NEAFL- 2014

Remove this Banner Ad

Can anyone shed any light on why the scores are so low and why it was so tight a game between Swans and Lions in Mackay? Swans seemed to have a strong list again this week. Surprised the margin was only a point.
It was extremely wet, had 70 mls through the week. And the way the swans play. Good effort by the lions after being 26 nil down early. No Maloney he was in NZ as travelling emergency

Thunder up by 8 goals that's look like a bit of a practice match in pre season... Redlands haven't look like it from the opening bounce.Look so slow and flat footed.... ( Thunder can make u look like that I guess.) I thought this would happen, as Redlands are coming off only a five day break which involved that sapping clash against Southport last week.Add to that the travel to Darwin and playing at the Thunders fortress/ climate, they were never goin to win this game.
Was at the game but unfortunately Redlands weren't. Such a lacklustre performance from the Bombers. I thought once Gilhaus and vea vea were out and Lockwood was only ruckman with Patrick chipping in I thought bombers a chance. A bit to work on for Coach Penguin

Hey Norwest

We are hearing rumours coming up Hume Hwy that we need to be very wary this weekend as your troops are backs to wall & threats of player payment cuts to drive some improvement from the group ????
Is it also true ?? ... that a newly appointed president resigned after a big argument regarding this matter with new footy manager ??
My contact up here at Giants who has links with Belconnen believes the coach is close to being given the flick ?? A loss this week could push decision by board / club with an old coach returning to try fix things ?
A lot at stake for both clubs this weekend
We were taught a footy lesson last weekend by NT but we are confident of turning things around quickly starting with big win this weekend - boys are pumped after a refreshing week focused on enjoying footy & taking some risks / running footy Eagles style
Go eages
Hills Eagles wins by 7 goals over Belconnen. Magpies hung in there for the first half but they dropped away after that. Hills had tall marking forwards in Milani and Vlatko whereas Belco struggled to hold the ball in the forward line. Not sure that either team is going to be challenging for a finals spot.
Long long meeting in the Belco coaching box after the game....perhaps ZZZ is onto a scoop !

FOOTY TIPPING AFTER ROUND 5

……………………………… After.....Round ....After......Round......After
…………………………….. Rd 3 ......... 4.......Rd 4..........5.........Rd 5

Dogwarna...................15 ...........3.......18..........6...........24
blackdog32.................13.............4......17...........6...........23
chikka ferguson............13...........4.......17...........6...........23
justabaraker...............13............4.......17...........6...........23
brewser.....................13............3.......16...........7...........23
billybunter...................14............3.......17..........5...........22
2010premier................13............3......16...........6...........22
Carlton Draught...........12............4.......16..........6...........22
nqtragic.....................13............3......16...........5...........21
hornets nest...............13............4.......17..........4...........21
Lifes a beach 1............12............3......15...........6...........21
collingwood 08.............11............4 .....15...........5...........20
stuyd1...................... 11............3......14...........6...........20
A Bit High.................. 10............3......13...........6...........19
one 4 the road............10.............3.....13...........6...........19
NorWest....................10.............2......12..........6...........18
Arwib.........................8.............4......12...........6...........18
Gitem.........................11.......... x......11x..........6...........17
miksmif.......................8.............4......12...........3...........15

Last edited:
What a screwed up comp this now is!! And not just NEAFL, but now QAFL. Beltings galore in both comps.Competitive amongst the top 5 sides, but after that, is a joke. The pressure it puts on the clubs that are at the bottom end of the ladder is just not warranted.
IMO, NEAFL comp should consist of the 4 AFL sides, Thunder,Southport, Redlands, Aspley, Morningside, Labrador, Broadbeach and either Ainslie or Sydney Uni..... a 12 team comp, The dollars saved here via the cost of airfares/accommodation etc, could be budgeted/granted to the not so financial clubs be it Broadbeach, Morningside etc assisting in these clubs to be competitive.
Yes in any league, their are some beltings that occur, and yes the Neafl comp standard has risen a little this season, but that's in the area of the local clubs getting the cream of the crop from the delisted local clubs in QLD. The Sydney and ACT clubs in this NEAFL comp, are just not up to this standard,

What a screwed up comp this now is!! And not just NEAFL, but now QAFL. Beltings galore in both comps.Competitive amongst the top 5 sides, but after that, is a joke. The pressure it puts on the clubs that are at the bottom end of the ladder is just not warranted.
IMO, NEAFL comp should consist of the 4 AFL sides, Thunder,Southport, Redlands, Aspley, Morningside, Labrador, Broadbeach and either Ainslie or Sydney Uni..... a 12 team comp, The dollars saved here via the cost of airfares/accommodation etc, could be budgeted/granted to the not so financial clubs be it Broadbeach, Morningside etc assisting in these clubs to be competitive.
Yes in any league, their are some beltings that occur, and yes the Neafl comp standard has risen a little this season, but that's in the area of the local clubs getting the cream of the crop from the delisted local clubs in QLD. The Sydney and ACT clubs in this NEAFL comp, are just not up to this standard,

This debate had many times last year. The biggest issue is that the cull of QLD based teams didn't happen in ACT. 2 less teams in Canberra and the comp evens out. As much as I'm spewing the cats are no longer Neafl the club simply couldn't afford it and the QAFL does seem to be the right place for the club.

As for QAFL too many teams and IMO they need a team from sunny coast or at worst burpengary. My opinion is that there should be one less from GC (surfers) and 2 less from brisbane. 8 team comp with the team from sc. 8 teams would be a good standard.

And if they are serious about nth qld then that team would have no chance in NEAFL and if it was to happen they should be in the QAFL.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This debate had many times last year. The biggest issue is that the cull of QLD based teams didn't happen in ACT. 2 less teams in Canberra and the comp evens out. As much as I'm spewing the cats are no longer Neafl the club simply couldn't afford it and the QAFL does seem to be the right place for the club.

