Strategy MIDFIELD - 2015

Remove this Banner Ad

This may well be the year we start seeing the changing of the guard where our midfield is concerned.
The core group of mids setting up at centre bounces largely came from Gibbs, Murphy, Curnow along with Judd and Carrazzo, even though they only participated for half of last year.
I didn't see all the games so I'm happy to be corrected but whichever way, one may expect to see some new faces at the coal-face this year.

Given there are approximately 25 goals per game, that would give you 26 occasions to get first hands on the ball through centre bounces efforts.

Thomas - Now that he's got his spring back, I'd expect him to rotated through the centre a lot more than last year.
Cripps - May well be the guy that gets the first shot at being our extractor. Club has high hopes...Cripps is high in courage.
Graham - Opportunity the key. Can play at this level and has an innate understanding of where the ball will go. Blue collar worker but that's O.K.
Menzel - This year would be a great starting point for someone who won't waste too many possession and thinks well ahead of the game.
Whiley - A largely unknown quantity but he has all the right attributes to give things a shake.
Docherty - Maybe not this year but another player with very good awareness and quick to execute.
Bell - May well be used for reasons other than getting first hands on the ball. Just a little sloppy under pressure and not great awareness.

Who do you expect to make their mark in the middle this year and why?

Carrazzo hasn't really been there for two years now with all his injury issues. McLean's absence will make our midfield look different while I think Boekhorst will get some good game time.

Depth factor through the midfield this year is certainly pleasing, it also looks like a far more physical midfield with Whiley, Cripps and Bell..ive always thought that we got pushed around too much at the centre bounce in recent years.....also will be interesting to see if Boekhorst can slot in quickly to help with our midfield speed, he could be another key link in that quick defensive rebounds style we tend to employ..its seems to me that in the past, our quick rebounding got halted unless judd or murphy found space..a 3rd option will help to keep the opposition guessing...cant tag everyone!

Now that Bell, Cripps, Whiley, Graham etc are on the scene and Gibbs has moved into the midfield full time I'd love to see the 180cm, 80kg Marc Murphy released to play high HF or wing. He's one of the most dangerous run and carry players in the league and we don't get to see his match winning ability often enough when his small body is at the bottom of the pack.

I agree, Murphy would be great on a wing, with Boekhorst/Everitt on the other...if Daisy gets his speed back, then along with Doc, Walker and Yarran, i reckon we have the makings of being one of the leagues top re-bounding teams again...only this time we have the foot skills and a tall forward line to kick to!..Malthouse special!

I like the look of Whiley, but is he ready for the responsibility of slotting in the midfield from the get go ?

From what I have seen of MM since he is been at the club, he is loathe to throw the young players/kids to the wolves (a policy I heartily agree with)

Depending on our list personal/injuries, I am happy for Whiley to start his career on the HBF, especially if the reports on him having excellent kicking skills is true, too many goals we conceded last season from sloppy turnovers from half back.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I like the look of Whiley, but is he ready for the responsibility of slotting in the midfield from the get go ?

From what I have seen of MM since he is been at the club, he is loathe to throw the young players/kids to the wolves (a policy I heartily agree with).

Yes absolutely he'll debut round 1.

Same draft year as Matty Watson - He's been with GWS since the beginning and has had four years of development at GWS.

It will be interesting to see the mindset from the centre bounces for us; we have some really good outside runners, great run off of half back and some real top quality silk on the park so I dare say once we win the ball, we'll be going sideways or backwards first before running the ball. Having Cripps/Whiley/Boekhorst instead if Lucas/Robinson/Mclean is going to be huge.

Our strength this year will be to play on at all costs and run the ball and if it clicks, we can hurt some really good quality teams.

Thomas, Yarran, Menzel, Judd, Murphy - we got some real X-factor in this team and in full flight, we could really overpower some teams with Casboult-Henderson-Jones.

Happy for us to sacrifice some grunt and toughness in the midfield for some much needed zip and pace.

Sad truth is, the likes of Brock McLean type players, as good as they were, are now almost redundant (I am convinced Luke Ball was given the tap on the shoulder by Buckley)

We absolutely needed to introduce more line breaking type players with dash (and skill)

Hopefully our kids like BB and DVR also have strong endurance, a few players we let go seemed to struggle to run out games (at times)

I honestly don't like the way more pure footballers are being phased out of the game, but that's how footy is headed these days.

I honestly don't like the way more pure footballers are being phased out of the game, but that's how footy is headed these days.

I see Graham as a case that can go either way; no doubt he knows where the ball is and can rack up touches but isn't really blessed with speed. But this hasn't exactly hurt Sam Mitchell.

Don't get me started on Walker, don't expect too much!!

Not a fair comment, Walker can sometimes go through infuriating and erratic form slumps, but when he is firing, is one of our top 3 players.

I would prefer Tex to play on the wing/hovering around the half forward flank. Seems a waste of his attacking talents playing him down back.

Not a fair comment, Walker can sometimes go through infuriating and erratic form slumps, but when he is firing, is one of our top 3 players.

I would prefer Tex to play on the wing/hovering around the half forward flank. Seems a waste of his attacking talents playing him down back.
Ive never seen him take a game by the scruff, hes 28 now and yet weve never seen him really do damage, well now hes got another year to prove me wrong after the past 10 that hes had!!

Ive never seen him take a game by the scruff, hes 28 now and yet weve never seen him really do damage, well now hes got another year to prove me wrong after the past 10 that hes had!!
He lead the competition in rebounding 50's (before getting injured), he's also shown that he can kick 50+ goals.
Averaged 23 disposals, 5 marks, 2 tackles, whilst carrying a knee injury throughout the year.
Very quick & versatile.
One of the best players on the team.

Walker will be playing forward. No point discussing him in a thread about our midfield.

Menzel should move from the FP to HF where he can become more involved in the play.

Murphy needs to play outside of the stoppages more either up forward or on the wing.

Due to our surplus of players who can play HB we should be looking to push Docherty into the midfield. Good kicking ability, footy smarts, speed and doesn't shy away from the tough stuff.

Thomas should really be hoping to take a spot on the wing if his athleticism is up to standard. Our worst games came about when teams simply took advantage of our poor spread and kicking ability.

Hopefully Graham has the footy smarts to become a factor at the clearances since we need another quality small midfielder who can extract the footy when Murphy is out.

Cripps/Whiley/Bell will likely be competing for the same spot unless Gibbs or Judd is injured. Cripps looked raw at senior level, Whiley's only played a few cameo roles as a tagger on the likes of Pendlebury while Bell lacks consistency.

Personally I'd expect Menzel, Docherty and Thomas to make the most impact if they can pump out a good preseason. Getting more then half a season from Kreuzer and Judd would also be a god send.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back