New draft game

Remove this Banner Ad

OK my pick now.

I'm going to be fairly unoriginal here and pick a player that I think is best available at this selection.

Having gone tall at pick 6 I don't want to pick up another tall.

This is a player that I do believe is quite underrated on these boards. I really like what I see from him and think that he can become a very handy player at AFL level. I think he'll be capable of playing senior football for Carlton as early as next season.

Pick 40: Carlton - Tom Rockliff.

Medium/small forward that has proved himself to be a very good goalscorer in the under 18s competition. Not noted for his speed or his defensive capabilities, but is the type of player that can come out of nowhere, have a great patch for 5 minutes where he kicks 2-3 goals and really turn a match on its head. Is a strong body and knows how to use it in marking contests.

I went into this draft game hoping for a Hurley/Rockliff double and am happy that it eventuated. If Carlton was to come out of the draft with these 2 players I would be very happy.

back to me. im gonna take jarrad blight.

this pick is not so much for needs (i think we need to take another kpp and a small forward at some point), but because i think this guy is by a fair while the best available. was considering him at 24 and in hindsight but i thought that if one were to slide of smith and blight it would be blight.

didnt play 18s but still got picked to go to draft camp playing colts footy for swannies. maybe a bit more of an outside winger or running half back flanker but can easily go into the middle and make an impact. i seriously doubt that he'll last to this pick in the actual draft but if he does id be very much hopoing that freo snap him up. he is a fantastic footballer - reads the play well and makes good decisions. we've got three class footballers in smith, rich and blight as well as a strong future kpp prospect in mckernan.

would look forward to a future midfield of palmer, rich, smith, blight and crowley (will be the best tagger in the game by the time these guys reach their prime) with guys like schammer, haselby, headland, mundy and ibbotson having a run through their. thats a very quality engine room - a premiership midfield maybe?

im getting a bit too attached to all this draft talk. would love for freo's draft to go this way but will probably end up feeling sourly disappointed when we use pick 21 on someone like ballantyne.

On Blight, he has a great thumping kick, a very nice leap and a great footy brain but his agility is very bad imo and is only quick when running in straight lines so I doubt he will make it as a centre square midfielder. I would like to see him tried as a lead up CHF actually, could be his position. Otherwise he could be a great winger - reminds me a lot of Cale Morton.

OK my pick now.

I'm going to be fairly unoriginal here and pick a player that I think is best available at this selection.

Having gone tall at pick 6 I don't want to pick up another tall.

This is a player that I do believe is quite underrated on these boards. I really like what I see from him and think that he can become a very handy player at AFL level. I think he'll be capable of playing senior football for Carlton as early as next season.

Pick 40: Carlton - Tom Rockliff.

Medium/small forward that has proved himself to be a very good goalscorer in the under 18s competition. Not noted for his speed or his defensive capabilities, but is the type of player that can come out of nowhere, have a great patch for 5 minutes where he kicks 2-3 goals and really turn a match on its head. Is a strong body and knows how to use it in marking contests.

I went into this draft game hoping for a Hurley/Rockliff double and am happy that it eventuated. If Carlton was to come out of the draft with these 2 players I would be very happy.

Two very good picks for Carltons needs.

Brisbane Lions: Pick 41 - Matt Deboer I believe Matt Deboer has something special in him and could develop to be one of the better prospects of the draft. After drafting tall with the recent few drafts Voss stated that the lions will mainly be looking for midfielders this draft. After watching the highlights package i am convinced at pick 41 he is a bit of a steal

With Pick 42 Port Adelaide selects Jared Redden.

Retrospective note:
Port Adelaide's plan coming into this year draft included improving its ruck, key position and inside midfield stocks.

With Redden, the power satisfies its ruck quota for this year draft and is the fourth tall drafted (Vickery, Lisle, Cahill and now Redden).

Being a local Redden is an insurance should Vickery decide to up and leave in 2 years time.

Mitch Brown was also considered at this pick.

Pick 43 - Mitch Banner

North needs inside midfielders to assist Harris and the aging Simpson and now Banner joins Swift and Zaharakis. It would have been nice to pick up either Hurley or Post but I am very happy with these three from a midfield perspective. I think Banner is underestimated by a lot of tipsters.

On Blight, he has a great thumping kick, a very nice leap and a great footy brain but his agility is very bad imo and is only quick when running in straight lines so I doubt he will make it as a centre square midfielder. I would like to see him tried as a lead up CHF actually, could be his position. Otherwise he could be a great winger - reminds me a lot of Cale Morton.

morton is a very good comparison from waht i've seen. not as skilled or free-moving (the way morton could weave out of traffic was amazing) but i see the similarities. not sure he'd be tall enough to be a key forward, definitely got the leap on his side though. agree that he probably wont be an inside mid, but i really think he ticks most boxes and is one of those players who can fill any gap during a game. really hope he falls to us in the third.

Two very good picks for Carltons needs.

I agree.

Hurley will just give us so much flexibility with our talls that as I said, even though he may or may not be the best available at pick 6, if available we should select him.

Carlton already has a fair few tall defenders coming through the ranks (Bower, Austin), as well as the established Waite, Jamison and Thornton. Hurley can play both back and forward so if we draft him we may well develop him as a CHF as he has all the tools to make an excellent AFL player in that position.

Carlton really needs more goalkicking options as that is an area where we really struggled in 2008. Rockliff I think could play senior football next season an would be able to provide us with another option up forward.

Drafting Hurley and Rockliff would be sensational for us as they not only address needs on our list, but are both quality players that could contribute for a long while.

Pick 44
Mitch Brown

Crows take a big key forward here who can kick multiple goals, takes a lot of marks and should develop into a great find for the team.
If Sellar doesn't develop how we want, he could provide that CHF role that we lack atm.
Trengove can then be developed into mainly a CHB/3rd tall role alongside Bock and Rutten with the possibility of spending time in the forward line.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Yep we will add another round in. Anyone interested in havin a pre season draft or rookie draft or is that going too far!

Pick 52
West Coast- Ranga Ediriwickrama (Hes on the table now geelong arent taking him)

If he still goes to geelong as a rookie then ill take Tom Allwright

Remove this Banner Ad

Back