Employment New job experiences

Remove this Banner Ad

Feb 23, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Richmond
Other Teams
New York Jets
Just started a new job after a long tenure at another company.
Been here a few weeks, was at the old employer for almost a decade. I had a good experience with my old employer, but just decided to make a change as I had reached comfort/boredom/a bit of stagnation.

Am not 100% I've made the right decision, there's a lot of differences and a lot of things that I'm finding difficult to adjust to, on top of all the new job normal worries and challenges, missing all my old work colleagues and the familair environment, etc.

Questions are, what have been your experiences with changing jobs?
Grass not always greener?
How long to stick it out?
Ever asked for your old job back?
Look for something else at a 3rd company and then see how that goes?

Just unsure what I want to do moving forward, and how to approach this.

Been here a few weeks, was at the old employer for almost a decade. I had a good experience with my old employer, but just decided to make a change as I had reached comfort/boredom/a bit of stagnation.

Am not 100% I've made the right decision, there's a lot of differences and a lot of things that I'm finding difficult to adjust to, on top of all the new job normal worries and challenges, missing all my old work colleagues and the familair environment, etc.

Similar. Was at a previous role for 7 years. Work wasn't bad, alot of awful colleagues though. Nepotism, incompetence etc. Just a bad vibe so left

New job has much nicer people but the work itself is crap and alot less remote work so i started looking elsewhere after 6-7 months. Found out last Thursday I was successful elsewhere but the location of the office is s**t for me, includes more travel and even less remote work. Cant see me staying long tyere before i even start due to factors outside the people/role tasks...

No use sticking it out any longer than necessary. In my experience very few people at work are looking out for your best interests so you have to. Do what suits you first and foremost.

Grass often is greener but it depends what you value. I have learned since leaving a bad environment im actually fine putting up with that as i value the pay, remote work, and flexibility more than the colleagues. Im not here for social, i do that outside work. Have a think about what you really value at work and that'll help you answer your questions i think?

Personally if i were to look again so soon id just tell the next employer i was on short term contracts hence the short stays in roles recently...

I worked at one place for a long while, then changed jobs, for the most part the better.

One recommendation I have is to get things started on your own terms as much as possible. In my old job I was a bit too scared to ask to do things certain ways, in the new one I just came across with confidence that that was how I went about things and if you let me do it I will deliver.

Things like how I meet with people, communicating with the boss, time off, buggering off to the dentist, all those little things. If they come back and get anal about it then not much you can do about it, but I find if you start by doing the job well, you can set these sort of behaviours as normal and from that point forward things can be pretty good.

Sorry if that sounds a bit vague but basically do things how you want to (and let them tell you otherwise if necessary) whenever possible, rather than ask how they want you to approach things.

Sounds very similar to me. I’ve just resigned after just shy of 10 years at the old employer which I have gone absolutely above and beyond for. Too much in fact. Had a very good (on paper), senior role, but it was just that. Good on paper. I liked the people and aspects of the job, but there was a lot I didn’t like and the environment had become pretty bad over the last 6-9 months. I wanted out.

Landed a new job and start shortly. A lesser position, less pay, but less stress and I’m happy to do something less taxing for a while. Happy to work my way back up and prove myself. I’m a very hard worker. We’ll see how it ends up; although there’s some anxiety, and I might regret it, I feel like I’ve made the right decision.

I started a new job last week. In terms of career it felt very much a sideways step (from a role I was already not enamoured with), but it was a 40-50% pay rise so I of course jumped at it.

It's been a week and I already feel very uninspired by the role. It seems many of the frustrations of the previous new jobs except worse processes etc. The promise of casual working from home arrangements, only expected to be in the office twice a week appears to be a lie. While I had many frustrations in my previous role I really enjoyed the people I worked with, but do not feel like the new office are my type of people. It's the first time I've ever jumped from one position to another without a small break in between so I may well be limping, burned out into the end of year and probably should withhold some judgment, but I'm sceptical.

I certainly don't think I've made the wrong decision for the simple reality of that pay increase, especially with inflation really biting these last few months, but I also feel like I probably need to use this as a baseline and continue applying for things.

I started a new job last week. In terms of career it felt very much a sideways step (from a role I was already not enamoured with), but it was a 40-50% pay rise so I of course jumped at it.

It's been a week and I already feel very uninspired by the role. It seems many of the frustrations of the previous new jobs except worse processes etc. The promise of casual working from home arrangements, only expected to be in the office twice a week appears to be a lie. While I had many frustrations in my previous role I really enjoyed the people I worked with, but do not feel like the new office are my type of people. It's the first time I've ever jumped from one position to another without a small break in between so I may well be limping, burned out into the end of year and probably should withhold some judgment, but I'm sceptical.

I certainly don't think I've made the wrong decision for the simple reality of that pay increase, especially with inflation really biting these last few months, but I also feel like I probably need to use this as a baseline and continue applying for things.
Yep, pretty much all of this resonates with my feelings. I have experienced a bit of improvement in week 5, first week I've started off the week without wanting to pack it in.

Some advice that I got, give it 1-3 months at least, if nothing changes and you still think it's not for you, or you cant stand it, or nothing is improving at all, start applying.

I've only just started to see myself in the role for 6-18 months now, whereas in my first couple weeks I didn't see myself in it beyond a few weeks to 6 months.

2 weeks complete and I’m enjoying it. A bit difficult at first with a whole new team, new environment, being told what to do rather than be the one telling others what to do. As I said, it’s a “lesser position”, but man it’s what I needed after experiencing work burnout.

Although I’m already on a path towards a higher position. And I get on really well with the big boss.

2 weeks complete and I’m enjoying it. A bit difficult at first with a whole new team, new environment, being told what to do rather than be the one telling others what to do. As I said, it’s a “lesser position”, but man it’s what I needed after experiencing work burnout.

