Most overrated player in the AFL currently?

Remove this Banner Ad

I change my vote to Lachie Neale.

7 kicks, 3 votes 😂

Bontempelli is the real deal.

Jump in to the thread to find 4 pages of Curnow and Neale, could have fooled me I was reading "best players in the game". Would be more interested to know everyone's opinion on a player from their respective team.

Pies have more in the underrated or misunderstood camp than overrated. We've got a host of players who play in a system where their weaknesses are shielded like Murphy, Quaynor, Adams and Mitchell, but I would consider that just good coaching, and if anything the last two have been too harshly judged by certain fans and media this year. Mitchell was consistently a top 5 performer in the first half of the year, and who cares about whether he can hit up a target when he is surrounded by Pendles, Sidebottom, Daicos x2, Crisp, Hill and De Goey who are all fantastic I50 kicks.

max gawn

Jump in to the thread to find 4 pages of Curnow and Neale, could have fooled me I was reading "best players in the game". Would be more interested to know everyone's opinion on a player from their respective team.

Pies have more in the underrated or misunderstood camp than overrated. We've got a host of players who play in a system where their weaknesses are shielded like Murphy, Quaynor, Adams and Mitchell, but I would consider that just good coaching, and if anything the last two have been too harshly judged by certain fans and media this year. Mitchell was consistently a top 5 performer in the first half of the year, and who cares about whether he can hit up a target when he is surrounded by Pendles, Sidebottom, Daicos x2, Crisp, Hill and De Goey who are all fantastic I50 kicks.

Really good point.

Fact is, Neale, is by and large the reason Brisbane has been there and thereabouts for the past few years, and is now in a position to contest for a flag.

He's literally lifted his team time and time again through his clearance game, hands in tight, bringing other players into the game and regularly wins games off his own boot.

Shut him down at the coal face, the stats say we generally lose. Don't, and we generally win. This year, we won a hell of a lot more than we lost.

These players are extremely rare - Bont, Petracca, Cripps, and now Daicos and Butters, throw a blanket over them.

Neale is not 'extremely rare' whatsoever. He has no aerial side to his game, hardly a goal kicking threat and the only reason why he has won a second brownlow is due to the fact Brisbane have a pretty ordinary midfield with no genuine A graders.

Kicked 81 goals this year - were they all against these "s**t" teams? Give me a spell

In his career I think I worked out that he’s only kicked 5 goals six times against teams that made finals in the season in which he played them, that’s over 110 games or something.

He’s a super player, no doubt about that, and he’s got it in him to be the best player in the comp IMO. And in his defence this was his first finals campaign.

But it’s something he will need to address

Neale is not 'extremely rare' whatsoever. He has no aerial side to his game, hardly a goal kicking threat and the only reason why he has won a second brownlow is due to the fact Brisbane have a pretty ordinary midfield with no genuine A graders.
id argue that Dunkley is an A-grader, just does the defensive stuff so isnt as noticable. Ashcroft polled pretty well for a mid in there too. Neale is the guy they rely on to be the attacking mid, he gets clearances. Makes sense he attracts the votes

id argue that Dunkley is an A-grader, just does the defensive stuff so isnt as noticable. Ashcroft polled pretty well for a mid in there too. Neale is the guy they rely on to be the attacking mid, he gets clearances. Makes sense he attracts the votes
Defensive mids are so underrated. Really frustrates me. Those guys win you games.

Are there really people trying to argue that Neale is not even an A grader? Holy flippen heck that is hilarious.

It is absolutely making my week just how much Lachie winning the Brownlow has upset so many people. If you complain louder, your points might magically become more valid.

Dunkley's no more an A grader than what De Goey is for Collingwood. Obviously one player is a better 'big game' performer than the other but guys like McCluggage, Lyons, Berry, Robertson, Ah Chee, Ashcroft . . . no genuine stars (Ashcroft will be in time).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Dunkley's no more an A grader than what De Goey is for Collingwood. Obviously one player is a better 'big game' performer than the other but guys like McCluggage, Lyons, Berry, Robertson, Ah Chee, Ashcroft . . . no genuine stars (Ashcroft will be in time).
Degoey is a match winner, on his day. Dunkley is quite consistent, and usually matches up on the oppositions best midfielder(likely on Degoey this weekend) in a defensive role.
Id have Dunkley ahead considering his role
The rest of the lions midfield arent amazing for sure

from my own club ....Tim Taranto by miles.
From the AFL just past.... Joal Selwood.
Current and form.....Curnow

from my own club ....Tim Taranto by miles.
From the AFL just past.... Joal Selwood.
Current and form.....Curnow
I noticed with Taranto, he played ok when he was the guy in the midfield, but as soon as Dusty went in there toward the end of the year Taranto just looked slow and off the pace, like he was waiting for the little handball out from dusty every time.
Agree with the other two as well

I noticed with Taranto, he played ok when he was the guy in the midfield, but as soon as Dusty went in there toward the end of the year Taranto just looked slow and off the pace, like he was waiting for the little handball out from dusty every time.
Agree with the other two as wel
Taranto is great at turning up to a contest. but his ball use and decision making is below par.

Neale is a very good player but he doesn't have the x factor to him like a Bont, Dusty, Danger or Fyfe had.
As has been pointed out by many, the 3 votes for the 7 kick game was also ridiculous.
He's an A grader but he's not one of the best footballers in the past 10 years IMO.
He is a better user of the ball in tight than all of them...

Exactly, wouldn't have Neale in the top 10 midfielders in the game right now.

I stand by my call that it's the umpires pet Neale.

I mean when you have such a raging hate boner for him then it's pretty clear you're going to stick with that position no matter what but thanks for the update no one was waiting for

Inside mids are always undervalued by plebs who like to see the flashy stuff - the fend offs, the great goals, the line breaking runs/kicks etc. Neale isn't that but what he is is the cleanest set of hands at the contest and a top level footy IQ that just gets it right every time.

No I don't think he should have won the Brownlow but he was obviously going to be there abouts. Was runner up last year to Patty Cripps who polled some controversial votes at the end, in games that he really shouldn't have been playing in, it's just how these things go

Do you think he was a deserved Brownlow winner this year?

No, and I also don't think the Brownlow should carry as much weight as it does being such a flawed system. But there's a difference between that position and shaking with rage at a keyboard proclaiming that he's nothing more than a B grade mid lol

Remove this Banner Ad

Back