List Mgmt. 2014 AFL Draft

Remove this Banner Ad

Apr 30, 2011
Wollongong
AFL Club
GWS
With the draft less then two weeks away thought it was well and truly time to start a thread that is just focused on the draft.

So at this stage we have most strongly been linked to Pickett and Goddard, with some suggestions that we may also have interest in Laverde, Lever, Ahern, De Goey, Marchbank, & after reports that we had no real interest in Wright it may actually not be the case.

Also perhaps Laverde could fall our way at 6

Last edited:

As things stand right now I would love it if we took Laverde, Goddard and Pickett with our first three and maybe a Maynard with our pick 23
It would be interesting if both Laverde and pickett were still available after collingwoods pick 5.. it is quite possible whichever one we don't take with 4 will get snapped up

It would be interesting if both Laverde and pickett were still available after collingwoods pick 5.. it is quite possible whichever one we don't take with 4 will get snapped up

Brett Anderson was really strong last night that Collingwood were taking De Goey but Sam Landsberger was last night saying Kyle Langford!!

I think we must roll dice on Pickett at 4 and hope Laverde is there at 7. Goddard looks locked in at 6.

Brett Anderson was really strong last night that Collingwood were taking De Goey but Sam Landsberger was last night saying Kyle Langford!!

I think we must roll dice on Pickett at 4 and hope Laverde is there at 7. Goddard looks locked in at 6.
either way i like the idea of us avoiding Wright... we already have a bunch of talls needing time to develop a more rounded game... seems a waste to add another

either way i like the idea of us avoiding Wright... we already have a bunch of talls needing time to develop a more rounded game... seems a waste to add another

I think Wright will be a very good player in about 3 or 4 years but probably not what we need. The re-signing of Patton and Tomlinson negates the need for him even further plus he doesn't see himself as a ruck who goes forward he sees himself as a forward who relief rucks.

We need an injection of speed and a steady 194cm+ tall down back

Goddard looks locked in at 6.
Wow. If Plow was over-valued at #3 in his draft, we won't have learnt much chasing Goddard @ #6. I would have thought Goddard is worth pick 15-20.
For mine
Pickett @ 4 (he's what we need the most-outside dash)
Laverde/ Lever/ De Gooey @ 6 (Whoever Magpies haven't picked @ 5, it's a vast choice, is it a midfielder or defender?)
Wright @ 7 (his upside is just too much too ignore, even tho' he replicates Lobb's qualities, and SOS kinda stockpiles talls).

Wow. If Plow was over-valued at #3 in his draft, we won't have learnt much chasing Goddard @ #6. I would have thought Goddard is worth pick 15-20.
For mine
Pickett @ 4 (he's what we need the most-outside dash)
Laverde/ Lever/ De Gooey @ 6 (Whoever Magpies haven't picked @ 5, it's a vast choice, is it a midfielder or defender?)
Wright @ 7 (his upside is just too much too ignore, even tho' he replicates Lobb's qualities, and SOS kinda stockpiles talls).

I think the problem is we still look a bit light for key defenders. Jaksch gone, Frost gone, Mohr out for year, Haynes 192cms, Plow 191 cms, Corr 194 cms.

Rationale is we probably are thin if Phil goes down...this year when he was out we were smashed up.

From the vision I query if Goddard is the man but I was unimpressed by the Nick Haynes vision and he is an absolute gun. With defenders they can look a bit plain but can come in and make a mark, Talia is another who's ability far outmatched his highlight reel.

One thing I do know about Goddard is that last year he was a projected number 1 pick for this draft so he must have shown recruiters a lot. He's got some sh*t in him too which I like.

One thing I do know about Goddard is that last year he was a projected number 1 pick for this draft.

And so maybe was Lever.

You prefer Goddard. Maybe Lever has an older head on him, Goddard is more versatile.

Defenders are all long term projects_ we wont see either Goddard or Lever in the 1's for 18 months if injuries don't cripple us. We already invested draft picks on defenders Plowman Corr Bunts and (McCarthy to swing). If one was still available at 23, I'd rather waste a pick on a long term prospect there. But I do agree, lets get one with mongrel, something Plow lacks -he's too cultured, and Corr lacks -is he really interested in getting down and dirty?
Like, a taller heavier Heath Shaw would be a great get_oh wait thats Tim Mohr!

(Log in to remove this ad.)

And so maybe was Lever.

You prefer Goddard. Maybe Lever has an older head on him, Goddard is more versatile.

Defenders are all long term projects_ we wont see either Goddard or Lever in the 1's for 18 months if injuries don't cripple us. We already invested draft picks on defenders Plowman Corr Bunts and (McCarthy to swing). If one was still available at 23, I'd rather waste a pick on a long term prospect there. But I do agree, lets get one with mongrel, something Plow lacks -he's too cultured, and Corr lacks -is he really interested in getting down and dirty?
Like, a taller heavier Heath Shaw would be a great get_oh wait thats Tim Mohr!

Al things equal Lever appears the better player but I think he is 193cms and Goddard is 195cms. Seems to be concerns over his mobility and also the ACL.

We probably need somebody 195+ to add cover for Davis (Goddard most like for like)

I have no idea though just speculating!

Herald Sun say that you guys are into Pickett, Goddard and Ahern with your 3 picks.

with pick 23 if where looking for another inside mid i would look at brayden maynard, connor blakely or alex neal bullen.

i reckon that out of the developing ruckman lobb phillpps and downie i reckon wright will be better then all of them has more of a forward option and a chop out ruck.

Al things equal Lever appears the better player but I think he is 193cms and Goddard is 195cms. Seems to be concerns over his mobility and also the ACL.

We probably need somebody 195+ to add cover for Davis (Goddard most like for like)

I have no idea though just speculating!
yeah goodard is 195cm and 92 kg same as phil davis and watching his highlight package he has a good left leg on him and seems to win a lot of one on one contests shuting down opponents. And lever did a acl not has big or tall has goddard and in his highlight package i thought he look mostly like a losse man jumping into packs not one on one

I've been watching all these little video clips of the potential draftees and the only one that has really impressed me has been Pickett. Wright if we want (yet another) big man, but the others.... (Leverde, Weller, Goddard, Lever, Brayshaw De Goey etc etc) toss a coin. They all look ok, we don't really need any of them, whoever we pick up will be welcome and do alright, but there didn't seem to be any particular stand out among them.

I've been watching all these little video clips of the potential draftees and the only one that has really impressed me has been Pickett. Wright if we want (yet another) big man, but the others.... (Leverde, Weller, Goddard, Lever, Brayshaw De Goey etc etc) toss a coin. They all look ok, we don't really need any of them, whoever we pick up will be welcome and do alright, but there didn't seem to be any particular stand out among them.

I tend to agree. Pickett is exciting the the standout need for us. I do like the look of Lever too, but won't be disappointed if we overlook him. I can see why we might go with Goddard. Whilst not a standout on the clips, he would suit us and provide backline depth.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back