National Broadband Network

Remove this Banner Ad

Speed testing shows it’s a lot faster than it used to be, but I can’t say I notice in common use

I doubt 99.9% of people will notice if they are getting 20 vs 25 or 88 vs 100. This thread is a massive circle jerk of hate for a network that is improving the majority of peoples connections by 100-1000x. I was getting 1.2d on ADSL2+, currently 200kb because the network is being completely abandoned (i reckon) due to NBN being a month away. I will be getting 18-20d at least once NBN comes that is a massive improvement in my and my entire local street groups' internet access.

Complaints are down, speeds are up but same old faces carry on as though they can't stream or surf the web.

Lol

Snail's pace of a proper FTTP network is better than wasting $11billion on Telstra's copper network. They've had to lay new copper in a lot of areas to even get FTTN working. Australia has slower internet than Kazakhstan and It's now going to cost more thanks to 2013 decision than if they'd stayed on a proper FTTP to begin with. How is doing it right the first time wrong?

Gillard was our most productive PM ever with the amount of legislation she got through and that was a minority government. The whole back Rudd is symptom of political system, kinda like how the libs have gone Abbott/Turnball/HappyClapper

When it is ludicrously under-costed, it's roll-out is completely botched and it still didn't even work as advertised then "doing it right the first time" is clearly wrong. The NBN was promised in 2007 they couldn't get their shit together in 6 years to actually make anything happen most of the rollout has been completed under the libs and internet is vastly improved, to a level that 99.9% of users will be more than happy with for a very long time.

When it is ludicrously under-costed, it's roll-out is completely botched and it still didn't even work as advertised then "doing it right the first time" is clearly wrong. The NBN was promised in 2007 they couldn't get their shit together in 6 years to actually make anything happen most of the rollout has been completed under the libs and internet is vastly improved, to a level that 99.9% of users will be more than happy with for a very long time.

NBN was promised in '07 to be delivered by 2021. The biggest failures so far have been Liberals ideas 1. of using the HFC networks and 2. even getting to the promised 25mbps with FTTN . ALP's mistakes were rolling out too much wireless satellite early on thanks to Rudd rushing, and the CVC pricing model.

If you think < 25mbps and will keep 99.9% of population happy you're clueless

Well my broadband is certainly much faster even though as I said I don’t appreciate the extra speed yet, but equally haven’t paid more for it
It certainly wouldn’t have happened if left to market forces

NBN was promised in '07 to be delivered by 2021. The biggest failures so far have been Liberals ideas 1. of using the HFC networks and 2. even getting to the promised 25mbps with FTTN . ALP's mistakes were rolling out too much wireless satellite early on thanks to Rudd rushing, and the CVC pricing model.

If you think < 25mbps and will keep 99.9% of population happy you're clueless

Well sorry I disagree, I don't think you know anyone in the real world really if you think they wont be pleased by 25mbps at the price they were paying previously for 1mbps (paying $20 extra to get close to 100mbps if they so choose). I've had 4 family/friends complaining about it, 3 of them who i tested their net and actually asked to articulate their issues couldn't, imo it's just the hip thing to do (hate on NBN) it is objectively multitudes better than previous for the majority of the population and it's improving as more capacity comes online.

The problem with that theory is that when people had 1mbps they only needed 1mbps. Nowadays you need a minimum 25mbps. That is why 25mbps is the bare minimum on offer. So it is objectively no better than before.

Massively overstating the change, yes internet usage is going up steadily but you don't need more than 25mbps, NBN will also improve and price for higher speeds will come down and new technology will come in like expanded 4G and 5G.

4G and 5G are complementary technologies, not alternatives to fibre. Aside from needing a fibre network to plug into in the first place, fixed wireless has fundamental limitations (geological, meteorological, biological) that make it good in specific sets of circumstances where complete fibre is impossible or prohibitive, but that's all. Fibre always has and always will smoke it head to head for capacity, latency, and stability.

