Most successful Long term deal?

Remove this Banner Ad

Buddy was quite successful. Signed for 9 years, ended up extending his contract. 4 All Australians, 2 Coleman medals, something like 480 goals.
I remember when that deal was made. 10 million over 9 years from 2014-2022. Most people though he wasnt going to last the 9 years. He did and went one more. He didnt play one game in 2020 because of injuries.

But like Barry Hall, Tony Lockett and Warwick Capper before him, Buddy Franklin was a player the Sydney swans fans love: A marquee goal kicking forward that brings crowds to games.
Lynch at Brisbane was the dragon to be chased. Signed long term before salary went anywhere.
Alistair Lynch was a good one. He was given a 10 year deal.
It’s Dustin Martin and it’s not even close.

Signed a seven year deal on the eve of a dynasty in which he showed he was the best big game player we’ve likely ever seen.

This year was the second last year of the deal and an argument can be made he deserved to be All Australian.
A humble tigers fan you are... LOL.

But lets be honest. Like Gary Ablett Jnr, he had a slow start before being elite. Both had similar paths. Actually Both the cats 2007-09 sides and Richmonds 2017-19 sides have a lot in common.

Dustin Martin was out of contract at the end of 2017. He topped it all off winning a Brownlow medal, a premiership medal and a Norm Smith medal as best on ground in that 2017 AFL grand final.

Then he signed a 6 or 7 year extension at 1 million dollars a year.

Definetely our best long term deal.

It tied in both player and club success, and he never really fell off the cliff at the end (assuming he doesn't this year which seems extremely unlikely).

It doesnt matter. Dustin Martin could sit out the whole 2024 season and retire at the end of 2024. doubt Richmond would have any animosity towards Dustin martin.

Tigers won in 2017, 2019 and 2020. So no complaints if your a long suffering tigers fan.

My only minor concern was guys like Bret Deledio and Reece Conca stayed there but didnt get a premiership medal at the end of it.

Deledio went to GWS at the end of 2016, Conca left at the end of 2018.

Alex Rance did his knee in 2019 and missed out on a medal in 2019. He did get his premiership medal in 2017. Richmond would of won regardless in that 2019 grand final vs GWS. They could of had Conca and rance on the bench and the result would still be the same.

The premise of the thread isn’t how much the player was paid. It was simply the success surrounding long term deals. If you want to measure success by salary cap space, then sure, maybe you've got a point, but success to me is wins and premierships.

Alastair Lynch:
Ten years, 3 premierships and a winning percentage of 61.85%

Dustin Martin:
Seven years (6 thus far), 3 premierships and a winning percentage of 78.29%

Brisbane were also less reliant on Lynch than Richmond were on Martin.

This supposes that the success the club has had is BECAUSE of the deal.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your conclusion but not sure about the method with which you got there

his wife had business opportunities in Sydney.
What business opportunities were those?

he picked the Swans over GWS as he felt the Swans were more likely to be in contention for a flag than GWS were, and he was right
Conjecture. GWS + Buddy probably take care of the Dogs in the prelim and probably win a flag.

This will be a random one....

Im gonna go out on a Limb and say Patrick Dangerfields 1st contract at the cats. Served 8 years at the crows from 2008 until 2015.

His 1st contract at the cats was 5 or 6 years from 2016 until 2020 or 2021. His Yearly wage was $800,000 a year. So $780,000 a year is $15,000 a week. Crows could of matched that but didnt.

Crows refused that pick 13 as a compo pick. Crows refused that. Got picks 9, 28 and dean gore for Patrick dangerfield and pick 50.

Cats in 2016-2020 played in multiple prelims and a grand final in that period.

Dangerfield got his premiership medal in 2022.

Clayton Oliver, four flags.

You heard it here first!
See you campaigners in 7 years!!

This supposes that the success the club has had is BECAUSE of the deal.

