ND Pick 39 - Max Duffy

Remove this Banner Ad

Oh dear.. not impressed at all. NOthing against the kid, but not a KPP and his kicking is shall we say inconsistent. I get the feeling we shat ourselves when Shaw, Close and O'Brien were all taken 6-7 picks beforehand.

Good luck to him though. Prove me wrong!

Watched a bit of him at East Freo this year . Very quick & not afraid to take the game on . In saying that he sometimes tries to do too much & gets caught . If he can be taught to slow down before rushing his kick he will go alright .
Was a player who was unlucky to not get picked last year & really cemented a spot in the league team this year . Got injured & missed a few weeks but not sure what that injury was .

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Now that i think about it, ppl didnt want Membrey because he was undersized for a KPF (and i agreed).. but Membrey would be an upgrade on this kid IMO

tbh, i still cant get over this pick.. as you can probably tell :cool:

Pretty sure he is closer to 188cm than the 183cm they have as listed .
Anyone confirm this .
Certainly looked taller in the games I saw him play .

A little confusing why they bothered with this kid... no disrespect to him but i cant see how he would be a better player than a lachie neale, crozier, sheridan, mellington... to name a few fringe young kids..

A little shocked we didnt take a punt on Membrey or another genuine tall... However we are forgetting that we have Craig Moller added to this recruit list i guess...

His kicking action doesn't look that good. And he ony laid 6 tackes from 15 WAFL games this year. He was very inaccurate which could be good or bad because he had tonnes of scoring opportunities. He was recruited to play forward but doesn't seem like he is very good at defensive pressure.

Some extra info:

He ran the 20m sprint this year in 2.94 seconds and scored 14.2 on the beep test.

I'm pretty disappointed. Have watched him at Sharks & agree with earlier poster that he often runs himself into trouble ala Peake. I also have a mate who coached him in colts at Demons & I recall some years ago that they had all sorts of problems with his (& his father's) ego. Apparently he & his old man were argumentative & weren't interested in playing a team role / far more interested in playing in positions he wanted so he could showcase his skills to AFL recruiters. I think he even got passed over in previous drafts for this perception of him being a selfish player & it's also why he changed clubs (to East Freo).

While I'm willing to believe that he may have possibly matured a bit, & I understand that he will be handy with Ross's game plan / speed & spread, I still don't understand why we wasted pick 39 on him. I think he's the sort of player you get in the PSD. It's especially perplexing when we had earlier recruited Simpson who is also a speedy similar size. I would have rather had Membrey than that bloke (& I hate his tattoo), especially now that McPhee's gone. Also, as Duffy's essentially a winger / flanker - haven't we've got some depth? If we're chasing non-talls, why couldn't we have got ourselves another inside mid like that Pongracic? I just don't understand.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back