Mike Pyke....Respect

Remove this Banner Ad

lock33

Club Legend
Oct 15, 2011
AFL Club
Sydney
The bloke has been battered from pillar to post by the football media since he began only 4 years ago. Brian Taylor considers him the worst player in the AFL. Ricky Nixon said he was a waste of time..
Here he is, lining up in a Grand Final and will possibly be a Premiership player on Saturday night..
His journey is every bit as remarkable as Izzys and Hunts if not more yet he earns chump change compared to those two. He doesnt get the kudos he deserves and Im sure he would be quite comfortable with it.
He is one of the most competitive players in the comp, the man is a competitive beast who thrives on a contest and a challenge.
Sure you will see players with more raw talent but give me a bloke that competes like he does every time..
He is no stranger to the big stage, seriously love watching this guy hit contests and Im proud that he is a product of our club and culture.. Have your million dollar Hunt and Folou, give me the Big Canadian everyday...Respect. :thumbsu:

He has done well. Genuinely deserves to be in the team come GF day.

BT, as always, is an absolute buffoon :thumbsu:

Indeed, he's come a long way and hasn't got the kudos he deserves until recently.

He also comes across as an intelligent, entertaining and nice person from the interviews I've heard with him.

Haven't seen it talked about much this week. A Canadian lining up in a GF after 4 years being either ignored or criticised by the footy media. It's a great story and should get more attention. I guess it's beyond the Melbourne Media to admit they were wrong though.

Great job Mike :thumbsu: Bring back a Premiership medal please :D

Amazing story. Considering what he was like when he started, it's chalk and cheese now. Whilst hardly Dean Cox, he does his job week in week out, and is doing bloody well to keep a handy player (and premiership player) in Seaby out of the side.

Amazing story. Hope he does well, but not too well.

Good on him

The bloke has been battered from pillar to post by the football media since he began only 4 years ago. Brian Taylor considers him the worst player in the AFL. Ricky Nixon said he was a waste of time..
He should wear that as a badge of honour

Cannot recall this barrage of negative press Pyke copped..?

As a fanatic Swans fan I have probably read alot more than you as I am always googling everything Swans. You being in WA I guess you wouldn't read as much as me or Melbourne based fans for that matter but I get your point. I probably should have worded the OP a little differently, its not so much about the negative press but moreso the lack of positive press. Im always reading Izzy this and Hunt that, they are paid millions and struggle to get a game for the two bottom teams(I dont mean them disrespect either) because they are from an AFL target area... Pyke has come from further back and is playing in a Grand Final and gets very little kudos for it. I just meant this thread to appreciate his effort.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Can Ricky "Sh*tbag" Nixon really comment on ANYONE being a waste of ANYTHING considering his form of the past 5 years? He should be put on a rocket and shot into a sun, and then that sun shot into a bigger sun.
Pyke deserves respect, and maybe someday if they work as hard Hunt and Folau might become nearly as good as him.

BT never said he was the worst player in the AFL. Misconception.
THIS:
Prominent AFL player manager Ricky Nixon commented publicly that he thought the Swans were "wasting their time" with Pyke. Much later, Pyke was described by commentator and ex-player Brian Taylor as the worst player in the AFL competition.

http://www.worldfootynews.com/article.php/20120927152507598

AND THIS:
Once described by commentator Brian Taylor as the worst player in the competition, Pyke has developed into an accomplished forward/second ruck.

http://www.news.com.au/sport/afl/jo...ke-is-one-in-101/story-fnelctok-1226479848248

It is a great story. Well done. Elite representation in two sports, no matter what, is impressive.

Geez, is Seaby the AFL's most forgotten man?

I hate BT but bagging him because he once called him the worst player in the competition when it mightn't have been far from the truth at the time is a bit misleading and unfair.

He's a reasonable player. However, I'd prefer Hunt at my club.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back