Game Day NAB Challenge Week 1, St Kilda v North Melbourne 2.05pm (EDT), Saturday 20 February, Wangaratta

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Can someone ITK please explain WHY when we win the ball in contests eg ball ups we want to handball backwards to a stationary post player.

On a number of occasions we did this when the guy with the ball was facing forward and was clear to take off, only to handball backwards to a stationary player and put them under pressure.

Its something we have done ever since Richo took over and Kingsley became midfield coach and IMO it stinks!

It kills all attacking momentum you could generate and just puts the reciever under more pressure and causes numerous turnovers. Our hand skills are not advanced enough and it is a completely shyte set up/set play which doesnt work for us.

I love Richo but this set up is rubbish and needs changing.

Last edited:

On Sinclair, he is so crafty and skilful, I just wish we could get him up to 20 disposals per game. Gun in the making.

Oh he will sir! It's only his second year.....big strides this year but will come into his own next year after one more preseason, (and you can take that to the bank)!!!

images

Oh he will sir! It's only his second year.....big strides this year but will come into his own next year after one more preseason, (and you can take that to the bank)!!!

images
I think some in here will
Be taking it to the sperm bank particularly after those comments about billings and Gresham today

For me Newnes was the big tick for me. His disposal and decision making is becoming elite. I think we'll see Newnes with more midfield time and Monty more HBF. It will get Newnes in the game and will extend Montys playing career.

I like what I saw of Acres at times today. Kid has a lot more time than I think he realises. There were a few instances where he reminded me of nds in his prime where it almost looks like time is frozen around him. That's what I saw anyway.

Saunders will get upgraded on performances like today.
Cant believe we have signed Acres for four years. What were we thinking!?!?

Im very worried about Acres and there was nothing good about his game today. Seriously every pass he made was to another player under pressure. Missed easy goals. Just seems to shite himself maybe hat can change but it would want to.

Are we talking about the same Blake Acres? He was the guy wearing number 8 for the Saints.

What a meh game. Happy footy is back though

I can't understand all the doom & gloom over a 44 point loss in a practice match against a team that lost an away Preliminary final in Perth by just 25 points just 5 months ago & had a stronger team than ours today.... And ended up much much stronger than ours once Billings, Steven, Gilbert & co were rested, with Paddy injured too

Good hit out IMHO

Liked the games Gresham, Ross, Acres & Savage played today. Newnes was his usual consistent self.

No point getting down about a praccy match. We're prob only gonna win 7-8 games this year. To me, today showed that players are continuing to develop

Harvey (409)

Coughlan (0), Gresham (0), Holmes (3), McCartin (6), Goddard (8), Acres (10), Templeton (12), Lee (13), Lonie (17), Sinclair (18), Shenton (24), Curren (25), Billings (25), Dunstan (35), Ross (37), Webster (39), Hickey (41), Bruce (46), Delaney (59) = 418

So yeah, Harvey has played just about as many games as 19 of the players in our team today combined.
Legend. That's farked isn't it haha

I love seeing kids get a go. We all know the Saints kids but we can become more familiar with them when we see them strutting their stuff.
Also interested in seeing more of Jed Anderson, Trent Dumont, Luke McDonald and Mason Wood from the roos
While Seb Ross was BoG, I was pleased to see such great performances from Mason Wood, Luke McDonald and even Jed Anderson (after a slow start), another of their youngsters to shine was Ryan Clarke. North had a much stronger team out there than us and this allowed their kids to shine.

We only had two debutants today: Jade Gresham carried his good form in the intraclub into this match. He showed that he belongs at this level, he is game, he has real speed and he tackled well. Nick Coughlan showed we have something quality to work with in him.

The match was quite close at first and surprisingly we were significantly superior (IMO) on the ground up until late in the second quarter. We failed in converting that superiority to the scoreboard. After McCartin was taken off with hamstring tightness, Lee was moved forward and almost immediately kicked a goal. His departure from defence left us relying on first gamer Nick Coughlan to help shore up our defence. Sam Gilbert also went back to help out and copped a nasty knock (might have been friendly fire). So now we were two players out. At first this was irrelevant because we dominated possession. Our handball and run and spread seem to catch the Roos unawares and they seemed to have no answer. Late in the second quarter, North worked out what they were doing wrong and it was us who had no answer - this went on all through the third quarter before we fought a gallant battle to not let the match blow out in the last quarter. Part of North's improved performance may have been due to the loss of Billings and Steven and reduced contribution from Hickey. (Early in the third quarter Hickey was pushed into the fence which collapsed. I think he showed some soreness after that).

What went right for us? Well Seb Ross is one shining light, but there were many other positives: Acres, Templeton, Gresham, Lee, Saunders, Holmes and I was particularly pleased to see Tom Curren kick that goal. Sinclair seemed to be in defence early, but it was his efforts that were instrumental in much of our second half scoring.

Our next hitout we will include some of: Riewoldt, Fisher, Montagna, Armitage, Roberton, Longer, Geary, Membrey and a mix of those fringe players who haven't had a run yet. We may drop some of our better players from today so we may not have a really strong side even in Brisbane (2 weeks away) but this season is not a sprint race. We will ease our way into it ensuring that we maximise the long term output of our players.

North are close to the precipice. Their window is seen to be closing - and they are notorious in their mediocre starts so they are keen to address this by coming out all guns firing. I think they caught us a little unawares at the sheer ferocity of their intent. We will learn from this.

North are close to the precipice. Their window is seen to be closing - and they are notorious in their mediocre starts so they are keen to address this by coming out all guns firing. I think they caught us a little unawares at the sheer ferocity of their intent. We will learn from this.

Good post. I'd just develop the above to state that North had nothing to lose so they had no real opportunity to choke, their coach didn't sieze up and become a table punching supporter merely observing and not communicating and Boomer had no need to punch and kick behind play and get suspended after another brain fade and nowhere to apply his angry stick (although he was on classic soft ball form for quite a while there).

So when you add all that up, we didn't play the real North. We played the North free form their self imposed doubt when it matters.

With a bit of luck we will get the more typical latter north in the season proper (assuming it's imperative to beat us when they play us).

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Acres had 14 disposals @ 78% effiency, he also laid 5 tackles, kicked 1 goal 1 and had 5 score involvements. What sort of output would you be happy with from a 20 year old who's played 10 games?

This!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back