Review NAB3: Port v Richmond Review

Remove this Banner Ad

I loved this from Impey. Great courage!
OL8jz1H.gif
That may have been the moment that drew praise from Brereton regarding players who see the hit coming but complete the passage of play they are involved in to get it done. If it wasn't that one it's of the same ilk.

Last edited:
.... With a little more composure, one could kick it to a player to counter attack with precision, kicking to out to no one just means that its going to come back....... control is the key......
I think the point is to do it when there is no one to kick it to. Instead of holding it, going backwards/sideways just get it on the boot and kick into attack. Ergo control is just not an option other than it's best it doesn't go out - although that really only seemed to have been a feature in our game so far this weekend.

I find we are going along the boundary, unlike other years where we have gone through the middle. Has anyone else noticed or am I just picking on a few moments during games?

I enjoy watching the Gray's, just great FOOTBALLERS! If Toumpas could get Ebert's engine he would be excellent especially with his disposal

Toumpas has a good engine, he just needs help finding the ball.

That truly was interesting. I thought it the rugby/grid-iron tactic because you are almost certainly kicking it to their defenders, then trying to stop their attack before they restructure. Hats off to the tacticians at the club who implemented it, quirky to watch.
Its gunna take me awhile to get used to by which time I'll have no hair left and old father time is already working on that.
Its at its most obvious on the long clearing kick but if it's a genuine tactic it explains the high # of blind around the body
hail marys. Aint the prettiest but as others have said effective and allows us to use our running power.
I was cursing Hinkley for lack of structure and now on reading this thread I'm looking for a flannel to get the
egg off my face. I thought I had a modicom of footy knowledge. "Strange days are these, most peculiar mama" (J Lennon)

Toumpas has a good engine, he just needs help finding the ball.
And a healthy dose of self belief. At one stage in the game he was breaking clear thru' the middle and h/balls off to a fellow runner.
Take the responsibility Jimmy. Own the moment coz your kicking to advantage is a strength of yours. Before anyone says "are
you kidding", well no I'm not. No-ones perfect and he missed the target once that I saw? His DE% is good to very good.
He may well lose his spot to Polec but he's no spud. Give him some patience and Jimmy believe in yourself !

Another interesting setup I noticed was the "kick to no one" approach. Initially I thought it was a once off, but it happened at least 8-9 times even when under no pressure. I'm not sure I'm a fan of it. It's pretty much the old English soccer tactic - kick long, then "push up!" I think it's a Bassett thing because it certainly hasn't been used in the Hinkley era prior to last night. On quite a few occasions though, it was successful. Sure, we give up possession, but we also were earnest in our forward defensive pressure, which really smothered Richmond when they took possession of the footy in that instance. I'm looking forward to seeing how it develops. At the very least, it's going to be one of those tactics that will be useful whenever we are under pressure. Last year if we kicked to no one, the ball was easily taken back into our defensive half/50.
Its actually something I remember seeing used surprisingly commonly in West Coast's premiership year, kick to no-one, and to a certain extent they'd keep knocking the ball forward almost refusing to take clean possession - its risky but means you have forward momentum while your opponent can't legally tackle you, which is a great combo if you've got pace & ball skills.

Its also a pretty Crows tactic before that, remember Simon Goodwin being the king of `boot to ball and just get it forward' at every clearance? It can get destroyed by good reactive zoning and skilled interceptors though.

I find we are going along the boundary, unlike other years where we have gone through the middle. Has anyone else noticed or am I just picking on a few moments during games?

I enjoy watching the Gray's, just great FOOTBALLERS! If Toumpas could get Ebert's engine he would be excellent especially with his disposal

that is the oppositions tactic - you need to push Port along the boundary otherwise our leg speed through the corridor will kill you.

As an example, the Crows are the opposite (at least last year), they need to play along the boundary and force a contested ball game because they lack leg speed.

I think the point is to do it when there is no one to kick it to. Instead of holding it, going backwards/sideways just get it on the boot and kick into attack. Ergo control is just not an option other than it's best it doesn't go out - although that really only seemed to have been a feature in our game so far this weekend.

If in doubt, boot it out.... has always been a default action for any defenders for many years.

We look better hand balling our way of trouble than kicking aimlessly and hoping that it bounces or lands into someone hands or advantage.

For this to work at its best, three players with run and carry need sit in the middle of park in certain positions so that defender doesn't have to think where to kick to...... DIXON and Shultz would be the marking contest and to collect the crumbs Neade, White, Wingard, Gray....to run into an empty forward line and goals.

