Music

Remove this Banner Ad

From the artists to the authorities. And EVERYTHING IN BETWEEN :rolleyes: Go for it gutless I was 8 when the following was made. I'm so proud to be a W.A.S.P. even though the Catholic Church claimed no sex abuse, child abuse or funding of terrorist groups.

I'm glad I avoided all that violence and became a buddhist.

Sorry for the long post that follows...

I had a bit of a venture down to the Music forum the other day and saw that the regulars down there had been working on their top 10 albums of all time to compile a BigFooty top 100. Being a sucker for lists like this (to see how similar other peoples tastes are and try some new things....) I was pretty eager to have a go, but missed the cut off date. It has been playing on my mind ever since, so today I thought I'd give it a go.
I came up with a shortlist of about 20 albums, and narrowed it down to a tentative "Today's top ten" but knew that I would have forgotten at least one obvious album and would have felt like an old silly billy. o_O

So I though to myself "Lenny_07 ( <- actual name, not sure what kind of fortune telling stuff my folks were doing all those years ago), why don't you wait until you get home and have a look through your CD and record shelves to make a more informed choice?"

So, here I am at home, and about to go have a look. If you wouldn't mind waiting for just a bit...

OK! So I've just finished having a look and I present to you 'Lenny_07's Top 10 Albums Of All Time*' *subject to change at any moment

Also I was going to do reviews, but I'm terrible at them.

Anyway...

Top 10 in alphabetical order.

• Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cold Roses (2005)
Lenny_07's picks - Sweet Illusions, How Do You Keep Love Alive, Let It Ride.
I had disc 1 of this album playing in my car for a month non stop a few years back. Still not sick of it.

• Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell (2004)
Lenny_07's picks - Avalanche, Hotel Chelsea Nights.
First Ryan Adams album I ever heard, my ears caught an unfamiliar cover of 'Wonderwall' and it's all been uphill from there. I love having this album on in the car when it is dark, cold and raining with the heater turned right up.

• The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)
Lenny_07's picks - Something, I Want You (She's So Heavy), The entire second side.
What a fantastic album. Still sounds amazing today not even Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer can dampen it...

• Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)
Lenny_07's picks - Pink Moon, Road, Horn
Short and haunting and beautiful. The album is just Nick playing guitar and singing with the title track having a piano overdub also played by Nick.

• Justin Townes Earle - Midnight At The Movies (2009)
Lenny_07's picks - Mama's Eyes, Halfway To Jackson, Can't Hardly Wait
An Americana album by it's very definition. A bit country, a bit blues, a bit folk. Just a really simple album that seems to fit whatever mood I'm in.

• Joe Henry - Blood From Stars (2009)
Lenny_07's picks - The Man I Keep Hid, Death To The Storm
I discovered Joe Henry when someone mentioned the work he did on Louden Wainwright's Knocked Up soundtrack and fell in love with his sound instantly. Also a Grammy winning record producer. You might recognise his song 'Stop' from the album 'Scar' when it was covered by his sister in law Madonna as 'Don't Tell Me'.

• Jason Isbell - Live From Alabama (2012)
Lenny_07's picks - Goddamn Lonely Love, Cigarettes And Wine
Collection of tracks from his solo albums and his tracks from his time in The Drive-By Truckers. Also features a fantastic Neil Young Cover.

• Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel (1974)
Lenny_07's picks - $1000 Wedding, Love Hurts
Gram Parsons died of an overdose before this album was released. Then his body was stolen from the airport and burned in The Joshua Tree National Park.
Please read about this man, it is a fascinating story, even if you dislike the music.

• Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971)
Lenny_07's picks - I Got The Blues, Wild Horses
Not a bad track. The Stones' pinnacle for sure. Interesting fact: The Stones sent 'Wild Horses' to Keith's best mate Gram Parsons for his then pedal steel playing bandmate from The Flying Burrito Brothers to overdub, but they liked it so much they covered it instead.

• Whiskeytown - Stranger's Almanac (1997)
Lenny_07's picks - Houses On The Hill, Dancing With The Women At The Bar
Uhhh... So this is Ryan Adams again, in his first successful band. Really wonderful album. Pick up the deluxe version for some extra alternate versions and a couple of nice covers.

So, again, sorry for the length of the post, but I love this kind of stuff and would love to read what other people would put in their top 10.

Sorry for the long post that follows...

I had a bit of a venture down to the Music forum the other day and saw that the regulars down there had been working on their top 10 albums of all time to compile a BigFooty top 100. Being a sucker for lists like this (to see how similar other peoples tastes are and try some new things....) I was pretty eager to have a go, but missed the cut off date. It has been playing on my mind ever since, so today I thought I'd give it a go.
I came up with a shortlist of about 20 albums, and narrowed it down to a tentative "Today's top ten" but knew that I would have forgotten at least one obvious album and would have felt like an old silly billy. o_O

So I though to myself "Lenny_07 ( <- actual name, not sure what kind of fortune telling stuff my folks were doing all those years ago), why don't you wait until you get home and have a look through your CD and record shelves to make a more informed choice?"

