New Coach Updates: Then There Were 2 - Hinkley & Hardwick

Remove this Banner Ad

With the news that the club has asked for applications from prospective coaches to be in by July 3rd I though we should start an update thread.

Basically this thread will be for the posting of articles relating to our coaching position. To start off there are an interesting development to come out of the weekend with Leigh Matthews saying he would talk to any club that approached him.
"Seriously, no is the correct answer, but if a club rang you and wanted to talk to you . . . that's what happened with the Lions and me," he said.
"I wasn't coaching again, Fremantle rang up and I spoke to them and I never went forward, this was 10 years ago, and when the Lions rang up I spoke to them out of courtesy.
"No is the . . . best answer because otherwise you get into ifs, buts and maybes."
Asked what club he would choose between the Tigers and North Melbourne if offered the senior coaching roles, Matthews said Richmond.

I believe those comments are somewhat positive in how those in the business look at our club and its prospects for the future. It is also interesting to read the clubs reply:

Told of Matthews' statement yesterday, Tigers president Gary March said: "It would be interesting . . .
"We will get the person best suited to Richmond, no one is off my list, but it was my understanding Leigh was not interested in coaching.
"I would be very surprised if our football sub-committee didn't speak to Leigh . . . to at least find out if was interested. There is a high calibre of senior coaches around and I would be surprised if we didn't talk to all of them, including the bloke who just left the Kangaroos."
Mick Malthouse, Wayne Campbell, Buckley, caretaker coach Jade Rawlings, Damien Hardwick and Ken Hinkley head the Richmond betting markets.

March added: "It's a pretty decent year if you're looking for a coach, there's plenty of potential senior coaches, including the guy who has got the job at the moment.
Read more here:
http://www.news.com.au/heraldsun/sport/afl/story/0,26576,25668411-19742,00.html

Also just to clarify the clubs position in regards to finding the new coach and those that will be on the committee:
RICHMOND has asked for applications for its senior coaching position by July 3, and hopes to begin interviewing candidates for the job within a fortnight.
But while the club has sought formal applications for the job, the Tigers will also pursue any other candidates who have not formally expressed interest, if they believe they are suitable.
The Tigers are expected to be in contact with Nathan Buckley, Damian Hardwick and several other potential candidates for the position, which is seen as wide open and without a frontrunner in the manner of North Melbourne, which is believed to have Buckley at the top of its wish list.
While the initial noises from Punt Road indicated that the Tigers have a preference for a young coach, the club is open-minded about the position.
Its guidelines are believed to focus more on the type of person and coach, rather than his level of experience.
The Tigers are still finalising the panel that will pick the coach, with football operations chief Craig Cameron, football director Tony Free, club psychologist Geoff Bond and chief executive Steve Wright expected to be joined by external experts.

Read more here:
http://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rfnews/buckshardwick-on-tigers-list/2009/06/21/1245522734333.html

Re: New Coach Updates

Id love to see a list of every candidate that sends in an application.

I bet there would be some left field applications amongst them.

you are a fool what would be wrong with buckley

An untried coach with no experience at AFL level, even as an assistant? Just because Voss has done well with the Lions doesn't magically mean Buckley will succeed. Don't get the fascination with him to be honest. Champion player doesn't make a champion coach. Brisbane have a much better list than us too so it's a much bigger job for whoever takes us over. Hardwick ahead of Buckley for mine.

An untried coach with no eon experience at AFL level even as an assistant? Just because Voss has done well with the Lions doesn't mean magically Buckley will succeed. Don't get the fascination with him to be honest. Champion player doesn't make a champion coach. Brisbane have a much better list than us too so it's a much bigger job for whoever takes us over. Hardwick ahead of Buckley for mine.

:thumbsu: Couldnt have said it better myself. And to be quite honest the more i think about it Jade may be a good choice as our coach im sure the next 10 weeks will tell us.

