Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
90% of the time we'll as a whole support the clubs decision at the time.

I was fine with losing Waite but I didn't suspect us to try and replace him with Jones.

Losing 2nd stringers who would be good depth at worst for nothing isn't great list management.

I'm just sick of watching players excel at other clubs while we get screwed over.

For a club on the bottom we've lost far too many players for little gain.
I think though it points to the quality or otherwise of a number of players who were on our list. The AFL didn't rate Waite, while Robinson & Garlett have respectively moved from one ordinary club to another one.

The reality is Jones was recruited to make sure we actually had more than a couple of mature tall forwards on our list. Already we have seen Henderson miss games this season, while Kreuzer is yet to play senior football this season. Throw in the loss of Jamison to injury & our KPP stocks are being stretched.

Yet again, we are being split into two camps... and again by the poor performances of the players.

In one camp, there are the people who want Mick to finish out the year and for the club in the meantime to have a full review and to be actively chasing a new coach for the club. Mick should be allowed to fulfill his contract with the club even to the detriment of the club. The rich benefactors recruited him and forced him on us fait accompli and sacked a coach who still had a year to run on his contract (making sure that they didnt put their hands in their pockets to either payout Ratten or pay for the sacking of some of the assistants who went at the same time).

In the other camp, you have people who want the coach to be sacked immediately and a caretaker coach appointed... and a smaller subset of this camp are of the opinion that we need to get rid of all the assistants at the same time as the senior coach.

Unfortunately for all of us... the club won't do a proper review and hold a full blown interview because one of the rich benefactors will have their favourite to take over and if they have the numbers on the board, they will get their way. If Barker is made caretaker, you can be assured that he will be kissing arse like a champion for the year and will point to the number of games he won after the club disposed of Mick as to a good reason for keeping him on. And once again, if he can align himself with one of the rich benefactors, he will get the job.

Make no mistake... there will be no interview process because one of the rich benefactors will use their sway on the board to get the coach they want!

And if they make a mistake and get us another burnt out coach... they won't take the blame... the club will.

If anyone thinks by sacking the coach that we will be back to our former glories, then you're wrong. There is something seriously wrong at the club. Most of the blame lies with the players. Our list is 'B' grade at best. When our 'A' graders are injured or out of form or coming to the end of their careers, we are going to struggle.

I want the club to take it's time and take a more holistic view. Short term sugar hits will not bring us the success that we all crave. SOS performing an audit of our playing list is a start. I think that we also start looking at the whole football department from the senior coach down.

says a lot about Malthouse's 'drawing power'...NONE

No, its says more about the penny pinchers at board level that for years wouldn't put money into the footy dept for better assistant coaches etc

Barker was at the club for years before Mick arrived. But sadly you are so blinded by bitter hate of Mick, that you are unable to deal in facts ..

On the whole worsfold thing, was it just me or did he look like he was on the verge of a mental breakdown in his last season with the eagles?! I think one has-been coach is enough.. bring in a coach with new and fresh ideas? Am I right in saying the 2 most experienced coaches currently sit bottom 2? I'd do anything to have our blues play with the heart and passion of say the bulldogs.

No, its says more about the penny pinchers at board level that for years wouldn't put money into the footy dept for better assistant coaches etc

Barker was at the club for years before Mick arrived. But sadly you are so blinded by bitter hate of Mick, that you are unable to deal in facts ..

Perhaps it was because Malthouse was taking up so much of the budget with his whopper salary that there was no more cash left for the assistants.

On the whole worsfold thing, was it just me or did he look like he was on the verge of a mental breakdown in his last season with the eagles?! I think one has-been coach is enough.. bring in a coach with new and fresh ideas? Am I right in saying the 2 most experienced coaches currently sit bottom 2? I'd do anything to have our blues play with the heart and passion of say the bulldogs.

Kids like Cripps, Buckley, BB will play with heart and passion but for older players like Gibbs and Walker, forget it, they are a lost cause and need to be expunged/traded out for more young players with the prerequisite 'ticker' this club needs.

Perhaps it was because Malthouse was taking up so much of the budget with his whopper salary that there was no more cash left for the assistants.

A club of our resources should be able to nab a decent coaching panel, despite the salary Mick is earning, as I said, the previous board were rather simplistic in their outlook, they could have afforded to replace Green, Capuano and Barker with better credentialed people but decided to keep their wallets shut.

Its probably another reason why Mick will see the season out, don't want to pay him out in one lump sum for the rest of his tenure

A club of our resources??? This is the view that has us in trouble... We are not one of the rich clubs anymore.. Dick Pratt saved us from bankruptcy and the club is solely leveraged on the $ that the pokies king brings in... Our membership is pathetic, I would suspect we wouldn't be in the top 6 in terms of sponsorship $ received and would be getting worse as our brand stinks it up..

A club of our resources??? This is the view that has us in trouble... We are not one of the rich clubs anymore.. Dick Pratt saved us from bankruptcy and the club is solely leveraged on the $ that the pokies king brings in... Our membership is pathetic, I would suspect we wouldn't be in the top 6 in terms of sponsorship $ received and would be getting worse as our brand stinks it up..

I have it on pretty good authority that with the membership stuff up at the start of the year and our current state of crowds and low merchandise sales we will lose between $1.5 - $2.0 million this year.

