Opinion Mick Malthouse

What is the next move on Mick?

• Sack him immediately; replacement coach to see out the year.

Votes: 192 48.9%
  • Let him coach out the year then show him the door.

Votes: 70 17.8%
  • Sign him now to give coaches and players some direction.

Votes: 81 20.6%
  • Not sure yet... still too angry to think clearly.

Votes: 50 12.7%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://m.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl...blues-supporters/story-fnp04d70-1227367417552

By Sam Edmund in todays' Herald Sun

Some snippets:

There is a growing feeling among influential Carlton people that the 10-strong panel has grown stale and isn’t fit to lead a club that needs to undergo significant regeneration.

“The big challenge Carlton has got is you’ve got a group of people who have been making the same decisions for the last seven to nine years,” said a source familiar with the workings of the club.

“We’ve moved the deck chairs a little bit, but we’re trying to pin it on Mick. There’s some responsibility that needs to fall upon people who make those decisions because there’s too much blame-game going on.

“It’s very easy to start blaming, but at some stage people have to take responsibility and when each individual takes responsibility then people can make change.

Great article from the Herald Sun (of all places). The heat is well and truly on this board!

Hopefully change is coming!!

Sam is a Carlton Man

If the left hand doesn't know what the right hand is doing, do we chop of the hand which is doing wrong or do we chop off the head?

A Tom Elliott assault on the board doesn't fill me with much confidence as it will just create another faction and do you think Jack will take a back seat? Ideally we would require a clean slate to get everything right, is this even possible? Our board have a lot to answer for.

If your are rebuilding paying a coach a million dollars a year is really poor business as per the Pagan years when he was paid big bucks to coach a side with no draft picks. Have we learn't nothing over the years? People invest money into things when they can see a return not just for love which is why a lot of supporters don't become members.

Mick will coach this Friday night against Sydney, then I suspect its curtains for him (unless we pull off the impossible and win)

Supporting the team I'll never stop doing, watching them week in week out is done for 2015!

If Mick leaves I think we should consider Kirk. By seasons end will have completed a 3 year apprenticeship under Lyon. Won't accept the no tackling pressure attitude of our squad & will know what it takes to build a contested footy side! Thoughts?

I really rate and like Kirk, but apparently he is too much of a 'waccy tabaccy hippie' for some around these parts.

wp_ss_20150525_0001.png

That was posted around 25 mins ago.

Are both or either of you privy to player contracts!
Sometimes this info just falls in your lap. Not sure which one I believe here, but I'd probably lean towards the $600k range.
I know for a fact that Eddie is on $504k with Adelaide (not sure what performance bonuses and such would do to that figure, but definitely on $42k per month).
I'm not privy to player contracts. I don't have an inside contact, and I don't know any other player salaries, but this one I can say with 100% certainty.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sometimes this info just falls in your lap. Not sure which one I believe here, but I'd probably lean towards the $600k range.
I know for a fact that Eddie is on $504k with Adelaide (not sure what performance bonuses and such would do to that figure, but definitely on $42k per month).
I'm not privy to player contracts. I don't have an inside contact, and I don't know any other player salaries, but this one I can say with 100% certainty.

How so.

Have you seen his contract!

Seriously, Carlton has always had trouble attracting members, Carlton fans have been fickle to the extreme in that regard.
We may lose a couple of thousand fans this year but 100% guarantee that they will swarm back when we are successful.

We have to do this right. We can not continue the way we have in the past. That will not bring success.
Successful clubs are built from the TOP down. This is where we see if that is going to happen at our Club.

The President, Board, CEO, Football Manager, List Manager and Coach all have to be on the same page.
If the Coach (in this case) is not (and it appears that way) then they are dispatched at the appropriate time.
This is what our CEO and President have stated will occur. Now they have to be true to that.

We might have difficulty attracting members because of our past. We well and truly cheated the salary cap. We got punished so severely that our club nearly imploded and died. Since then (and possibly before but I can't remember that far back), we've had a board that is dictated to by rich powerbrokers who pull our strings and hold pokies revenue over the club's head. We allow people like Geoffrey Edelstein into the coaches' box. We sack coach after coach, always looking for the quick fix and rarely following a proper process.

The club is a cluster**** of bad decisions and bandaid solutions.

Its quite simple. Players will not play to the best of their ability. Players know that a majority of them are on the chopping block next year. So they have 2 options. 1) all commit and have a crack. Win some games, lose some too but be competitive. Mick possibly gets resigned and majority of the list goes over the next 2 to 3 yrs. 2) Players really stink it up and "force" the club to put in an interim. Players now commit to the contest, play well and possible save their jobs next year under a new coach.