:thumbsu: Couldnt have said it better myself. And to be quite honest the more i think about it Jade may be a good choice as our coach im sure the next 10 weeks will tell us.
yea im also warming to the idea of appointing jade next year. has impressed me so far with the way he conducts himself and hasnt be afraid to make the big calls by dropping the 30 year olds and the blokes on the fringe of the side mcmahon,pettifer etc. if in the next 10 weeks he can take the list forward and we can be competitive and possibly win a few i would have no hesitation in giving him the gig next season. looks a top bloke and one that the boys can talk with and one the boys would play for.

unfortunatly i have this horrible nagging feeling that wont go away.: that we will end up just giving the job to campbell.i really hope im wrong about this.

This is why Tony Frees credentials need to looked at before he makes decisions that are not backed up by any real off the field football experience.

He hasnt been around to other clubs has he in any capacity?

Now that Richmond supporters have made it clear that he is not a luminary of the past to us we need to question his power at the club.

He is our biggest threat in regards to Campbell being appointed.

Tony Free doing a football department review and Sheeds sent around Australia as some mascott.

only at Richmond.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Champion player doesn't make a champion coach.

I dont know about that. Carey and Archer made Dennis Pagan in my opinion. Bloke got found out.

Nah I know what you mean, and I agree that Bucks' people skills, management skills and communication skills become more important than anything that he has done on the football field.

He does demonstrate though that he has them. Having to correct his people skills is something he had to do but he went from unpopular at the club to popular.

I reckon leigh or Sheedy will coach even if they said no at present. By end of year one of them will re consider!

I'm warming to the idea of getting Buckley as our coach because he's very driven. However, the best reason to get him is that if we fail under him, we'll drag him down with us! :thumbsu:

An untried coach with no experience at AFL level, even as an assistant? Just because Voss has done well with the Lions doesn't magically mean Buckley will succeed. Don't get the fascination with him to be honest. Champion player doesn't make a champion coach. Brisbane have a much better list than us too so it's a much bigger job for whoever takes us over. Hardwick ahead of Buckley for mine.
Technically yes, but Buckley spent more time in his last couple of years in the coaches box than on the playing field. Has also spent this year coaching juniors as well as his media work. In some respects he may have got more diversity of experience in his last two or three years than someone who has been in an assistants job for the same time. His media work usually seems to be pretty well informed and well reasoned.

BASKETBALL legend Lindsay Gaze has been seconded by Richmond to play a key role in its search for a coach.
Tigers football boss Craig Cameron, who yesterday unveiled his strategy for the coaching search to the Richmond board, stressed that the club would not be taking any short cuts in its two-stage interviewing process, which will also include former players Emmett Dunne and Greg Stafford.
The Tigers' detailed strategy comes despite the fact that the highly sought-after Nathan Buckley has declared himself a candidate for a senior coaching position next year and will be interviewed by Richmond and North Melbourne.
Richmond and North Melbourne, which has reportedly targeted Buckley as its No. 1 choice to replace Dean Laidley, will be searching for senior coaches concurrently along with, potentially, Port Adelaide.

Read more herehttp://www.realfooty.com.au/news/rf...asketball-great/2009/06/25/1245522936387.html

Apparently the whole process will be posted on the Tigers website, so that us the fans can keep abreast of what is happening.

Just need to be super smart about it tigers. Take a look at our last 3 coaches and what they are doing now....we need to move away from that pattern...and especially if following the pattern is going to cost 800 big ones a year.

Bomber, Clarko, Rocket, Lyon, Roos, Ratten, Knighta have a definite common denominator, they are useless when it comes to media careers....;)

just a question they are saying that at some stage of the process march will be involved.is it unusual for presidents to be part of this process ? id have thought it would be left up to others.worrys me a little about how much influence hell have in who gets recomended for the final short list.

Bomber, Clarko, Rocket, Lyon, Roos, Ratten, Knighta have a definite common denominator, they are useless when it comes to media careers....;)
Roos was in the media briefly before he took up coaching. And he was definitely better in that role than Walls. So that theory doesn't wash cogga.

I am glad we advised Alan Richardson to apply, not saying that he is the right man, but he has coached before.
Done some amazing work at Collingwood as a developement coach taken this to another level. He is now at Essendon as an assistant but you would think he maybe the reason why so many of their kids are on the improve.
He is worth a chat to.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back