I'm a Mick fan and I'm grateful for everything he did at the Pies. Unfortunately I don't think he can do anything at the Blues now.
I think a new coach with a fresh approach is needed. I feel sorry for my Blues mates as even though the talent might not be there yet, the players seem to be playing without much heart.

The kids still have it and I think you need a new coach before they lose their motivation too.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I have it on pretty good authority that with the membership stuff up at the start of the year and our current state of crowds and low merchandise sales we will lose between $1.5 - $2.0 million this year.

Does not surprise me one bit, and what will we do.. we will run to Bruce and Jeannie with our hands out who of course are then going to expect some say and influence over the direction of the club. We need to start looking at ourselves like a North Melbourne, Bulldogs & Port Adelaide and start building the club from the ground up rather than with the typical Carlton arrogance we are used to.

Brendan Bolton needs to be our next coach.
I like him, too.
He's done his apprenticeship with Alistair Clarkson, and regardless of what people thought of him as a player, he's a bloody successful coach. He's on the approved list of coaches completing the accreditation and he's had a small taste of it when Clarkson was unwell.

I still have some belief in the older guys. It was hard enough watching Fev leave. then 2/3rds of the little helpers. Watching gibbs leave would kill me, those #1 picks gave me something to look forward to after all those dark years. Gibbs most of all. It's hard enough watching all the others succeed elsewhere but our number one picks would be unforgivable!! Its great we have sos as list manager, now all we need is a coach who can make us believe again and lil bit of patience. Mind you i dont think we would be anywhere near as bad if we had stuck
with ratten, a man who bled blue and always had the clubs best interest at heart. But maybe i'm just bitter and living in the past.

Kids like Cripps, Buckley, BB will play with heart and passion but for older players like Gibbs and Walker, forget it, they are a lost cause and need to be expunged/traded out for more young players with the prerequisite 'ticker' this club needs.

I agree, you look at the senior players like Nick Riewolt, Montagna, Robert Murphy, Kane Cornes etc who have stuck around to bring through and develop the next generation of the kids... All of those players have had a sustained period of success and prepared to do the hard yards for the jumper... Murphy and Gibbs have only known a battling club and had 1 good season in there careers, i just dont think they have the fight and will in them to do the hard yards it will take..

Bolton wouldn't be a bad idea...it would be a shock to his system when seeing what we have compared to what he has at the hawks now...but still at least he'll know what needs to happen to be at the top of "todays" game. Would be cheeky and say that Ratten is at that club now too, i wonder if he is a good option of coming back lol.

Anyway....im hearing good things about Tudor. Thoughts??

First thing I would do is bring Guy McKenna in front of the board and get him to explain what he has learnt from his time at Gold Coast. Specific grilling about culture and player behaviour this year and what it was like under him - see if he has the balls to be truthfull and honest about his performance and see if his view on our list reconciles with the recent audit conducted by SOS. (Get him to go through each player seperately and then compare this to the ideas in the SOS report).

If everything lines up, sign him up as an assistant coach, and make him part of the match selection committee. Pay him a nominal fee like an apprentice and see how he performs and gets along with the team. If things seem to click, then Mick steps to the side a little later in the season, and McKenna takes the top job for the rest of the season (Laidley wont do it, and none of our other assistants are qualified enough IMO).....then we do a full review at year end.

It works for us for multiple reasons. It gives us first look at a guy with AFL experience who actually seemingly had Gold Coast performing quite well, so we lower the risk of signing a 5 year contract with an unknown. He will have a good look at the assistants around to decide who he wants to keep. And if things arent clicking, then we can go with someone else at the end of the season.

in Slobbo's article this morning in the Herald Sun, many candidates were mentioned. Why was Bassett not one of them? does accreditation as a coach matter?

Ask any Weagles supporter - cooked. Twice-cooked coach would be very tough and possibly toxic.

First thing I would do is bring Guy McKenna in front of the board and get him to explain what he has learnt from his time at Gold Coast. Specific grilling about culture and player behaviour this year and what it was like under him - see if he has the balls to be truthfull and honest about his performance and see if his view on our list reconciles with the recent audit conducted by SOS. (Get him to go through each player seperately and then compare this to the ideas in the SOS report).

If everything lines up, sign him up as an assistant coach, and make him part of the match selection committee. Pay him a nominal fee like an apprentice and see how he performs and gets along with the team. If things seem to click, then Mick steps to the side a little later in the season, and McKenna takes the top job for the rest of the season (Laidley wont do it, and none of our other assistants are qualified enough IMO).....then we do a full review at year end.

It works for us for multiple reasons. It gives us first look at a guy with AFL experience who actually seemingly had Gold Coast performing quite well, so we lower the risk of signing a 5 year contract with an unknown. He will have a good look at the assistants around to decide who he wants to keep. And if things arent clicking, then we can go with someone else at the end of the season.

Horrible idea and no way Mckenna would accept those terms, and no way Malthouse would agree to it either.. We need to write off 2015, which MLog did after round 2... its going to be a long year.

in Slobbo's article this morning in the Herald Sun, many candidates were mentioned. Why was Bassett not one of them? does accreditation as a coach matter?

Havent you learnt your lesson throughout the whole Essada saga... It was a Robbo article.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back