News New basketball uniforms/logos/courts etc.

Remove this Banner Ad

The Charlotte stuff makes my head spin a little bit. Aren't they (historically) the Bobcats and New Orleans are the original Charlotte Hornets? Like Alonzo, LJ, Muggsy, Glen Rice, Dell Curry, Baron Davis and Chris Paul played for the franchise that is now the Pelicans?

Isn't the current Hornets team a franchise that started around 2004 or thereabouts as the Bobcats and only changed their name to the Hornets several years later after New Orleans relinquished it? And if the current Hornets are just claiming the 35 year history, what history do/can the Pelicans claim?

It's a weird aspect of American sports that thankfully we don't deal with much in the AFL: that many of the all time greats are kind of homeless, because I don't think Payton and Kemp would feel like part of OKC, Oscar Robertson played the prime of his career in Cincinnati and so on.

The Charlotte stuff makes my head spin a little bit. Aren't they (historically) the Bobcats and New Orleans are the original Charlotte Hornets? Like Alonzo, LJ, Muggsy, Glen Rice, Dell Curry, Baron Davis and Chris Paul played for the franchise that is now the Pelicans?

Isn't the current Hornets team a franchise that started around 2004 or thereabouts as the Bobcats and only changed their name to the Hornets several years later after New Orleans relinquished it? And if the current Hornets are just claiming the 35 year history, what history do/can the Pelicans claim?

It's a weird aspect of American sports that thankfully we don't deal with much in the AFL: that many of the all time greats are kind of homeless, because I don't think Payton and Kemp would feel like part of OKC, Oscar Robertson played the prime of his career in Cincinnati and so on.
First part doesn't sound fully right but the second part does so I think you have it right. It's basically this:

The original Charlotte Hornets move to New Orleans and start playing in 2002. This team is called the New Orleans Hornets.
NBA creates the Charlotte Bobcats to have a team remain in that market who start playing in 2004.
As for the next part of the timeline, Wikipedia explains it in a concise enough way with all of the right information included, especially in the last paragraph, but the preceding info is pretty interesting.
1685506209543.png
And in hilariously bad diagram form, in short the Hornets claim all of the basketball history in Charlotte, while the Pelicans claim all the non-Jazz history in New Orleans. Despite the Charlotte Bobcats being the expansion team in 2002, the Pelicans nowadays are considered the expansion team. A weird situation for sure that doesn't follow linear logic but a more romanticised format.
1685506163058.png
So to answer the first question, Muggsy, Dell Curry, etc. are all considered Hornets players whereas Chris Paul and Anthony Davis are considered Pelicans players. Funnily enough though, Pete Maravich's #7 jersey is retired by the Pelicans despite being a Jazz player, but it at least makes more sense than, say, Miami retiring Jordan's #23.

I like how the NBA do it. The city effectively seems to own the team and it's history, so if the Supersonics come back, they're still the old Supersonics and can honour the legacy of the team.

Cleveland Browns in the NFL is another example. Moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens and then reformed as the Browns in Cleveland.

Sports franchises ultimately belong to the fans so it's nice that teams can come back like that.

If you want to muddy the waters a bit more, the New Orleans Hornets briefly became the OKC Hornets in the wake of Hurricane Katrina, for then to have the Seattle Supersonics to relocate to become the OKC Thunder

I like how the NBA do it. The city effectively seems to own the team and it's history, so if the Supersonics come back, they're still the old Supersonics and can honour the legacy of the team.

Cleveland Browns in the NFL is another example. Moved to Baltimore to become the Ravens and then reformed as the Browns in Cleveland.

Sports franchises ultimately belong to the fans so it's nice that teams can come back like that.
Except if they never come back of course. I dunno, it'd feel a bit weird for - say - Johnny Unitas to be considered a past Ravens great, because he played when the Colts were based in Baltimore.

Except if they never come back of course. I dunno, it'd feel a bit weird for - say - Johnny Unitas to be considered a past Ravens great, because he played when the Colts were based in Baltimore.

I guess the Colts kept their identity pretty much complete when they moved to Indy. Teams like the Raiders, Chargers and Grizzlies have done the same. It's definitely case by case, but if Seattle got an expansion team they'd be called the Supersonics and I don't think anyone would begrudge the city that history despite the franchise technically continuing in OKC.

