Mount Atkinson

Remove this Banner Ad

An interesting story on seven news last night.

A new suburb is being built in the outer Western suburbs near Caroline Springs and Rockbank. It will house 22,000 residents.

The interesting part of it is the development of football facilities to be developed are to be used as a possible second training base for an AFL club. Now this is in the growth corridor of the western suburbs in Melbourne. We changed our name to ensure we penetrated this area as being Footscray would not work, so obviously this is a potential training base for the Western Bulldogs........

Wrong, the club is Collingwood, like Hawthorn with their hotel in Caroline Springs, Geelong with their hotel in Point Cook and North going to schools in Werribee with their Werribee affiliation all getting their share of the western region growth.

One day people will understand we were and continue to be sold a pup on this one. To frow our brand get out to the areas we are targeting.

An interesting story on seven news last night.

A new suburb is being built in the outer Western suburbs near Caroline Springs and Rockbank. It will house 22,000 residents.

The interesting part of it is the development of football facilities to be developed are to be used as a possible second training base for an AFL club. Now this is in the growth corridor of the western suburbs in Melbourne. We changed our name to ensure we penetrated this area as being Footscray would not work, so obviously this is a potential training base for the Western Bulldogs........

Wrong, the club is Collingwood, like Hawthorn with their hotel in Caroline Springs, Geelong with their hotel in Point Cook and North going to schools in Werribee with their Werribee affiliation all getting their share of the western region growth.

One day people will understand we were and continue to be sold a pup on this one. To frow our brand get out to the areas we are targeting.

So, are you saying that the club doesn't do enough to grow its brand in the Western Region? :confused:

Yes, and our membership and average attendances in even good years supports this

On what grounds are you making this claim? To me it seems you don't really know much of the complexities of the situation i.e demographics, socio-cultural issues etc etc. You don't just 'get out there and grow your brand'. It's much, much more complicated than that.

The one reason we still exist and are supported by the AFL is as the club representing the Western region of Melbourne. We do not fight tooth and nail to make sure we are that club then sometime in the future we will be in serious risk of existence again

The one reason we still exist and are supported by the AFL is as the club representing the Western region of Melbourne. We do not fight tooth and nail to make sure we are that club then sometime in the future we will be in serious risk of existence again

Respectfully, I don't think you really know what you are talking about. The club can't stop Collingwood from building training facilities in the outer-west if they wanted to, and tbh I would be very surprised if an AFL team ever trained there on even a semi-regular basis. Especially Collingwood.

It's a nothing news story to promote a new suburb. You've got bigger problems to deal with right now with Ebola and Islamic State on the march. Stress more about that, less about this (Y)

On what grounds are you making this claim? To me it seems you don't really know much of the complexities of the situation i.e demographics, socio-cultural issues etc etc. You don't just 'get out there and grow your brand'. It's much, much more complicated than that.

One of PG's comments when asked about the name was after over 15 years of the name change it had not been effectively utilised to ensure penetration in the west.

In order to grow your brand, the name itself is meaningless, it is the actions you take that grows the brand.

For a football club it is getting out and involved in community programs, providing community support and being visible as a part of the community.

Now we may not see the new suburb as our demographic, fair enough, but we must be the first club thought of for football activity in the west or our relevance will slowly diminish.

And FYI having grown and developed businesses in the communities through the west, been involved in community programs through various associations I have a fair amount of first hand knowledge of the complexities as well as first hand knowledge of a number of failings of our club in this area. We do some good work but know where near enough or consistent enough

Respectfully, I don't think you really know what you are talking about. The club can't stop Collingwood from building training facilities in the outer-west if they wanted to, and tbh I would be very surprised if an AFL team ever trained there on even a semi-regular basis. Especially Collingwood.

It's a nothing news story to promote a new suburb. You've got bigger problems to deal with right now with Ebola and Islamic State on the march. Stress more about that, less about this (Y)
Do you not get it. Collingwood are not the instigators of the development. The developers approached Collingwood to be the club to be the drawcard in our target area. We have not made our brand the main brand in our target demographic. Do you have any understanding of growth, development and marketing?

