Toast Murray Newman - Selected Round 21 - Bodes Well

Remove this Banner Ad

Sunday's selections are in and, despite going in without any key talls, the big news is that Murray Newman is in line to return to the senior side. Having debuted in 2012, Muzza had his well documented issues both on the field and off. Between the jail sentence and his somewhat embarrassing struggles in preseason (being beaten by Woosha in a preseason time trial), Newman was at a very real and very public crossroads in not just his career, but in his life.

Regardless of how he plays, or your thoughts on the changes for the Footscray game, I think it's a real positive sign that Newman (who is only 21) has managed to seemingly get his affairs in order. Well done to him on making it back and repaying the faith, and well done to the club, who I know put in some excellent programs and gave him access to several mentors to try and keep him on the right path. There's a chance for a huge redemption story here, and I hope Muzza grabs the opportunity.

On a serious note.
I have been saying lately that the one thing we are missing is that sharpshooter, freak goal kicking, quick little forward.
Bett's, Rioli, Thomas (can't stand him but he does his job), Walters. You know what I mean.

Not really seen anything of Newman in action so not sure what he brings. Is it possibly this???

On a serious note.
I have been saying lately that the one thing we are missing is that sharpshooter, freak goal kicking, quick little forward.
Bett's, Rioli, Thomas (can't stand him but he does his job), Walters. You know what I mean.

Not really seen anything of Newman in action so not sure what he brings. Is it possibly this???
He's a pretty solid small forward and takes a fair few marks on the lead from what I've seen, form was strong for a while at EP but has been a bit down since coming back from a finger injury is my understanding of the situation. WAFL thread surely has stacks of in depth Muzza analysis.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This has been me all season.

"When are they gonna pick Newman again?"

tumblr_l2oibwiSB01qz9rjn.gif

So I'm pretty chuffed today.

He has been reasonable for East Perth, surely he's earned another year on the rookie list. Infinitely more upside than Lucas.

All our rookies have more upside than Lucas. Which is why Lucas shouldn't be on a rookie list to begin with.

Sent from my iPhone 6 using Tapatalk

Wish he had been picked on the back of some red hot form.
Strange selection

Sent from my C6903 using Tapatalk

They obviously really really rate him as he hasn't been tearing up the WAFL by any means.

Maybe he will make the step up to AFL and play better than his WAFL form ?

Maybe they are having a look at how well he may play and consider delisting him or not..

Who knows. That's the fun

His WAFL form has been underwhelming, I hope that in an important game like Sunday's your postulation that they may be "looking at him" to decide whether to delist or not is off the mark. Personally I would have delisted him way back when found guilty, don't need blokes like that on our list. If he comes good as both a person and a player that's great, but I'd have rather given a spot on our list to someone who'd done all the right things.

His WAFL form has been underwhelming, I hope that in an important game like Sunday's your postulation that they may be "looking at him" to decide whether to delist or not is off the mark. Personally I would have delisted him way back when found guilty, don't need blokes like that on our list. If he comes good as both a person and a player that's great, but I'd have rather given a spot on our list to someone who'd done all the right things.

His form has been solid. The fact he had a goal drought was certainly disappointing but he's seemingly overcome that and while he wasn't kicking goals his defensive pressure was at stages excellent.

Any ones position on his retention following his off indiscretion is neither here nor there at this stage.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back