27 years ago Australia led the world in optical fibre

In fact the australian telecommunications commission led the world in a lot of things

And now with the privatisation of Telstra we have zero r&d

We have a total abortion of a service that certainly should have been worlds best practice

The only bloke who benefitted was rupert and he got 30 million for his mischief

Shame on us

NBN was promised in '07 to be delivered by 2021.

NBN missed every target set for it from 2007 to 2013. It was thought bubble by Conroy and Rudd that wasn't costed and incompetently implemented. Turnbull's NBN lite was stupid reaction to that.

Creating a government monopoly was dumb. Mandating fibre to every property was dumb. Labor has now acknowledged those mistakes and said it won't substantially change NBN when it gets in.

What both parties are keeping schtum about is the massive write down on NBN valuation that is required because it's a fantasy that it will ever pay for itself, as its construction was originally justified.

There was never a mandate of fibre to every property (but a higher percentage than the liberals), but they paid telstra a flat fee to be able to bypass their last link to the home - then the libs paid again to use the last link (of sometimes decades old copper)

Could be cvc - id change service providers first to see if that helps.

Any of you out there about to get nbn please dont get sucked into the carriers giving you a “free router” in return for 24 month contract.

The router they are giving you is a pos $5 special

Go month by month and buy your own - look up on whirlpool whats good around your budget - netgear nighthawk is great with nbn

If you can afford it spend >2-300 bucks

Aussie broadband is the company i recommend to most people as they dont skimp on cvc.
Just changed over to Aussie broadband 50/20 NBN last night. So far all good. I also bought our own modem, a D-Link Viper AC2600, will see how this all goes.

7.30 had a report on the disgrace that is the NBN and if anyone had any doubt about the arrogance and falseness of the IPA apparatchik, Fifield, they should have a gander via Iview.

RkgIqJA.jpg

Finally signed NBN deal, price is $20 p/m cheaper for the 50D pack (44 peak speeds supposedly). Amazing i can get 10x the speed for 20% cheaper than I've been paying till now, if its solid once they connect i'll have to say its a great success.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Local report from Canterbury vic on cable. Got a note saying NBN is available but they are flat out converting and to hang back. In the meantime pleas have a free upgrade to 100 down (it’s still ~5 upload)

Are they saying hint hint don’t bother? Their unlimited NBN is 40/15 so unless needing better upload, why bother? Premium would cost more

If the time comes for them to lean on me, I’m going to ask for some incentives

Your on cable internet not NBN most likely. That network will eventually be decommissioned. I'm in the same boat, hang on as long as possible
Yeah Telstra just bumped up speed to 100MB on their cable, its amazing how much faster and cheaper my internet has got over the last couple of years now that Telstra can't guarantee I will stay with them when the cable gets switched off.

I have enjoyed them appearing generous after years of price gouging an captive audience

Currently have ADSL at around 6Mb/s anywhere down to 1-2 at times.

NBN website said rollout in April 2019, just check again and it’s been pushed back by a full year to April 2020 (FTTC)!!

Disappoint!

it's interesting that ADSL slows down by a factor of 3 during the NBN roll out

I wonder if that's a tactic to make you feel impressed/relieved by the NBN

it's interesting that ADSL slows down by a factor of 3 during the NBN roll out

I wonder if that's a tactic to make you feel impressed/relieved by the NBN

The speed has nothing to do with the NBN. It’s the shitty existing copper lines in the street and distance to the exchange (and aren’t out of town either...).

Drop outs all the time too...

There wasn't much to destroy. Labor's implementation of the NBN went at snail's pace. Turnbull's NBN was only slightly less silly but at least he got the delivery moving.

Only idiots could vote ALP after the debacle of the Rudd/Gillard/Rudd years.
To indulge in metaphor:
Ridiculously moaning that as no one is renting apartments while the actual building is being constructed, means that actual construction of the building should be cancelled and privatised...
Look at how quickly people have stared sleeping on the streets or in tents. They are paying money to be there. And it's happening at a much faster rate than finishing the building!

