Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure there is a gameplan, but the players are terrified of making mistakes they have lost all confidence when they have the footy.
I don't usually support sacking a coach mid year, but if Mick stays until the end of the year he might do a whole lot more damage.

You are right that there is a game plan and that the players have lost all confidence when they have the footy. That is because the game plan, whatever it is, is rubbish. The players have lost all confidence when they don't have the footy too.

I disagree MM will do any significant long term damage from here on until the end of the season. MM was never the Messiah but nor is he the Devil.

Let's try and look at this situation without emotion and angst, the really big question that has to be addressed is "what is in the best interests of the Carlton Football Club ?".

Sitting 1-5 with one of the most respected coaches in the games history looking bedraggled & completely lost means only one thing, change has to come, the question is when ??

If the club doesn't show any leadership now, there could be pitchforks & torches outside Princes Park later in the week. Leaving Malthouse to serve out his contract is not going to do anything to re-engage fans as the CEO has stated is a dedicated aim.

Carlton people are somewhat fickle right now and are going to vote with their feet. The older ones like me have not known premiership droughts like this and the younger ones only know of wooden spoons and substandard efforts - both are not what this club is all about.

The board cannot make kneejerk reaction decisions just to appease the masses, but they must make smart business decisions to improve the club overall even if it means going through some pain & anguish to make them.

Off-field, there has been a raft of key changes to the club (new pres, new CEO, new list manager etc) so it appears that change is coming albeit slowly.

The one area that hasn't been put under the microscope thoroughly yet is the Football Dept of which Malthouse is part of.

Here are the people now in the firing line :

Those in red in my opinion need to be stood down at the end of the season, coaching staff are not up to it and the conditioning & rehab people are hardly delivering world class athletes.

For the good of the club and for some calm around the club, the board should negotiate a separation now with Malthouse and get Laidley to step in as Caretaker for the remainder of the season.

At the conclusion of the season, all personnel highlighted must be terminated & a thorough search be concluded (the club can line-up replacements during the rest of this season) with an all-new group brought in to start afresh in 2016.

I cannot see any reason for Malthouse to stay on till the end of the season, he will still be paid the remainder of his contract and can spend more time with his wife who has ill health.

I dont understand enough about medical and high performance to understand if the guys in there are qualified or doing a decent job, but from the outside it is clear the conditioning of our players is disgraceful, none of them can run out games and even there body shapes look less lean than a lot of our rivals.... We currently have virtually no injuries and a full list to choose from so what is going on...

The whole coaching staff needs to go, and I agree Andy McKay was there as a mate of Sticks and has appeared to make some horrendous decisions so should fall on his sword.

The hard thing is going to attract good assistant coaches to us, as most of them will know we are ages off and coming to Carlton is not likely to advance there careers into a senior coaching spotlight, so we need to look at a mix of ex senior coach and young inexperienced assistants.

What about a coaching set up of -
GM of Football Operations - Short of poaching someone like Chris Fagan or Neil Blame, not 100% sure who has the strategic ability for this role, perhaps someone like Peter Sumich.
Senior Coach - Leigh Tudor
Director of Coaching & Development - Guy McKenna

Senior Assistant Coach – Dale Amos
Assistant Coach Midfield– Luke Ball
Assistant Coach Midfield– Jude Bolton
Assistant Coach Forward- Nick Riewolt (should he retire at season end) Adam Goodes or Jonathan Brown.
Assistant Coach Defence- Corey Enright (should he retire) or Matthew Scarlett, Darren Glass, Nick Maxwell.

I dont understand enough about medical and high performance to understand if the guys in there are qualified or doing a decent job, but from the outside it is clear the conditioning of our players is disgraceful, none of them can run out games and even there body shapes look less lean than a lot of our rivals.... We currently have virtually no injuries and a full list to choose from so what is going on...

The whole coaching staff needs to go, and I agree Andy McKay was there as a mate of Sticks and has appeared to make some horrendous decisions so should fall on his sword.

The hard thing is going to attract good assistant coaches to us, as most of them will know we are ages off and coming to Carlton is not likely to advance there careers into a senior coaching spotlight, so we need to look at a mix of ex senior coach and young inexperienced assistants.

What about a coaching set up of -
GM of Football Operations - Short of poaching someone like Chris Fagan or Neil Blame, not 100% sure who has the strategic ability for this role, perhaps someone like Peter Sumich.
Senior Coach - Leigh Tudor
Director of Coaching & Development - Guy McKenna

Senior Assistant Coach – Dale Amos
Assistant Coach Midfield– Luke Ball
Assistant Coach Midfield– Jude Bolton
Assistant Coach Forward- Nick Riewolt (should he retire at season end) Adam Goodes or Jonathan Brown.
Assistant Coach Defence- Corey Enright (should he retire) or Matthew Scarlett, Darren Glass, Nick Maxwell.

N-Roo is playing next year.

