Opinion New hype song to replace Sweet Caroline (poll results being sent to Swans Marketing)

Replacement for Sweet Caroline

• No song

Votes: 2 22.2%
  • Dumb Things

• Tubthumping

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Eye of the Tiger

Votes: 1 11.1%
  • Hall of Fame

• Thunderstruck

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

• We will rock you

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Enough already. Sweet Caroline might be a great song, it might be a terrible song but it's been part of the SCG Swans experience for so long that you can either enjoy it as an old Neil Diamond banger or you can enjoy it ironically.

I was just thinking about this last week as I walked past a beach bar belting it out and of course after the Sweet Caroline chorus I had to sing those three notes da da da BECAUSE EVERYONE DOES and that's part of the stupid fun of the song.

No one goes to the footy to get inspired by the quarter-time tune FFS.

Plus, there is no obvious alternative, or rather, the most likely alternatives are far too obvious. 'Champions' and 'Eye of the Tiger' are classics but they've been played to death.

But seeing as others are coming up with random new song selections I'm suggesting 'That's Entertainment' because it's a flex and certainly ironic if we put on a Paul Roos-Ross Lyon-style tacklefest.

Special mention to the Chumbawumba dross which is an all-round Scheisserhausen song, as though they came up with the stupid bouncy tune and applied the dumbest lyrics they could find. When I hear it I feel like laying down and staying down.

Everybody is in the place more of a jump starter, but I like your thinking

As I revisit the helter skelter period of my youth

Edit: obligatory adult themes etc

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back