Mordi Bromberg

Remove this Banner Ad

A much longer article than the grabs I've posted (some of the "more mature" :D posters may be interested in reading)

http://www.afl.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/208/newsid/115995/default.aspx

To get to the Melbourne office of Mordy Bromberg, you have to pass through high-level security and explain in detail to a uniformed officer the reason for your visit.

The former St Kilda back-pocket is now the Honorary Justice Mordecai Bromberg of the Federal Court of Australia.

People would still remember Bromberg as a long-haired Saints defender who played 34 matches from 1978-81.

Bromberg joined the Saints from Brighton Grammar and East Brighton. That he even made it that far is remarkable, given he was born in Israel, didn't move to Australia until he was eight and didn't speak a word of English when he arrived.

He made his debut in 1978 under Mike Patterson while studying law at Monash University, but left midway through the following season after a falling out with the coach.

He spent the rest of 1979 in the Victorian amateur competition with Ajax, playing in a premiership with a group of mates who played for fun rather than money.

He returned to St Kilda in 1980 to give League football one last crack.

Bromberg enjoyed his best season, earning three Brownlow Medal votes for a match against Footscray at Moorabbin, a game he remembered more for the fact St Kilda's coach at the time, Alex Jesaulenko, had instituted a punitive training regimen, in which players had to run several 400m sprints after training, the number of which increased with every week the Saints kept losing.

The win over the Bulldogs snapped a four-match losing streak and Bromberg was feted as the king of Moorabbin because it meant an easier few weeks of training.

Yet after four games in 1981, Bromberg was gone, refusing to yield to a demand from Jesaulenko that he quit his law studies for good.

His other enduring memory of his St Kilda days was the colour television he won as best on ground in a night match in 1980.

Bromberg briefly returned to St Kilda as a member of the football sub-committee when Greg Westaway became president in 2008. But otherwise, he is a fan who attends, by his own estimation, about "90 per cent" of matches the Saints play in Victoria.

http://www.theage.com.au/victoria/bolt-loses-highprofile-race-case-20110928-1kw8c.html

One hundred and seventy-five days after the Herald Sun columnist's defence lawyer Neil Young QC delivered the final words of his two-day closing address, Justice Mordecai Bromberg (St Kilda (1978-1981) 34 games, 11 goals) delivered a stinging judgment in which he found Bolt had contravened section 18 (c) of the Racial Discrimination Act in two articles published in the Herald Sun in 2009.
“I am satisfied that fair-skinned Aboriginal people (or some of them) were reasonably likely ... to have been offended, insulted, humiliated or intimidated by the imputations conveyed by the newspaper articles,” Justice Bromberg (St Kilda (1978-1981) 34 games, 11 goals) said to a packed courtroom in Melbourne.

Go Mordi!!!

Bolt = Dolt

Did you see the jerk outside the court house, looked like he was about to start crying. Classic case of can dish it out but can't take it back.
Typical Herald Sun crap invention and lies.

"It is a sad day for free speech in this country"

The blokes a journalist, I doubt he even comprehends the concept of free speech considering he's got an editor firmly implanted in his left buttcheek.

"Bolt, remember it's Thursday, time for a measure of why Angela Pippos should piss back off to Greece, spin it like a recession."

The blokes a journalist, I doubt he even comprehends the concept of free speech considering he's got an editor firmly implanted in his left buttcheek.

"Bolt, remember it's Thursday, time for a measure of why Angela Pippos should piss back off to Greece, spin it like a recession."

Fly your outdoing yourself:thumbsu:

Free speech is a myth. There have always been things you can and cannot say. And if you're Andrew Bolt, what you should say is nothing at all.

Fly your outdoing yourself:thumbsu:

Funnily enough I wrote that before I saw the front page of the Herald today, two guesses as to what was on it and the line they chose to use on said page. :p

If only I were getting paid the amount that bloke was to come up with it.....

Free speech is a myth. There have always been things you can and cannot say. And if you're Andrew Bolt, what you should say is nothing at all.

Pure politics he's playing, we have no enshrined rights like the US so anyone playing the "free speech" card is effectively raising a neon sign and going "I dun goofed, here's my excuse, piss off migrant!" so people get talking about it still and any news is good news.

We finished 3rd last. Only Melb ( a basket case) and a Club in its infancy GWS were worse than us.
Whats wrong with people at the club being unhappy and feeling dissatisfied and wanting change??
We were s**t. Id be more worried if people at the club were swanning around like we were champions.
We need to rebuild the list and it needs to be done quickly. Older players will feel a bit pissed at being treated like trade meat. But with one lousy flag in 140 yrs we cant fluff about and worry about everybodys feelings. Tuff decisions must be made.
Trade smart and hard and get our beloved Saints back to being a contender in a few yrs.
As knowledgeable as we all like to think we are, id bet my Mordy Bromberg footy card collection that Watters and Pelchin know more about footy than we do.

Actually saw one of those for sale for about $1.95.

Nice guy Mordi, as was his sister with whom I went to school with at Elwood high... as did Billy Mildenhall. Mordi has had a stellar legal career. Not bad ofr the son of an immigrant electrician.

Actually saw one of those for sale for about $1.95.

Nice guy Mordi, as was his sister with whom I went to school with at Elwood high... as did Billy Mildenhall. Mordi has had a stellar legal career. Not bad ofr the son of an immigrant electrician.

carb2-200x0.jpg

:p:p

In amongst some back-and forth in this thread on the Society, Religion and Politics board

http://www.bigfooty.com/forum/threa...bigots-you-know.1054559/page-48#post-36816441

I ended up googling the Judge who ruled on the case - Mordecai Bromberg. Turns out he played 34 games for St Kilda, kicked 11 goals and scored 3 career Brownlow votes between 1978 and 1981. This is his footy card.

IMG_4347_[640x480].JPG

Any older Sainters remember him?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Remove this Banner Ad

Back