New Interpretations

Remove this Banner Ad

If the ball spills free in a tackle....the tackler is already rewarded....play on.
Not sure I agree with this, it should be incorrect disposal and the tackler should get his just rewards, a free kick, otherwise players could just let the ball go particularly if it is heading in their direction, tackling is a skill we don't want to lose, if you had chance to get rid of the pill and didn't then a free should be paid as the tackler is attempting to either wrap the player up or cause an incorrect disposal, IMO.

so was one of the new interpretations mentioned by the AFL that we'll pay 50 metre penalty against you if you throw the ball back after a free kick on the full, but too high?
If it is I would tell my players that under no circumstances do you touch the ball once a free is given against you, let one of their players come and get it.

If it is I would tell my players that under no circumstances do you touch the ball once a free is given against you, let one of their players come and get it.

but what if the ball is in your hand when the free is paid against you (ie running too far... which is what happened with Danger. He threw the ball back, on the full, but ump paid 50 because he put some 'loop' in the throw... ridiculous..)

but what if the ball is in your hand when the free is paid against you (ie running too far... which is what happened with Danger. He threw the ball back, on the full, but ump paid 50 because he put some 'loop' in the throw... ridiculous..)
yeah that is a tough one, the player should be able to hand it to the umpire and let him deal with it.

Or just idk, throw it back properly. Everyone knows the loop throw is to waste a bit of time coupled with bad sportsmanship. Don't want a 50? Just don't do it, it's not as if they're asking much either.

Not sure I agree with this, it should be incorrect disposal and the tackler should get his just rewards, a free kick, otherwise players could just let the ball go particularly if it is heading in their direction, tackling is a skill we don't want to lose, if you had chance to get rid of the pill and didn't then a free should be paid as the tackler is attempting to either wrap the player up or cause an incorrect disposal, IMO.
Too many rules....if the ball is knocked free play on. Of course if the player in possession just drops it or puts it down that is holding the ball...free kick to tackler.

Think the 'obstruction' rule is huge.

Allowing players a free run and jump at the ball is a fundamental of the game imo.

Game is too defensive minded these days. Will be great to see cynical, stopping play penalised.

Will also be great to see some high marks being taken again.

I think the changes are an improvement, of course, how they are applied is another issue. Worst outcome is applying them some of the time, but not others, confusing the hell out of everyone.

Or just idk, throw it back properly. Everyone knows the loop throw is to waste a bit of time coupled with bad sportsmanship. Don't want a 50? Just don't do it, it's not as if they're asking much either.
A rule I'd like to see is that if you have the ball and it is the opponent's free, it is okay to give it immediately to the nearest opponent. Takes away that grey area of pretending to not know who's free it is to waste time.

A rule I'd like to see is that if you have the ball and it is the opponent's free, it is okay to give it immediately to the nearest opponent. Takes away that grey area of pretending to not know who's free it is to waste time.

Although strictly speaking usually your nearest opponent is usually the one demanding the ball to take his kick, considering the running back and forth of today's game everyone else is probably gone.

But I've seen multiple times where what you describe hasn't been pinned with a 50 though, unless you're saying they should outright state this with a rule change?

Although strictly speaking usually your nearest opponent is usually the one demanding the ball to take his kick, considering the running back and forth of today's game everyone else is probably gone.

But I've seen multiple times where what you describe hasn't been pinned with a 50 though, unless you're saying they should outright state this with a rule change?

Port did it a few times laSt night. Just wouldn't give the ball back to us

Yeah. Give it to closest opponent immediatly and you can be sure they will then in turn get it to the right guy straight away. Too much time is wasted pretending to not know whose free it is.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

So far HTB seems to be being paid more consistently. I am wary of the game becoming one that rewards the second to the ball player, but if the umps stay consistent then hopefully players will adapt and only take possession when safe to do so.

We may end up with more kicking or tapping the ball on and out. Might be bad for the game, but it also might just get rid of the maul style of play.

Mmmm, not too sure what to think. I understand the rules too well, however I think in the second part of the video there is too fine of a line. Holding the ball should be paid if a player is successfully tackled before disposing of it, however if a player picks up the ball and is unbalanced there should be no prior. Similarly, the blocking is too hard to judge. I think blocking another player out of a contest is a good idea, especially if your playing defence.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back