NEAFL - Northern Conference - Season 2012

Remove this Banner Ad

Shouldn't they just raise the number of games for the Lions players to qualify from 3 to say 8? The Lions also had a relatively low injury count during the year that contributed to the making the reserves a stable side.

Also, Southport has dominated the last 10 years or more so what's the difference now with a few more better teams. Is it possible for the other teams to improve?

unless it's a side with AFL level income they just cannot hope to compete if an AFL side throws up 18 players. AFL sides start in mid oct - early nov with gameplanning, 10 - 15 fitness sessions a week, nutrition etc along with in house doctors, physios, shrinks, dieticians, massage, food, gym, rehab facilities etc etc.

NEAFL side, even the most financial. start after xmas - mid Jan, a max of 5 sessions a week if they can fit it in around work, kids, WAGS. got a niggle, keep going, need a doctor wait with everyone else. Need physio, there might be a team preferred phyiso who might be able to get you in if you can get off work to see them. Massage, yellow pages for you. Rehab from injury, AFL team = hyperbaric chambers, ice baths, acupuncture etc NEAFL side, umm yeah do what you can to take it easy.

and it shows. the lions could run faster, for longer, with bigger bodies. once it got to the point where there was some fatigue, the lions had it wrapped up.

I agree that it doesn't quite work in its current format, but also think that the NEAFL needs these AFL reserves sides for publicity, credibility, and overall quality of the competition. The issue is that the Lions won't want restrictions that don't let them play more players, as they obviously need to be developing their youngsters for senior level. I just can't see a way out of it that keeps all parties happy, sadly.

I agree that it doesn't quite work in its current format, but also think that the NEAFL needs these AFL reserves sides for publicity, credibility, and overall quality of the competition. The issue is that the Lions won't want restrictions that don't let them play more players, as they obviously need to be developing their youngsters for senior level. I just can't see a way out of it that keeps all parties happy, sadly.

Not too sure about the publicity thing Patty....publicity and media coverage for this comp is woeful.

Re your comment that the Lions wont WANT restrictions. Its not the Lions comp mate. What about what the non AFL clubs want? Seems that the comp has been sacrificed based on the wants of the AFL Clubs. If its not fixed the Lions may get what they want but it will be in a comp that includes only themselves, Suns, NT & maybe Sharks because of their pokie bank balance. I hear disturbing comments about the Vultures participation already. Lets hope some common sense prevails in this and a resolution is found because more of the same will destroy the comp. I dont mind watching a fight but lets at least have the combatants of the same weight division!

Lets face it, NT with all their concessions, full time admin and staff and finacial clout and still be flogged by Lions by 10 goals pretty much sums up the mismatch of the competition.

Lake and Morrison to coach Aspley after the failure again to get John Blair was the word yest at Mad Monday celebrations on the coast. Spoke to a few people at yeronga Sunday and agreed if you play 5 or more afl games you must play the equivalent in magoos to qualify for finals.

I don't think anyone would be surprised with the decision at Aspley, in some footy clubs money doesn't buy harmony......
Previous posts from Snorke( are you alive) and other Aspley people on here had Aspley comparing themselves with Southport on and off the field at the start of the year What a joke. Never will be the same on field. Their license should be looked at or the people in charge of running football dept should be charged with bringing game into dispute with all sackings and players leaving again.

Bonney to Sydney with work. Who will he play with down there. Pest at the best of times. Worst hair style in the comp

See of the 3 Grogan Medal winners (tied), only one was nominated in the team of the year, be it Davey, and that was on the bench.Eweing at full forward over Eagle... strange decision. geez , some differentals going on here. Who actually makes these votes /decisions , unreal...
And Cotts didn't want Ewing in the State Team

Previous posts from Snorke( are you alive) and other Aspley people on here had Aspley comparing themselves with Southport on and off the field at the start of the year What a joke. Never will be the same on field. Their license should be looked at or the people in charge of running football dept should be charged with bringing game into dispute with all sackings and players leaving again.

was always a ridiculous thing for obviously very loyal Hornets ppl to crap on about Staminade.

Not too sure about the publicity thing Patty....publicity and media coverage for this comp is woeful.

Re your comment that the Lions wont WANT restrictions. Its not the Lions comp mate. What about what the non AFL clubs want? Seems that the comp has been sacrificed based on the wants of the AFL Clubs. If its not fixed the Lions may get what they want but it will be in a comp that includes only themselves, Suns, NT & maybe Sharks because of their pokie bank balance. I hear disturbing comments about the Vultures participation already. Lets hope some common sense prevails in this and a resolution is found because more of the same will destroy the comp. I dont mind watching a fight but lets at least have the combatants of the same weight division!