Did the implementation actually happen at a snail's pace?...
I thought this was the most disingenuous(stupid) post I'd seen in a while.
But then I saw this next post...
When it is ludicrously under-costed, it's roll-out is completely botched and it still didn't even work as advertised then "doing it right the first time" is clearly wrong. The NBN was promised in 2007 they couldn't get their **** together in 6 years to actually make anything happen most of the rollout has been completed under the libs and internet is vastly improved, to a level that 99.9% of users will be more than happy with for a very long time.
Apart from you displaying a total misunderstanding of what happened, and how it was deliberately sabotaged... You're arguing FOR FTTP...

Do you have even the slightest understanding of why Netflix was blocked in Australia for so long? Or why high speed 'internet' was turned into a wedge issue??...

Why is Kayo suddenly huge? Who is profiting from that?... What do you get from Kayo, that you don't get from a Foxtel subscription?...

And yet people like you, complain that GetUp... has too much power...

I doubt 99.9% of people will notice if they are getting 20 vs 25 or 88 vs 100. This thread is a massive circle jerk of hate for a network that is improving the majority of peoples connections by 100-1000x. I was getting 1.2d on ADSL2+, currently 200kb because the network is being completely abandoned (i reckon) due to NBN being a month away. I will be getting 18-20d at least once NBN comes that is a massive improvement in my and my entire local street groups' internet access.

Complaints are down, speeds are up but same old faces carry on as though they can't stream or surf the web.
I was getting 1.2 on ADSL2 I now get the same on NBN
They cant get it any faster because of the copper
Spent the first month and a bit with constant drop outs and no phone for long periods of time too

https://thenewdaily.com.au/life/tec...um=email&utm_campaign=Morning News - 20190508

Around half of all homes in Sydney, Melbourne and Brisbane will be connected to the NBN via the oldest and most controversial of the patchwork of technologies available, research by the University of Sydney and Arizona State University has found.​
The data suggested that between 40 and 60 per cent of homes in those cities would be connected via “very old technology” known as hybrid fibre-coaxial (HFC).​
The initial rollout of HFC was plagued by issues, with NBN Co forced to upgrade many of the original connections.​
Inferior speeds aren’t the only issue faced by HFC users.​
“There are also a large number of complaints about reliability and the fact that it drops out,” Dr Alizadeh said.​
“People’s experiences are really awful, and the warnings were there from the very early days.”​
Once destined for the scrap heap, the cable infrastructure has been repurposed and cobbled together with a mix of new technology.​
As the nation comes continues to grapple with the NBN debacle, Telstra, Foxtel and Optus have emerged as “the real winners”, Dr Alizadeh said.​
“They’re making money off something that needed to be written off.”​

kranky al

Kranky, was it you posting in one of these NBN threads about something you could introduce to your home like your own personal wifi service rather than a simple signal booster?

I remember it was a WCE supporter that works in the industry but can't remember which one, I also can't remember what the thing was called. From memory it involves something that plugs into your router that picks up a satellite signal and you can have multiple boosters for it throughout your home.

If not kranky al then anyone else that knows what I'm talking about, feel free to jump in and tell me what it's called.

kranky al

Kranky, was it you posting in one of these NBN threads about something you could introduce to your home like your own personal wifi service rather than a simple signal booster?

I remember it was a WCE supporter that works in the industry but can't remember which one, I also can't remember what the thing was called. From memory it involves something that plugs into your router that picks up a satellite signal and you can have multiple boosters for it throughout your home.

If not kranky al then anyone else that knows what I'm talking about, feel free to jump in and tell me what it's called.

Found it, NetGear Orbi.

Anyone have any experience with this or similar?

Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Recommendations?

Found it, NetGear Orbi.

Anyone have any experience with this or similar?

Good, Bad, Indifferent?

Recommendations?
I've got Netgear Orbi, got a base unit and one satellite because my place isn't that big

was a pain in the arse to setup with Telstra cable due to IP conflicts on the default IP but once I got it going it's worked great.

Get good wifi signal anywhere in the house now and I used the built in ports let my server talk to my HTPC so I can stream local media over WIFI now without any issues

Remove this Banner Ad

Back