So, here I am at home, and about to go have a look. If you wouldn't mind waiting for just a bit...

OK! So I've just finished having a look and I present to you 'Lenny_07's Top 10 Albums Of All Time*' *subject to change at any moment

Also I was going to do reviews, but I'm terrible at them.

Anyway...

Top 10 in alphabetical order.

• Ryan Adams & The Cardinals - Cold Roses (2005)
Lenny_07's picks - Sweet Illusions, How Do You Keep Love Alive, Let It Ride.

I had disc 1 of this album playing in my car for a month non stop a few years back. Still not sick of it.

• Ryan Adams - Love Is Hell (2004)
Lenny_07's picks - Avalanche, Hotel Chelsea Nights.

First Ryan Adams album I ever heard, my ears caught an unfamiliar cover of 'Wonderwall' and it's all been uphill from there. I love having this album on in the car when it is dark, cold and raining with the heater turned right up.

• The Beatles - Abbey Road (1969)
Lenny_07's picks - Something, I Want You (She's So Heavy), The entire second side.

What a fantastic album. Still sounds amazing today not even Octopus's Garden and Maxwell's Silver Hammer can dampen it...

• Nick Drake - Pink Moon (1972)
Lenny_07's picks - Pink Moon, Road, Horn

Short and haunting and beautiful. The album is just Nick playing guitar and singing with the title track having a piano overdub also played by Nick.

• Justin Townes Earle - Midnight At The Movies (2009)
Lenny_07's picks - Mama's Eyes, Halfway To Jackson, Can't Hardly Wait

An Americana album by it's very definition. A bit country, a bit blues, a bit folk. Just a really simple album that seems to fit whatever mood I'm in.

• Joe Henry - Blood From Stars (2009)
Lenny_07's picks - The Man I Keep Hid, Death To The Storm

I discovered Joe Henry when someone mentioned the work he did on Louden Wainwright's Knocked Up soundtrack and fell in love with his sound instantly. Also a Grammy winning record producer. You might recognise his song 'Stop' from the album 'Scar' when it was covered by his sister in law Madonna as 'Don't Tell Me'.

• Jason Isbell - Live From Alabama (2012)
Lenny_07's picks - Goddamn Lonely Love, Cigarettes And Wine

Collection of tracks from his solo albums and his tracks from his time in The Drive-By Truckers. Also features a fantastic Neil Young Cover.

• Gram Parsons - Grievous Angel (1974)
Lenny_07's picks - $1000 Wedding, Love Hurts

Gram Parsons died of an overdose before this album was released. Then his body was stolen from the airport and burned in The Joshua Tree National Park.
Please read about this man, it is a fascinating story, even if you dislike the music.

• Rolling Stones - Sticky Fingers (1971)
Lenny_07's picks - I Got The Blues, Wild Horses

Not a bad track. The Stones' pinnacle for sure. Interesting fact: The Stones sent 'Wild Horses' to Keith's best mate Gram Parsons for his then pedal steel playing bandmate from The Flying Burrito Brothers to overdub, but they liked it so much they covered it instead.

• Whiskeytown - Stranger's Almanac (1997)
Lenny_07's picks - Houses On The Hill, Dancing With The Women At The Bar

Uhhh... So this is Ryan Adams again, in his first successful band. Really wonderful album. Pick up the deluxe version for some extra alternate versions and a couple of nice covers.

So, again, sorry for the length of the post, but I love this kind of stuff and would love to read what other people would put in their top 10.

I'd go "goats head soup" ahead of "Sticky fingers"

Anyone get QOTSA / NiN tickets?

Going on sale for Sydney show today (apart from the QOTSA website pre sale, where it was a 2 ticket limit ... pfft)

Gonna try and score 4 today!

Update: 4 tickets scored today :cool:

Just watched the full Live in NYC gig after putting it off for a while (2 hours in length). Thought I'd chuck some of their stuff here in protest towards all the U2, Tool, Crowded House etc. :p

This isn't the same version because I couldn't find it, although the full gig is posted if you'd prefer the more 'homely' small-stage atmosphere. Goes great with a tab or 6. :rainbow:

I'd venture my musical tastes are pretty different than a lot of peoples. I am very eclectic, I can listen to almost anything.

My favorite bad are a Japanese rock band called One OK Rock. Despite speaking no Japanese at all, I just love their sound! I also love Kirby Krackle, a "nerd" Rock band based out of Seattle. P!nk is another one of my favorites, love her live!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back