I firmly believe we need to do more in the community outside the western region. If other clubs are doing that in our traditional heartland we need to do the same. I live in the eastern suburbs and while I think the East West Day is a great way to get some interest in the Doggies out east I think we can do more in terms of owning hotels for our revenue and getting into the schools etc. There are a lot of Dogs fans outside the heartland as well.

I have a mate that is very,very close to the lead developer for this project. I was told that the club was heavily involved in this and it was actually considered a done deal. As I understand it Gordon then tried to push to get a little bit more for the club and the developer cracked it. (obviously this is the take from the developers perspective - so not sure on how true it is)

Collingwood was happy to get involved once it fell apart which has actually caused the developer some heartache because he is a mad Carlton supporter!! I heard this around a month ago, my question was why did he not go to Carlton in the first place. I was told the developer genuinely thought the Dogs were the most obvious fit and once that fell over Collingwood were the most commercial minded business.

I was sceptical when I was told but now that its been announced I think that the story has some (how much only the club knows) truth to it.

its a disappointing result whatever the truth is

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Collingwood, the Hawks and Geelong have plenty of support in the west, but North have virtually none, despite their affiliation with Werribee.

What we need to be really doing is working even harder with the councils around the west on our grassroots programs. Send Boyd out to every primary school in the west over the next seven years if need be.

Collingwood, the Hawks and Geelong have plenty of support in the west, but North have virtually none, despite their affiliation with Werribee.

What we need to be really doing is working even harder with the councils around the west on our grassroots programs. Send Boyd out to every primary school in the west over the next seven years if need be.

I agree with that in that we need to work harder but why limit ourselves solely to the heartland. It's evident other teams do not as I've said and these days most fans come from everywhere now.

Do you not get it. Collingwood are not the instigators of the development. The developers approached Collingwood to be the club to be the drawcard in our target area. We have not made our brand the main brand in our target demographic. Do you have any understanding of growth, development and marketing?

I wish things were as simple in real life.

I wish things were as simple in real life.
Who said they were simple? It is not easy but must be done. Read Turtle3's post and get your head out of the sand.

This is one of many many opportunities we do not take then wonder why we never grow like all other Melbourne clubs.

Yes we are the main supported clubs in the surrounding districts, we always have been, but we are not growing at the rate we should be regardless of results. All other Melbourne clubs including the smaller ones have 3 or 4 years of memberships higher than our record membership achieved winning the pre season cup and in our third preliminary final year in a row.

We cannot think just winning or calling ourselves Western will grow our brand in the region, we must be proactive to. Or we could roll up in a little ball, say this is too complex why try. We must make ourselves relevant in all aspects on and off the field before the end of the next tv rights

Who said they were simple? It is not easy but must be done. Read Turtle3's post and get your head out of the sand.

This is one of many many opportunities we do not take then wonder why we never grow like all other Melbourne clubs.

Yes we are the main supported clubs in the surrounding districts, we always have been, but we are not growing at the rate we should be regardless of results. All other Melbourne clubs including the smaller ones have 3 or 4 years of memberships higher than our record membership achieved winning the pre season cup and in our third preliminary final year in a row.

We cannot think just winning or calling ourselves Western will grow our brand in the region, we must be proactive to. Or we could roll up in a little ball, say this is too complex why try. We must make ourselves relevant in all aspects on and off the field before the end of the next tv rights

Jesus Christ you're thick.

I've always wondered why the club don't employ some ex-players to do the school rounds non-stop in the western region.
Lower, Marcovic and Goodes are all still on the books, get them and some recent retirees like Hargrave/Gilbee/whoever to hit up a school a week.
We should be aiming to have a group of 2-3 players visit every school in the western suburbs every year!

I used to do casual teaching work in primary schools in the outer western suburbs and we have no presence there. The western bulldogs moniker is complete bullshit, the club has spent no time or effort securing the greater west. We still have a huge presence with the kids in the inner west and the partnership with Victoria Uni brought some benefits, but out by Caroline Springs we are just another team. Richmond, the Melbourne Storm & Melbourne Victory used to bring players out but not us.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back