As for QAFL too many teams and IMO they need a team from sunny coast or at worst burpengary. My opinion is that there should be one less from GC (surfers) and 2 less from brisbane. 8 team comp with the team from sc. 8 teams would be a good standard.

And if they are serious about nth qld then that team would have no chance in NEAFL and if it was to happen they should be in the QAFL.

Nth Qld has a game in early June at I believe Burpengary agianst a combined Souteast QLD team (No NEAFL players). Speaking to those in the know up here this is step 1 of what will be a long road either into the QAFL or NEAFL. I know their preference would be NEAFL but a garentee of $1.2 Mill a year might be a blocker.

Hey Norwest

We are hearing rumours coming up Hume Hwy that we need to be very wary this weekend as your troops are backs to wall & threats of player payment cuts to drive some improvement from the group ????
Is it also true ?? ... that a newly appointed president resigned after a big argument regarding this matter with new footy manager ??
My contact up here at Giants who has links with Belconnen believes the coach is close to being given the flick ?? A loss this week could push decision by board / club with an old coach returning to try fix things ?
A lot at stake for both clubs this weekend
We were taught a footy lesson last weekend by NT but we are confident of turning things around quickly starting with big win this weekend - boys are pumped after a refreshing week focused on enjoying footy & taking some risks / running footy Eagles style
Go eages

It was definitely an important game for the club. We played a decent brand of footy in the first half but couldn't sustain it throughout the rest of the match. I have honestly not heard anything about any players being asked to take pay cuts this season. I know a few senior players offered to take pay cuts this year to help out a bit. It definitely has not been mentioned as a tool to try to motivate the playing group.

This is the first I've heard about the president resigning due to an argument with the new footy manager.

I'm unfortunately not in the inner circles of the club operations so cannot comment on the coach's job security. I can say that he has the backing of the playing group (at least from what I have heard/seen). He seems to be doing good things but with a limited list.

A tough start to the year is made even tougher when you have to start it without your top 2 in last years B & F, including the reigning Mulroney medallist. Getting Bennett, Curtis and Rowe back into the side will be a huge boost for the tem. Not saying it would have reversed any results this season so far but it does wonders for a teams confidence to have elite players like Bennett and Curtis on the ground.

So what you are really saying is you want the old QAFL back, however with the added teams of Swans & GWS. And what then makes you think that either Ainslie or Sydney Uni would want to be the only team from the Eastern comp playing in this new competition?

The AFL need to have a real look at the decision they made to exit so many of the QLD sides at once which meant that the remaining 3 would only get stronger. I think the losers out of the entire situation have been Sydney Uni & Hills Eagles as they had no advantage (Tuggers out in ACT) and had to do things the old fashioned way and hit the phones to recruit. Both have done a pretty good job in my opinion and if they can build on this they will get stronger.

This comp is going to need at least 2-3 years for everything to even out. The first few years will be a lot of heartache for a fair few but most are resilient enough.

There at least a few poachable fringe players floating around the Queensland NEAFL clubs who don't mind the idea of a crisp winter.

There at least a few poachable fringe players floating around the Queensland NEAFL clubs who don't mind the idea of a crisp winter.
Correct Arwib,the power of a free market had to kick in at some stage, the three Qld NEAFL clubs have been handed enormous power in their regions in respect of access to players.What you may find is not all are fringe players.

Correct Arwib,the power of a free market had to kick in at some stage, the three Qld NEAFL clubs have been handed enormous power in their regions in respect of access to players.What you may find is not all are fringe players.

The lack of a salary cap south of the Tweed is also interesting here.

Oh and one more thing on the size of respective recruitment pools comparing the ACT to SEQ. Wouldn't the ACT draw in a fair few players from around southern NSW and the Ovens and Murray league?

So what you are really saying is you want the old QAFL back, however with the added teams of Swans & GWS. And what then makes you think that either Ainslie or Sydney Uni would want to be the only team from the Eastern comp playing in this new competition?

The AFL need to have a real look at the decision they made to exit so many of the QLD sides at once which meant that the remaining 3 would only get stronger. I think the losers out of the entire situation have been Sydney Uni & Hills Eagles as they had no advantage (Tuggers out in ACT) and had to do things the old fashioned way and hit the phones to recruit. Both have done a pretty good job in my opinion and if they can build on this they will get stronger.

This comp is going to need at least 2-3 years for everything to even out. The first few years will be a lot of heartache for a fair few but most are resilient enough.

Who cares - its irrelevant whether the Canberra/Sydney sides can compete in 2014. If they can't then some will fall aside through choice. Not sure there is a gun being held to anyones head to be part of the NEAFL - there wasn't for the Qld sides, anyone could apply, its just that only 3 sides were allowed to be in it. I agree that having 1 south team in the comp would not be great, I also agree that over the next 2-3 years it will even itself out.

Can't believe some on here think that funds raised through the AFLQ should go towards propping up a Morningside bc they can't finance themselves in a NEAFL comp. As if they are the only club that matters in all this??

Why cant AFL do the right thing and cease this oppurtunity, NT Thunder are dominate, givethem a * load of money and put them in the AFL in a few years and make TIO better because 3/4 of the ground you have to stand up.

Why cant AFL do the right thing and cease this oppurtunity, NT Thunder are dominate, givethem a **** load of money and put them in the AFL in a few years and make TIO better because 3/4 of the ground you have to stand up.
NT have played mostly home games so far and 1 away V bottom placed Suns,last year they didnt make the finals, i think the NT will have very good years then poor years depending on what is available, they also tradionally play their best footy in the opening rounds

Remove this Banner Ad

Back