Sorry DVB, this seems slightly revisionist to suit your support of Mick. I wanted Ratts final year to be honoured, but yes the recruiting back then was diabolical compared to now. But if I remember well enough there was some very good football played under Ratten that has not been played under Malthouse.
I simply ask myself this: is this team playing better now than it did under Ratten?

Look, I am finally getting around to the Mick's got to go camp, but I honestly think people are probably sugar-coating the Ratten era, I honestly never felt we were a genuine premiership chance during his tenure as coach.

What I will say, the board (and some fans) were deluded enough to think we could do better than Ratts, and he was unceremoniously dumped.

However, I am led to believe Ratten's working relationship deteriorated badly in his final season, and after the Gold Coast fiasco it seemed to have become untenable ..

In hindsight, I would have kept Ratts as coach and dumped the troublemakers who no longer wanted to play for him (believe 2 of them are now at another club)

For too long now, the lunatics at this asylum (nuffies on the board, meddling billionaire sugar daddies who thinks blood money created by pokies revenue gives them a say on football operations, and spoilt, undisciplined players) have dragged this once great club down to a cesspoll of mediocrity.

When the new coach comes in, it has to be with total autonomy and say its 'my way or the highway' type of Teutonic man-management, when it comes to the handling of players, assistant coaches and recruiting staff.

Its time to cut ties with The Pratt family, Mathiesons, and other rich benefactors who have had too much say in our footy club, and lets forge our own identity again, the modern day powerhouse that Ronald Dale (Barassi) and Parko built ..

Good, dedicated people is what's needed at our footy club, not more bundles of cash that we end up pissing away on crap like The Legends Stand at PP FFS.

Here endth the sermon.

#WITHALLTHECHAMPIONS

Third year into his contract and we look worse than ever before. Players still look lost. We play a brand of football that resembles the under 15's local league. I watch other teams play, and im not talking about just Freo but even teams that just sit above us and they have structure...they build up play well...compare it to what we dish up each week and we are clearly behind every other team. I'm sick of seeing us hoof the ball up the wing or even worse, winning the centre clearances and managing to hoof it 50m up in the air expecting Wayne Carey to split packs at CHF. We are so predictable and easy to stop.

We took the punt and went with an experienced coach who is a legend of the game and it hasnt paid off. Others went for younger coaches and it paid off...to think so many good younger coaches were around waiting to get given their chance and we missed out on them.

The lure of Malthouse was hanging over more than the board.

Apparently Jeanne Pratt was very keen on Mick, plus we have that bloody pokies king, whom ironically I believe wanted Mick replaced in the middle of last season ..

I'm sure there is a gameplan, but the players are terrified of making mistakes they have lost all confidence when they have the footy.
I don't usually support sacking a coach mid year, but if Mick stays until the end of the year he might do a whole lot more damage.

Sad to say that this is now exactly how I feel. I'm worried the style and way we are playing is going to destroy some of our more promising young players.

I think he has to go, the sooner now the better. But I think quite a few of the assistants need to as well and that probably wont happen until season's end.

We took the punt and went with an experienced coach who is a legend of the game and it hasnt paid off. Others went for younger coaches and it paid off...to think so many good younger coaches were around waiting to get given their chance and we missed out on them.

To be fair, there has been a number of these 'younger' coaches who were tried and failed too, you only have to look at Watters & Neeld as a starting point.

There was always the chance that we could of appointed one of the chaps who didn't cut it and everyone would of been up in arms.

At the time of the Malthouse appointment, it seemed like an astute and progressive move. Three years down the track and something has gone horribly wrong.

It would be fair to surmise that our next coaching appointment will be one of the new guys on the block, we just have to pray that we get the right one (or one of them).

At the time of the Malthouse appointment, it seemed like an astute and progressive move. Three years down the track and something has gone horribly wrong.

I don't agree it was seen this way - a lot of people cringed at the lack of due process after our past experience with Pagan and Ratten. If Malthouse was the best man for the job so be it - but at least go through an extensive interview process with other candidates and show it. It was a bad start when Mick was MIA the first trade period for the book launch and it's been pretty much downhill since.

Apparently Jeanne Pratt was very keen on Mick, plus we have that bloody pokies king, whom ironically I believe wanted Mick replaced in the middle of last season ..

well Jeannie is an astute football judge, have to laugh at amateur clubs like Hawthorn that relied on guys like Dunstall to make the tough calls on who should coach!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

To be fair, there has been a number of these 'younger' coaches who were tried and failed too, you only have to look at Watters & Neeld as a starting point.

There was always the chance that we could of appointed one of the chaps who didn't cut it and everyone would of been up in arms.

It would be fair to surmise that our next coaching appointment will be one of the new guys on the block, we just have to pray that we get the right one (or one of them).
Watters and Neeld were ex Malthouse assistants who failed, but you can add McCartney and Sanderson who were Bomber Thompson's boys to the list of failed coaches. It is infinitely harder in the top job for a team that needs to replace their coach.