Thanks for the article which being in a Murdoch rag I would not otherwise see. I have a few comments.

Patrick Smith Article
When Carlton locked in Mick Malthouse as coach towards the end of his gap year in 2012 the Blues were entitled to puff up their permanently inflated chest.
No, sacking Ratts to appoint MM was a disgrace particularly if you believe, as Smith apparently does, "that [Carlton] had been coached to its maximum output by Brett Ratten." Surely on that basis alone Ratts was entitled to see out the last year of his contract.

Worse than that disgrace is that the appointment of MM was done without due diligence. There was no effort made to find the best replacement for Ratts. Rather, the Messiah syndrome took over and it was assumed (as it turns out incorrectly) that MM still had something to give as a coach.

Malthouse had walked away from Collingwood where he had reigned for more than a decade. His last three seasons at the club had delivered a grand final (2011), a premiership (2010) and a preliminary final loss (2009) to eventual premiers Geelong.

Malthouse was a coach at the peak of his powers and he knew it. So, it was no surprise he fought a guerilla war of words with Collingwood president Eddie McGuire and his transition plan that would see Malthouse hand over the senior job to Nathan Buckley at the end of 2011. Such was the hubris that covered the club like chocolate topping that year, all churned by Malthouse’s indignation that he was to be supplanted by Buckley, that a second consecutive premiership was just about impossible.

There is an alternative narrative. MM had been a great coach but Collingwood, particularly Eddie, saw that the MM of the late noughties was not the same coach as the coach he appointed. A decade's coaching will do that to a coach. The results in 2009-11 suggest a coach at his peak but what if the success of those years was built on the coaching that had occurred before that time? Obviously something gave Eddie the perception that MM should be replaced (other than a man love for Buckley) since great as that man-love might be, I think his love of Pie success is greater. And events have proved Eddie's intuition correct.

The three-time premiership coach inherited a club that had been coached to its maximum output by Brett Ratten. Now in his third year Malthouse and the club recognise the list is plain, the spirit numb.

That's it folks. That is Smith's analysis of MM's coaching in years 1, 2 and 3. If the list is plain just maybe it has more to do with the dross that has been brought into the club (while Eddie, Laidler, Robinson and Garlett play regularly elsewhere), the failure of MM to ever articulate a coherent game plan to the players, the members or the wider public, and a sentimental attraction to a similar has been in Daisy or a never was in Wood.

It is argued generally that the players no longer play for the coach.

The players? Don’t play for the man who has coached the most games in competition history and won three premierships? How could that be? They ought throw rose petals before him as he struts about the football field.

When journalists put wishy-washy into the articles you can call b/s. Where is it "generally" argued the players no longer play for the coach. How are our on-field performances significantly different from 20113 or 2014 when, presumably, the players were then playing for the coach?

Malthouse says the season has been derailed by president LoGiudice’s early-season announcement that the club was rebuilding; that is AFL code for every man for himself. Then a consideration by chief executive Steve Trigg whether Malthouse, at 61, had the fire and energy to drive a long-term regeneration only further rattled Malthouse’s sense of security.

But last week’s Malthouse declaration — that the public admission the Blues were rebuilding had damaged the season — further soured the relationship between coach and club.

Right now, Malthouse is talking himself out of a job just as he talked himself out of a much grander legacy at Collingwood.

Trigg and the board, under LoGiudice’s rudder, are trying to remake Carlton, a club that has been unable to define what it stands for ever since John Elliott’s era of swagger and smoke. Elliott’s sway stood for many things but no one was ever in doubt Carlton were an arrogant, independent and competitive beast.

Malthouse is damaging his own brand. A coaching legend who has led teams in a record 718 games is distracted by minutiae and the unimportant. He fights with the media over the most meaningless things. Rather than publicly embrace the club’s reinvention he rails against it.

In his final year at Collingwood he went to war against club chief executive Gary Pert and president McGuire. He opted out of the final three years of his lucrative contract to be director of coaching. But he had been so destabilising in his final year as senior coach Collingwood may well have torn up the contract anyway.

If Carlton parts way with Malthouse he will be a hard act to follow.

Let go of it Smith. MM's performance has been so unsatisfactory the man on the moon could do a better job (and not leave his current residence). MM inherited a solid and improving list of players. He passes on a dog's breakfast. The current list's only strength is its midfield which largely derives from Ratts - the only added player since who has had any impact being Cripps. Everything else, the forward line, the backline has been trashed or undeveloped.