I don’t necessarily disagree with your conclusion but not sure about the method with which you got there
I don't think either clubs success is solely due to either contract, but I don't think many would disagree that the success of Richmond is far less likely without Martin than Brisbane's is without Lynch.

Buddy was quite successful. Signed for 9 years, ended up extending his contract. 4 All Australians, 2 Coleman medals, something like 480 goals.
Anyone who thinks otherwise is a *******. Proved a lot of people wrong.

Yeh nah, how old are you? It's still Lynch by a mile. The guy signed a 10 year contract in 1994 , years 7-10 of that contract he was still full forward in a dynasty team that almost won 4 flags in a row.

He would have been paid peanuts compared to what he was worth . The money / % of the cap he got compared to Martin would be nothing
Kind of win/win for both. He was short changed at the end of his career but struggled on and off over the first 5 years of the deal due to CFS.

IIRC the Lions tipped some extra money in for Lynch at the back end of his deal because what he was earning was so embarrassingly low.

Without Dusty Richmond don’t win TWO premierships. Dusty’s deal ran from 2018. However, I have no doubt the contract extension did give the entire RFC a lift right on the eve of the finals.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

IIRC the Lions tipped some extra money in for Lynch at the back end of his deal because what he was earning was so embarrassingly low.

Without Dusty Richmond don’t win TWO premierships. Dusty’s deal ran from 2018. However, I have no doubt the contract extension did give the entire RFC a lift right on the eve of the finals.
Which flag would they loose? 2018 they smashed GSW by 99 points - they could have played 17 men on the field without him and still won comfortably, and 2017 he collected a heap of cheap possessions when the game was already over on the way to an 8 goal win .

2020 he deserved the individual praise, the other two were team efforts that the media hyped him up.

Alistair Lynch was probably getting paid peanuts by the time the Lions had their dynasty.
$150k pa by the end of it.
Didn't the Lions revise the last few years out of goodwill?

Didn't win a flag up there though, so I am not convinced the Swans got the return on the investment that they hoped for.
Made them alot more than they paid merchandise ticket sales growth of the game was enormous, people came to see buddy play!
Number of Grand Finals and very successful record as well, Sydney would do it again for double the price.

I don't think either clubs success is solely due to either contract, but I don't think many would disagree that the success of Richmond is far less likely without Martin than Brisbane's is without Lynch.

Not sure that is as true as you think.

Of course Martin was a key pillar of Richmond's success but Lynch way more instrumental than people seem to recall. He was the Lions leading goalkicker in every single one of their flag years and comfortably so.

In 2001 he kicked 58 goals. In 2002, he kicked 74 goals. In 2003, he kicked 78 goals! (and he kicked 40 goals from 11 completed games in '04 as well). Over the 3 flag years, he kicked 210 goals which is nearly 100 more (98) than any other Lion!

Jonathon Brown, by comparison, kicked a total of 79 goals across those 3 years (at an average of just 26 per season).

In the 2002 Grand Final, Brisbane beat Collingwood by just 9 points (with the margin under a goal for most of the last quarter). No Lion kicked more than 1 goal that day, except for Lynch who kicked 4 goals!, including the go ahead goal in the last that put them in front. In a low scoring game, Lynch kicked 40% of the Lions goals! He also kicked 5 in the Prelim against top of the table Port the week before.

In 2003, Lynch kicked a staggering 16 goals in the finals series! The next best Lion managed 8. Lynch kicked 4 in the Grand Final and whilst the Lions ran away with it, Lynch kicked 3 of his 4 goals in the first half which is when the heat was on and Brisbane won the game.

That's of course not to mention that Lynch did so whilst being paid absolute peanuts (close to the lowest paid player on the team), which greatly assisted Brisbane in being able to keep all its stars together.

Without Lynch, there is a high likelihood that that (awful) Collingwood team would have gone back to back (and now be on 18 flags) whilst the Lions would be nothing more than a talented footnote in history. What a horrifying thought!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back