Autopsy NAB Challenge Week 1, St Kilda v North Melbourne, Saturday 20 February 2016, Wangaratta

Remove this Banner Ad

What does the club see in Danny Sexton?

He has the personality of a 'dead carp', he barely looks interested and never
seems happy. He reminds me of an English teacher a had in high school who always looked like he hated his job.

How can this type of personality be a positive around a club. He is meant to be tactical master well I havent seen any signs of that in.his time at the club. He must be good at something otherwise he wouldn't have lasted this long - but wow he could do with a personality over haul!
Oh gawd.

Ever heard the saying, leave if you don't like it?

Luke Beveridge looks
& sounds emotionless but he coaches alright.

seems happy. He reminds me of an English teacher a had in high school who always looked like he hated his job.

How can this type of personality be a positive around a club. He is meant to be tactical master well I havent seen any signs of that in.his time at the club. He must be good at something otherwise he wouldn't have lasted this long - but wow he could do with a personality over haul!
http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/a...m/news-story/219da0ecc5a02f09defd3979ea055934

"At one end of the table is a whiteboard and its best friend is Danny Sexton.

Sexton runs the show. He speaks for 45 minutes of the one-hour meeting and his knowledge of how football is played seems both enlightening and alarming.

If footy is a religion, then Sexton speaks in tongues."

Worth reading IMO, I'm really grateful we have him.

*Edit-was letting me access it without a subscription, but might not let everyone, am I allowed to copy and paste this somewhere?

In the last quarter when the legs got tired there was no run and we started to just bomb it forward and regularly straight to a north player. This is where we need to get better - the overlap run earlier in the game wasn't there.

In the replay Dunstan did some really smart things in the last. He kept plugging away at it. In general we weren't clean below our knees and when the pressure was on at clearances . North did this well.

I've currently just rewatched the first quarter.
Tom Lee looks very solid and looks more comfortable than Goddard and Delaney, expect the opportunities to come in a make or break season.
Saunders actually looks likely and has a lot of positive attributes, demotion to the rookie list might be the kick up the ass he needs to make it. Front runner for the rookie upgrade.
Savage is frustratingly inconsistent, he could be a star.
Hickey competes well, and whilst his marks aren't quite sticking, he is making a contest and offers a good second ruck option.
Gresham you can tell is going to be a player.
Newnes is very solid and whilst I don't think he'll ever be a star, he's a 250 game player for us.
We absolutely suck on the counter, and have for a long time.

Couldn't be happier that the ignore button exists right now. :cool: Cuts out all the ridiculous constant negativity from some. Bliss.
Oh, I don't know. I like reading some of those comments... They make me feel smart.

FFS. Are you sure you support this club whingers only?

Who are you going to pot next? The boot studder?

This game showed how much we need carsile and freeman badly.

Has their been work d if freeman will be a mid/fwd or a def/mid ajar I doubt the club chucks him to the wolves

Didn't see the game.
But I thought given the side we had in, we did pretty well. Remember NM were preliminary finalists and they played almost their full side, we played our youngest group ever.
Wondering if you guys reckon our defence will still struggle again against the taller bigger forwards as Petrie 4, Wood 3 and Waite 4 goals?

I've currently just rewatched the first quarter.
Tom Lee looks very solid and looks more comfortable than Goddard and Delaney, expect the opportunities to come in a make or break season.
Saunders actually looks likely and has a lot of positive attributes, demotion to the rookie list might be the kick up the ass he needs to make it. Front runner for the rookie upgrade.
Savage is frustratingly inconsistent, he could be a star.
Hickey competes well, and whilst his marks aren't quite sticking, he is making a contest and offers a good second ruck option.
Gresham you can tell is going to be a player.
Newnes is very solid and whilst I don't think he'll ever be a star, he's a 250 game player for us.
We absolutely suck on the counter, and have for a long time.

I was a big Saunders fan early on and his VFL form was pretty good. When he got a go in the seniors late last year he really looked a million miles away and I thought his papers were stamped but he actually looked quite effective yesterday. Same with Curran. I think Wright and saunders probably are both in a position now where every post has to be a winner and they would be pretty aware of it. I hope both make it just for the fact we didn't go so well at the draft around that time and both have good qualities with their pace, outside run and ability to contest a ball hard.

I thought Hickey was one of our few players who was still playing in the 4th quarter and seemed to get better. He looked better away from a KPF role unfortunately.
I reckon Newnes will be a star but he's more your Mr Reliable Nathan Burke than Robert harvey.

gresham has some it factor- I'm excited. I wanted him so I have to see the best in him but looks ready made. I could see him having a Lewis Taylor year where he just walks in and looks at home from day one.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Didn't see the game.
But I thought given the side we had in, we did pretty well. Remember NM we preliminary finalists and they played almost their full side, we played our youngest group ever.
Wondering if you guys reckon our defence will still struggle again against the taller bigger forwards as Petrie 4, Wood 3 and Waite 4 goals?