Some people have suggested we pick up Bolton from Hawthorn. Would love to see how his cheery disposition changes when the team he coaches dishes up what Carlton has in the last 2 weeks and how he manages the media then.

Gary O'Donnell was a certainty to replace Sheedy as Coach until one press conference when he filled in as Coach showed he didn't have what it takes.

I don't agree it was seen this way - a lot of people cringed at the lack of due process after our past experience with Pagan and Ratten. If Malthouse was the best man for the job so be it - but at least go through an extensive interview process with other candidates and show it. It was a bad start when Mick was MIA the first trade period for the book launch and it's been pretty much downhill since.

I thought the whole process with Ratten's departure was very poorly handled and made our administrators look very amateurish.

However, the end result of securing Malthouse was certainly a very good one.

I think you have to keep the two issues separate.

I thought the whole process with Ratten's departure was very poorly handled and made our administrators look very amateurish.

However, the end result of securing Malthouse was certainly a very good one.

I think you have to keep the two issues separate.

Malthouse had no other offers, there was no pressure on us to sign him. It could have waited till season's end, we could have interviewed multiple candidates. This is why it all comes back to the board, it's been one cluster**** for 10-15 years now and unless that changes a new coach won't be the panacea we need.

Unseemly haste: http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...se-the-favourite/story-e6frf9io-1226461524563

Yes I agree, once the decision was made to flick Ratten Malthouse was the best available coach.. However what he has shown since being in the job is that for what ever reason he hasnt adapted to the latest trends in coaching and it has well and truly gone past him. His stock standard game plan simply does not work.

Yep, it's a good thing those days are behind us. liamjones.jpg.gif.png

Someone asked why he's still playing, and I think the answer is obvious - we're trying to save face. Signing a guy for three years then being forced to dump him into the VFL because he's so awful is a terrible look for the club's footy department.

It's a terrible look keeping him in the side whilst not giving Watson a go

Can the club stop sitting on the fence with MM, we aren't stupid we all know his not gonna coach next year. MM him self probably knows his gone even if they haven't told him.

Watters and Neeld were ex Malthouse assistants who failed, but you can add McCartney and Sanderson who were Bomber Thompson's boys to the list of failed coaches. It is infinitely harder in the top job for a team that needs to replace their coach.

Some people have suggested we pick up Bolton from Hawthorn. Would love to see how his cheery disposition changes when the team he coaches dishes up what Carlton has in the last 2 weeks and how he manages the media then.

Gary O'Donnell was a certainty to replace Sheedy as Coach until one press conference when he filled in as Coach showed he didn't have what it takes.

I get a 'Luke Beveridge' vibe about Leigh Tudor, apparently he has just missed the gig at a couple of clubs like Footscray.

Nathan Bassett doesn't fill me with confidence, he might be too aggressive for Sa young, fractured playing list down on confidence ..

Reckon the senior leaders of this footy club (not Murphy FYI) have shown zilch, zero, zippo leadership traits to our young boys, Rowe was good yesterday, but not convinced he is the CHB/BP type leader Luke Hodge is.

The Doctor could be the Luke Hodge we are after, absolutely stood up this year, shown real leadership qualities. Would like him to play with a bit more aggro. Forget his silly snipe on Swallow, I reckon Hodge's aggression is a big reason why he is the best captain in the league right now.

I get a 'Luke Beveridge' vibe about Leigh Tudor, apparently he has just missed the gig at a couple of clubs like Footscray.

Nathan Bassett doesn't fill me with confidence, he might be too aggressive for Sa young, fractured playing list down on confidence ..

Reckon the senior leaders of this footy club (not Murphy FYI) have shown zilch, zero, zippo leadership traits to our young boys, Rowe was good yesterday, but not convinced he is the CHB/BP type leader Luke Hodge is.

The Doctor could be the Luke Hodge we are after, absolutely stood up this year, shown real leadership qualities. Would like him to play with a bit more aggro. Forget his silly snipe on Swallow, I reckon Hodge's aggression is a big reason why he is the best captain in the league right now.

Don't follow your logic there DVB. Bassett too aggressive for a young list but Hodge's aggression is the panacea?

The poor young (and old)players need to suck it up

Well the complaints by some on this board are that Mick is (supposedly) too tough/hard on the players, I am
Speculating Bassett would be worse in that regard...

Don't follow your logic there DVB. Bassett too aggressive for a young list but Hodge's aggression is the panacea?

I know it may seem a tad hypocritical, but i just don't feel someone who is obviously going to be a strict disciplinarian like Bassett is going to be helpful for a team with our list.

On the other hand, we do need leaders on-field who sometimes have 'white light fever' like Hodge, its a bit embarrassing to see one of our high profile vice captains being thrown around like a rag doll several times already this season, must be so deflating to the playing group.

Anyhow, very confident Bassett won't be our next coach, honestly don't think we go down that path.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back