But followed he will be. Hawthorn’s premiership coach Alastair Clarkson must be at the top of Carlton’s list of likely replacements. While the Hawks are this season chasing a hat-trick of premierships, they have won just four from eight matches and yet to win two games in a row. Last time the Hawks were similarly placed was in 2009 when they ultimately finished ninth. Even then though they had at least put two wins together, beating West Coast and Carlton in rounds five and six.

Clarkson is out of contract at the end of next season but, given that he has been at the club for a decade, Carlton would not be doing due diligence if they did not speak to the three-time premiership coach.

Yeah, let's pay millions to get Clarkson who is no doubt "as fit as he has ever been" and "firing to coach" a team from the doldrums to a Flag. What rubbish.

The Board should announce its terms (we are Carlton and we stand for something) and seek applications for coach from all comers and NOT engage in "Messiah" syndrome behaviour. The applicants willing to accept the terms (first contract for 1 year only) can then be considered and whoever makes the most sense in terms of developing a list to play a game style that will win a Flag should be given the gig. In the applicant's presentation it will be clear what the markers for progress are in 2016. If the applicant meets those markers they will be offered a further contract.

Yeah, let's pay millions to get Clarkson who is no doubt "as fit as he has ever been" and "firing to coach" a team from the doldrums to a Flag. What rubbish.

The Board should announce its terms (we are Carlton and we stand for something) and seek applications for coach from all comers and NOT engage in "Messiah" syndrome behaviour.

This. 1,000 times this.

Malthouse (in his own words) won't quit? That's fine. It sounds like the club has already made their decision, whether Malthouse forced their hand with his comments last week or otherwise. Make it official that his contract won't be renewed but honour it and put it on him to keep his word that he'll see out the season.

In the mean time start a proper search for a new coach. One that is realistic about where the club sits at the moment. We already have SOS on board to manage the list - find a coach that can work with him on a proper strategy for the future.

You want to consider tried-and-true premiership coaches like Woosha and Clarko? Go for it. But for god's sake take the blinders off and look elsewhere... look everywhere.

Rucci has penned an blog/discussion about Mick in the Adelaide Addy today, with several pertinent points I agree with.

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...om-1230pm-monday/story-fnia3nqh-1227367376341

Carlton's appalling recruiting since 2009 that highlights some traditional VFL clubs — in particular the Blues — have never adjusted from opening a cheque book to secure ready-made talent to understand the new AFL is about salary caps, drafts, player development and list management.

I don't think anyone can argue with this, except I'd go so far as to say this has been a problem at our club for nigh on 20 years (or close to it)

MEDIA personalities, including former Carlton players behind microphones, who have carried long and bitter memories of their clashes with Malthouse — either physical on the field in the old VFL or verbally in the over-exposed new AFL

Mark Maclure, say no more, there as to more to than just simplistic ranting to Sellers somewhat constant bitter attacks on MM ..

MEMBERS who have cancelled automatic renewals on their memberships — to send a strong message to the club administration that just a fortnight ago thought Malthouse was the man to engineer a “rebuild” at Carlton. And the Blues fans who have declared their protest by abandoning the team (as Port Adelaide remembers from the tarp era at Football Park).

This is what really grinds my gears, supporters who are 'extorting/black mailing' the club (or terms to that effect) by not purchasing much needed memberships, on account of not liking Mick or demanding a change in coach, and not attending games either. This isn't directed at anyone on this forum FYI, but just a general pet hate of mine about all fans. Financial restraints/work commitments or starting a new family/travelling are pretty good reasons for not renewing memberships, but supporters who refuse to buy memberships on account of not liking the coach or telling the club they will only renew once Mick is replaced, are the type of supporter who can't be relied upon/counted on, when the chips are down.

And this is part of the reason why I'd want Mick to stay on till end of the season, no club should never indulge the whims of the members/fans who want a coach going immediately through the season, in my opinion, a club membership does not entail to you on how to dictate to the football dept how it should run it's business, if you want meaningful and proactive change at the club, enroll for voting rights, and take part in the annual general meeting/board voting elections. True supporters renew their memberships (if they have the means) year in, year out, no matter what, look at Richmond's membership numbers, over 30 years of mediocrity/lemons thrown in their faces, and they have a membership base nearly double ours (this year)
Think the Carlton faithful can take a leaf out of Richmond's book about loyalty, and sticking fat through the tough times.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back