Player Watch Nathan Murphy (Retired 2024)

Remove this Banner Ad

Terrible news but hopefully this is the best decision for his long term health and a long life ahead.

Thanks for the service; particularly the last two years where he was a dependable pillar of our defence. No one can doubt the courage.

Sad news but his health and future is of the utmost importance, and he retires a premiership player. May not have played much of the GF, but we don't make it there without him in my opinion

His health is the priority and he’s made the correct decision. Good luck in the future, young man.

I’d just like to highlight that without Murphy our backline has regressed massively - such is his value to the team.

An absolutely fearless champion of our club and extremely underrated. Was our most important back half player.

Health comes first. Figured made decision to retire yesterday after that big hug at the club that was aired on the news.

But great to see him come from battling and then cementing a spot in the team to then be a part of a Premiership team.

Always be a Magpie and a Premiership player now.

Best of luck Nathan ⚫⚪🏆

Very sad to see him retire, but am behind him whatever he chose to do.

His unwavering courage seemed to have come at a cost.

What a great effort to develop from a skinny kid into a Premiership CHB like he did. I certainly didn’t see that coming from early doors.

Such a sad part of our game.

Thanks Murph - we'll never know how good this bloke was going to get. He was only getting better and better.

I've said so many times on here, he needed to retire. Even though it's the necessary call, it's so hard to accept now it's actually happening!

I hope the club includes him still - if that's what he wants.

Hardly the same risk let’s be honest.
Will Pucovski disagrees with this post!

Getting cut down in your prime is such a tough way to go, but ultimately it’s for the best. The club will get around him always a premiership hero!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wow Murphy is only 24

Yeah it's really sad

But also shows how quickly he developed over the last few seasons. Technically hadn't even hit his prime yet so scary to think how much better he could have become.

Our defence has become tangibly worse without him there so hopefully he can mentor Charlie Dean and TJ to be ready faster

He took a while to find his stride, then he did and suddenly we couldn't imagine our defence without him.

He was fierce, to others and to himself.

24 years old and a lot to look forward to in the real world beyond footy.

Go hard, Murph.

Very sad day. Love Murphy, the flying red hair, the freckles, the crazy brave play.

I walked out of the GF when he went down in the first quarter and took a while to return. I was distraught for him and us, so much value did I place on his play and contribution.

There might be a replacement in terms of his height and skills - maybe - but I doubt in terms of his bravery.

He was the perfect complement to Moore and Howe, helping to make us over the course of 2023 one of the best and stingiest defences in the AFL.

Been saying it from the start even though many mocked me for it. Retirement is 100% the correct call, well done Murphy and hope u are well looked after in retirement. Premiership hero
You were mocked(and still will be) for believing you knew better than the reported medical advice he had received. Sounds like that advice has changed.

All power to Murph. All too brief a career, but a flag softens the blow.

Devastating

As others have said Tom langdon now Murphy

Poor bloke

Remove this Banner Ad

Back