I actually thought we were exposed because North had an easy run through the midfield, they just kept winning out of the middle and sending it in quick which left our defenders out of position and they had 5 or 6 guys who all looked likely to score. Dempster looked like he was going a bit half paced and Fisher would have helped. I'm not too worried. You just have to watch these things and see what they were trying to achieve even when they don't work. We had one good half where we were in the game and then just protected our players by resting the most important of them. It was hot and the majority were kids who faded. No stress yet. Goddard looks tired from the increased training I assume too. Lee might end up getting a run for an extended period if that's the case. He was good apart from one shocking kick that turned over about 15 meters from goal.

Second quarter:
Billings and Steven good.
Ross started influencing the game in the contest and will be a regular in 2016.
Acres is close to the level, maybe needs slightly more awareness cos he often has a bit more time than he realizes.
Savage still inconsistent, so good, yet some turnovers. Good definitely outweighs the bad tho.
Coughlan definitely thrown to the wolves with Paddy going down (Tom Lee forced forward), good competitor but not ready physically.
Goddard looks a little off, plenty of time for him though. Delaney doesn't look good enough, unfortunately.
I'm still liking what Lee and Hickey are showing so far.
Curren and Saunders still solid and look ok.
Dunstan and Lonie not getting near it...

FFS. Are you sure you support this club whingers only?

Who are you going to pot next? The boot studder?

About time the boot studder was shown the door. In an era of molded soles he's nothing but a drain on the club's finances. :D

I can't believe the crap that's been posted on this board in the last 24 hours, yesterday was a PRACTICE match. Look up the definition of practice in the dictionary.

A couple of points from my point of view.
Gresham, well most people know what I think of Gresham, will be as good as Brent Harvey at his peak.
Coughlan, shows a lot, has a way to go but has the tools to play good footy at this level eventually.
Saunders, has a go but not one of my 'premiership' heroes in the future.
Hickey, has enormous upside, a rare commodity in modern AFL.
Billings, Nick Dal Santo MK11.
Acres has a way to go, but looking physically able to handle the load.
Most of our young kids like Dunstan and Goddard are three years from their best footy, every game is about learning and development.

The first half was excellent against a very well credentialed team, the second half a great hit out for fitness levels at high intensity.

I was actually pretty impressed by yesterday's game and it was the most intense game out of all the ones before ours. Games are won and lost in the middle as was the case when we rested Billings, Steven and Gilbert after half time.

One thing that I will point out though and it was evident last year and cost us about 6 or so goals yesterday was the ease that teams are able to run the ball out of defence without us even in alight vicinity to lay a tackle. Now I don't think this is personnel but rather structures and set ups. That was the only thing that I thought was pretty poor and we need to improve on from a decent day.

He is our most overrated player for mine. Was outclassed in the ruck against a couple of rookies, he doesn't seem to know what to do in the forward line. He is ok floating around the ground, but he's no Ben McEvoy in that regard either.

Handy Depth only at this stage.

Remember that article was written by Mark Robinson - burningdwarf, who also has NFI about the game.

What wonders has he done with the Saints since becoming an assistant, turned an average list around form 18 to 16th well done Danny! All that says is he has a teaching background and can waffle.

What inovative changes has he made?
What players have gone up levels under his tutelage?

Terry Daniher was not a great strategist but he could inspire or motivate kids to greater feats. He knew what it meant to be hard, he knew what it costs to win games. I dont see any of that in Sexton, he is just another want to be with no/zip personality or persona! Give me Daniher any day over the robot.

How bloody lucky are we that Sinclair chose cricket over footy in his u18 year. That solo moment in the 3rd quarter shows how special he's going to be. He and Billings are living the boyhood dream together!

At the moment he does it all except accumulate, if he can develop this side of his game to the 20-25 possies a game, he could become an absolute A-grader. His goal sense, quick hands, measured aggression... A very exciting prospect.

Remember that article was written by Mark Robinson - burningdwarf, who also has NFI about the game.

What wonders has he done with the Saints since becoming an assistant, turned an average list around form 18 to 16th well done Danny! All that says is he has a teaching background and can waffle.

Terry Daniher was not a great strategist but he could inspire or motivate kids to greater feats. He knew what it meant to be hard, he knew what it costs to win games. I dont see any of that in Sexton, he is just another want to be with no/zip personality or persona! Give me Daniher any day over the robot.

Are you talking about the same bloke who came second in the assistant coach of the year? As voted by players AND coaches....

I can't believe the crap that's been posted on this board in the last 24 hours, yesterday was a PRACTICE match. Look up the definition of practice in the dictionary.

A couple of points from my point of view.
Gresham, well most people know what I think of Gresham, will be as good as Brent Harvey at his peak.
Coughlan, shows a lot, has a way to go but has the tools to play good footy at this level eventually.
Saunders, has a go but not one of my 'premiership' heroes in the future.
Billings, Nick Dal Santo MK11.
Acres has a way to go, but looking physically able to handle the load.
Most of our young kids like Dunstan and Goddard are three years from their best footy, every game is about learning and development.

The first half was excellent against a very well credentialed team, the second half a great hit out for fitness levels at high intensity.

Billings kicks goals .
Really happy with all the kids myself ,will be a very nice team in 18months

So explain why he was voted as the second best assistant coach by his peers?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back