and taking a lot of early picks during our last build. We've been smashed buy our recruiting and poor player character assessment. We've been smashed by free agency, we would have never lost players like Betts and Waite for nothing in the past. Dale Thomas was not a mistake, he's been an extremely good player for the duration of his career, cost us nothing but money and has had a horrid run with injury. We're probably about to get smashed from the AFL conveniently changing the father son rules. We are currently being hunted by a blood thirsty media who have turned many of our lesser knowledgeable fans blood thirsty as well.

Like it or not we are a long term project.

Taking all that in, Mick is still a HUGE failure at Carlton. He is shight. Give me Ratts every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I'll take being competitive please. Goodbye Mick, and good riddance. Going to take a long time to clean out the trash that he's brought to the club. That's his legacy.

Taking all that in, Mick is still a HUGE failure at Carlton. He is shight. Give me Ratts every day of the week and twice on Sundays. I'll take being competitive please. Goodbye Mick, and good riddance. Going to take a long time to clean out the trash that he's brought to the club. That's his legacy.

We would be going exactly the same if Ratts was up in the coaches box, this was a long time coming for us, we set this up years ago and now we are paying.

No matter who is in our coaches box, no matter if we had have kept Ratten, we'd still be as bad as we are.

We would be going exactly the same if Ratts was up in the coaches box, this was a long time coming for us, we set this up years ago and now we are paying.

No matter who is in our coaches box, no matter if we had have kept Ratten, we'd still be as bad as we are.

No you don't know that. All you know is what is reality, and that is that mick is one of the biggest failures in the history of our club. To suggest it would've been the same regardless of who we had appointed or kept, is just pure speculation at best.

I am neither for or against MM staying this year & beyond, but his comments that contradict those of the football department are bewildering to me, I understand his mindset is to try & align himself with the players, but sometimes its better to say nothing.

After tonight's late inclusion of Warnock for Carrazzo, I'm inclined to agree with the calls for Mick's head.

I cannot think of a single reason to bring Warnock into the side to replace a midfielder (tho I cant think of a single thing Warnock actually brings to the team anyway...) when you have both Buckley and Ellard also named as emergencies.

If anyone can possisbly tell me what Mick was thinking it would be appreciated. To me, it looks like the action of a coach that has been told that his contract is not being renewed at the end of the year and has given up on the season.

I am neither for or against MM staying this year & beyond, but his comments that contradict those of the football department are bewildering to me, I understand his mindset is to try & align himself with the players, but sometimes its better to say nothing.
Mick changed his tune and criticised the "rebuild" phrase because he is trying to make excuses for himself. He was pretty forthcoming about our lack of talent in many post match press conferences. But that was then this is now, he is arse covering.

Did any of you guys catch the Triple M interview with Steven Trigg? For me, reading between the lines, I would almost suggest that the next time they talk, it could be stumps for Mick at Carlton.

Steven Trigg: “There’s potentially a point (where Mick and the club could part ways)."

Warnock in for Carrazzo? Get ****** dickhead. Surely graham must have done something to Kristy for mick to be so against him. Warnock has definitely added a different dimension, this is probably our worst game for clearances this season.

Last edited by a moderator:
After tonight's late inclusion of Warnock for Carrazzo, I'm inclined to agree with the calls for Mick's head.

I cannot think of a single reason to bring Warnock into the side to replace a midfielder (tho I cant think of a single thing Warnock actually brings to the team anyway...) when you have both Buckley and Ellard also named as emergencies.

If anyone can possisbly tell me what Mick was thinking it would be appreciated. To me, it looks like the action of a coach that has been told that his contract is not being renewed at the end of the year and has given up on the season.

The selection committee, for which Mick is ultimately responsible, has made a number howlers over the last few weeks. As much as I wanted Mick to succeed against all the odds (and still do) I can't see it happening. When even the least football literate contributors in this place would pick better teams for game day and building for the future then the writing is on the wall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back