If in doubt, boot it out.... has always been a default action for any defenders for many years ....
Well kicking it out, even if it goes 90m, is a bit of a lottery now. But whacking it up the ground has always been a plodder play, a thing you were supposed to get smarter about after U10s. I honestly don't know why it looked a smart move the other night, I think it was because our midfield pressure was marginally better than theirs for most of the game and it largely paid off. If the ball had kept sailing back over our heads as any long time footy watcher would have expected we just would have looked like an unstructured rabble. Cue Byrons Firen's observation that that is what it intuitively looked like to him.

People are kidding themselves if they seriously dont think he will get a week!

We will live if he gets a week. If he didn't do it at all there would be no head aches :)

(Log in to remove this ad.)

We will live if he gets a week. If he didn't do it at all there would be no head aches :)
I think we can beat the Saints with or without him. They're a developing side, but seriously - if we can't beat a side like that in our own back yard, then I fear a little for their season.

We'll need all hands on deck against the Crows though - that should be a sensational game.

Why do the umpires spend 20 seconds or so explaining and consoling tigers players after a free against them?

Also, Dylan Grimes, every time he has the ball within 5m of boundary makes a beeline for it. But no, that rule's only for Port

that rule's only for Port
Ken in his post match presser at the end said we have been shafted without any vasciline thru'out the NAB series
and that he'd spoken to Campbell (umps chief apologist) about it. For err err clarification. Yeah that's right clarification
Rumour has it #15 Nicholls, complete with s******, was seen eavesdropping the conversation.

Why do the umpires spend 20 seconds or so explaining and consoling tigers players after a free against them?

Also, Dylan Grimes, every time he has the ball within 5m of boundary makes a beeline for it. But no, that rule's only for Port
"Sorry, mate. It was so obvious it I couldn't ignore it this time."

.... Also, Dylan Grimes, every time he has the ball within 5m of boundary makes a beeline for it. But no, that rule's only for Port
Really has been true that latter part. Westhoff undeniably took the ball out deliberately early in our game but was standing on the boundary and that was super antsy by the umpires. By yesterday's Sydney/Carlton game players were knocking/handballing the ball over from metres away in ways that should have been deliberate out of bounds for years past but it wasn't being paid. I'm annoyed that that is now annoying me. Today as I dip in and out of the games being played I'd like, just once, to see a deliberate paid similar to those we saw against us. Just one umpies, do it for Powerstufff!

And a healthy dose of self belief. At one stage in the game he was breaking clear thru' the middle and h/balls off to a fellow runner.
Take the responsibility Jimmy. Own the moment coz your kicking to advantage is a strength of yours. Before anyone says "are
you kidding", well no I'm not. No-ones perfect and he missed the target once that I saw? His DE% is good to very good.
He may well lose his spot to Polec but he's no spud. Give him some patience and Jimmy believe in yourself !

He was kicking at 90% efficiency for the match, so obviously he is hitting targets very well. Just needs more of the pill, and more f50 entries.

So much this. And every time he takes the ball over the line he will walk back slowly holding the ball and looking directly at the umpire, almost begging them to pay a deliberate against him.
Someone please stick a photo in TJ's locker of Hodge bumping Wingard into the post and that stupid "wots goen on ere then?" look all over his campaigner face after it.

EDIT: for truth
View attachment 224197
Seeing this photo and recalling the event brings out anger in me that I don't like.

Last edited:
I am really looking forward to what Neade brings to the table this year. I've been a huge critic of his previously, to the point of suggesting he has no future, but from what I've seen so far I am optimistic that he can be a +30 goal small forward whilst forcing defenders to make many other mistakes.

Hoping that Clurey makes a speedy recovery, I could see him slowly overtaking big Bob this year. Big year for Tom in any case!

Fair to say that Ken has locked Toumps for round 1?
Phwoar err wouldn't bank on that. He said Krak is right for Rd1 re hammy and Polly's a lock. For mine Dougal too
especially after the 17 day break. Things are tight re selection.
We have a few 6 day breaks between games in the 1st month so anything is possible.

Fair to say that Ken has locked Toumps for round 1?
Not on his NAB Challenge performances. But the plan may be to try and extract his potential in the AFL team so it's a possibility. Of the fit senior list players available to replace him I don't see a standout. Krakouer or Young would be better options if match ready but I have no idea if they are.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back