I guess the Colts kept their identity pretty much complete when they moved to Indy. Teams like the Raiders, Chargers and Grizzlies have done the same. It's definitely case by case, but if Seattle got an expansion team they'd be called the Supersonics and I don't think anyone would begrudge the city that history despite the franchise technically continuing in OKC.
For what it's worth, as part of the OKC relocation, the Thunder could claim the Sonics' heritage but chooses not to. I'd assume that's so that a Seattle team can claim it back. Also why we've never seen the Thunder wear a Sonics throwback uniform, or the gold patch on the collar that the NBA was doing for teams that had won an NBA championship. I think some of the Sonics' retired jerseys have followed through as informally retired jerseys (ie: no banner) and Gary Payton also stated he never wanted his jersey hung up in OKC, only Seattle. Same deal for the championships, the only banners we have are Northwest Division Champs lol

𝐃𝐢𝐝 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰?

There was a rare jersey by the New Orleans Hornets (Now Pelicans) that was meant as a tribute to the city of Oklahoma?

The then-Hornets launched its Oklahoma City Hornets Valentine’s Day jersey, the rarest jersey in NBA history following the onslaught of Hurricane Katrina back in August 2005. The devastating category 5 hurricane left New Orleans without a home to host their games.

Luckily for them, Oklahoma City and the Ford Center have yet to host the Thunder. What they did was temporarily adopt the Hornets.

For two years, OKC hosted the home games of the Hornets at the Ford Center (now Paycom Center). In their final season with the city of Oklahoma, New Orleans came up with a way to show appreciation to what the organization did for them.

Valentine’s Day, 2007. The Hornets unveiled a very special jersey when they met the Sacramento Kings. The uniform was a bright red with the team’s colorway in its linings and a Valentine’s day patch.

But what caught the attention of the crowd was the words at the front. “Oklahoma City” was written on it.

According to the Hornets’ former owner George Shinn, this is the idea they came up with to express their gratitude to the city and the fans “for opening their hearts [to the team]” during their two-year stay.

They then auctioned the jerseys, which eventually raised about $22,000 and gave to various charities.

Such jersey was never reproduced again, meaning it is the rarest jersey in the NBA.

𝐍𝐨𝐰 𝐘𝐨𝐮 𝐊𝐧𝐨𝐰!

FB_IMG_1690082781707.jpg

So the Boomers jerseys for the upcoming World Cup are on sale now.

Home
replicajersey_giddey_green2_f_50a2d0be-3ce5-4673-bf58-8915b2b00dad_1080x.jpg
replicajersey_giddey_green_b_249b57be-2f48-4c83-bbee-84da2b9c894e_1080x.jpg

Away
replicajersey_ingles_gold2_f_1080x.jpg

replicajersey_ingles_gold2_b_1080x.jpg

Can never seem to get the colours quite right, unless the Olympic committee does it, or those random warm up matches Nike made them. But how did they end up at cream?

Last edited:
So the Boomers jerseys for the upcoming World Cup are on sale now.

Home
replicajersey_giddey_green2_f_50a2d0be-3ce5-4673-bf58-8915b2b00dad_1080x.jpg
replicajersey_giddey_green_b_249b57be-2f48-4c83-bbee-84da2b9c894e_1080x.jpg

Away
replicajersey_ingles_gold2_f_1080x.jpg

replicajersey_ingles_gold2_b_1080x.jpg

Can never seem to get the colours quite right, unless the Olympic committee does it, or those random warm up matches Nike made them. But how did they end up at cream?
Very cricket-esque colour choice - it's "better looking" than the sometimes garish yellow we wear (Australian gold yada yada) but doesn't say Australia to me

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't mind it is bucks like, but not us really they also had the audacity to call it the gold jersey on their website its a cream or chamois a vintage colour that gives it a vintage feel

Personally I think the green and gold of the current Matilda's kit is the best. A rich dark green and gold. I'm not sure why we can't see the same colours used across all of our national teams. I really don't want to see the lemon and that strange green from the last Olympic kits ever again. The above just looks washed out

Remove this Banner Ad

Back