Lets face it, NT with all their concessions, full time admin and staff and finacial clout and still be flogged by Lions by 10 goals pretty much sums up the mismatch of the competition.

It sort of is the Lions/Suns comp Maurie - without them there would probably be no comp and if there was, certainly not of the standard that it currently is. If they weren't in it then NT wouldn't be so thats 3 of the best 4 teams currently?? Has been said a few times on here but the PHC is the highest standard of uncompromised football competitions in Qld, the NEAFL just has the highest standard of player. For an analogy i think the VFL and say the GV league. One is a far better standard of footy, the other is a better comp bc it isn't tinkered with.

Lake and Morrison to coach Aspley after the failure again to get John Blair was the word yest at Mad Monday celebrations on the coast. Spoke to a few people at yeronga Sunday and agreed if you play 5 or more afl games you must play the equivalent in magoos to qualify for finals.
Wrong Staminade about Lake and Morrison, you fruit fly

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Snorkle still liveth, but like LAB is over the sh-t that comes up on this site most days, Aspley are moving forward and don't need me to sing their praises as very soon like it or not they will be just as big if not bigger than Southport (this time wll accomath) - just as in any fledgling business people are tried in a range of spots until they finally get it right - Stamma your efforts would be better served if you got involved with your beloved Cats instead of blasting the other clubs in the NEAFL, as they look to me like they need and expert on board, as their past two years of nearly greatness has been all effort and no improvement and as your blogs suggests you know about all things football (in your tiny mind) but alas you just seem to get it wrong each time. Snorkle Sleeps reads and laughs.

Thanks Snorkle but the Cats have enough so called experts on board like Staminade. He has more interest and knowledge about your club - my guess is he is actually one of yours from some point in time.

Teams for cross conference final named - Lions 10 listed players only, 8 not playing from GF. Obviously Lions not taking game seriously and I would tip a comfortable win by ACT Premiers and bragging rights. In my opinion that doesn't reflect on our competition very well.

Teams for cross conference final named - Lions 10 listed players only, 8 not playing from GF. Obviously Lions not taking game seriously and I would tip a comfortable win by ACT Premiers and bragging rights. In my opinion that doesn't reflect on our competition very well.

Or will reflect even worse on Eastern if they lose to a half strength side....

Or will reflect even worse on Eastern if they lose to a half strength side....

Yet there is over 300 AFL games experience playing in the game for Brisbane compared to less than 20 for Queanbeyan. One side trains probably 6 times per week the other 3.

Considering the ground made this season by Eastern sides against the Northern sides this is a very poor comment.

Yet there is over 300 AFL games experience playing in the game for Brisbane compared to less than 20 for Queanbeyan.

To be fair, take Buchanan and Stiller out and the numbers get much closer.

I am surprised by how well we played today with only 10 or so listed players. I've seen us get flogged by some average Queensland teams when our numbers of listed players have dropped to the 12-13 mark. Once you have 10 or so top up players it can get tricky. We had guys like Rutledge playing their first game today, and blokes like Gambale who have only played with the team once or twice.

All this makes me think once again, that the coaching work of Nathan Clarke has been undersold. What a great job he has done. Enjoy the win boys.

I will do a full match report later but BL dominated today. Buchanan BOG in my eyes, Stiller also dominated with Michael in control in the ruck and with Lisle booting 9 the Tigers were out run, out numbered and out played for most of the day.

I also think the top ups fresh legs was a telling factor.

Well done to both clubs as they both had miserable 2011.

Yet there is over 300 AFL games experience playing in the game for Brisbane compared to less than 20 for Queanbeyan. One side trains probably 6 times per week the other 3.

Considering the ground made this season by Eastern sides against the Northern sides this is a very poor comment.

10 listed players. A fair few who the day prior were delisted from the Lions. The rest made up of no doubt promising, but mainly inexperienced 18's or younger tyoe players. Well done to Nutter Clark, a fine coaching performance to get a side like this up, but seriously, all the "big" name Queanbeyans were playing. How much ground have you really made up?

Considering the amount of games Eastern won this season compared to last I would safely say ground has been made.

Tiger "big names" looked flat and exhausted from what was at times a brutal GF last week.

Beaten by a better side on the day, simple as that.

Considering the amount of games Eastern won this season compared to last I would safely say ground has been made.

Tiger "big names" looked flat and exhausted from what was at times a brutal GF last week.

Beaten by a better side on the day, simple as that.

Im not going to slag off the Eastern sides, they have clearly made up some ground this year on a few of the Northern sides. And I don t mean to be an a**hole bout today ABH. Tigers have been a great story this year, and winning the flag was a terrific effort.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back