Although I’m already on a path towards a higher position. And I get on really well with the big boss.
Glad to hear! I've been there just over a month now, and am starting to settle too. Not sure it's more than a short-medium term gig for me, but it's at least gotten a bit better. First few months of 2023 will be really critical, the make or break period really.

Glad to hear! I've been there just over a month now, and am starting to settle too. Not sure it's more than a short-medium term gig for me, but it's at least gotten a bit better. First few months of 2023 will be really critical, the make or break period really.
How’s things going with you? I‘ll be honest, I’m exploring other options, this job is too easy, nowhere near challenging enough, plus the pay sucks. I think this year might be employment exploration.

How’s things going with you? I‘ll be honest, I’m exploring other options, this job is too easy, nowhere near challenging enough, plus the pay sucks. I think this year might be employment exploration.
Has definetely improved. I have scrolled through SEEK here and there, and tossed a couple of calls out for one or two jobs, but I'm not actively and committedly looking for a new job yet.
I've said all along, I don't see it as a long termer, but I'm in the position now where it's tolerable and so that means I can be a little more selective in what I look/apply for. When I have some time I will look here and there, when I'm really busy, I'll just keep working away at the current joint.

At least staying a little while (I reckon it'll be 6-12 months in the role before I might call it) looks a little tidier on the resume rather than if I left within the first 3 months which I've passed now.

For you, it sounds like your bored and not getting paid well, that's a combination to get out of there. If you're going to be bored/understimulated, at least be paid a reasonable amount, that was my old job at the end, boring/easy/unfulfilling, but at least the pay/benefits was good.

I changed jobs this year. Still in education but different school (mainstream to special ed). I was nervous about changing in case I went from the frying pan into the fire but it's all coming up roses so far. Sometimes you've just got to take that leap.

Seven months on, most of my instincts here proved correct. I did broadly warn to my colleagues somewhat - I don’t have close relationships in the way I’ve had at previous roles and don’t think I’ll stay in contact with anyone after I’m gone, but they’re all pleasant enough people.

Just a bit weird. There’s a hyper conservativeness I’ve never come across in a workplace - not only is swearing viewed as inappropriate, but I’ve even been roused on for blaspheming (saying “Jesus” when I was shocked by something).

The CEO is a weird duck and has his fingers in every pie of the organisation. My final straw came today when I looked at my potential tax return and discovered he’d not been withholding my HECS - leaving me owing over $5000. There’s another colleague in the same boat.

With the inflexibility of the situation, I do find it difficult to look for other work, but have begun looking quite actively since last week. I hope I find something soon.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I'm starting a new one on Monday, will report back. Good dough, good product and seems like a great team so I'm very positive.

First day done, straight to a customer meeting which was awesome, great to get into it, very confident I’m what they’re looking for to be honest (this is the honeymoon period of course)

started a new job after 9 years at my last workplace, had enough there and resigned without a job lined up! luckily got a job about about 5 weeks of looking. Been 2 weeks and I'm loving it! so much happier! sometimes you think the place you are at is good then you get to a new place an realize how much better it can be!

Started at my new school and 5 weeks in. Some things I've noticed.

The Good:
- Has a homely feel (lots of trees and old brick school building) and not cookie cutter type school that you see when they build these newer ones. By cookie cutter, its the same design as others with open planned rooms and same exterior.

Lovely staff. Being smaller means that you get to know them better.

Permanent position so no year by year contract.

The Bad:
Coming in from a school with higher expectations, I've noticed a clear lack of this. Parts of the curriculum being overlooked and students achievement results not matching tests.

Student attitudes also. Being in a regional smaller school. The attitude to learning and behaviour is an issue.

Anyone had a new job where their predecessor was hopeless and all of the customers hated them? This has been my experience thus far, aside from having to win back customer's trust it's a good thing for sure.
Sort of, not so much they were that bad but clearly deficient in some areas.

How good is it? You are considered really good simply by not being s**t!

Anyone had a new job where their predecessor was hopeless and all of the customers hated them? This has been my experience thus far, aside from having to win back customer's trust it's a good thing for sure.
I've come into roles where I've been able to solve someone's problems pretty easily, and they were so simple I've thought wtf was the old guy doing?

It definitely makes you look good without much effort lol

I've come into roles where I've been able to solve someone's problems pretty easily, and they were so simple I've thought wtf was the old guy doing?

It definitely makes you look good without much effort lol

A lot of it is just one percenters, being able to get along with people (both internal and external) and being thorough when we get an opportunity. Plus I do more than two customer meetings a week ha ha, my last job I had to do 15 a week!

Started at my new school and 5 weeks in. Some things I've noticed.

The Good:
- Has a homely feel (lots of trees and old brick school building) and not cookie cutter type school that you see when they build these newer ones. By cookie cutter, its the same design as others with open planned rooms and same exterior.

Lovely staff. Being smaller means that you get to know them better.

Permanent position so no year by year contract.

The Bad:
Coming in from a school with higher expectations, I've noticed a clear lack of this. Parts of the curriculum being overlooked and students achievement results not matching tests.

Student attitudes also. Being in a regional smaller school. The attitude to learning and behaviour is an issue.
Yeah I started at a new school at the beginning of last year. My previous school I was at for 14 years.

Only 2/3 months ago, it finally clicked and felt like I've really settled in. Idk what it is about me (or schools) that it takes this long. It was the exact same thing at my last school when I started there (this is the 3rd school I've worked at).

For me:

The Good:
  • lesser commute. Way less. And less stressful, no more freeway travel. I hear the freeway updates on the morning radio and still thank god I dont have to put up with that s**t anymore.
  • The staff. Amazing and friendly
  • The campus size. Smaller.
  • The students.

The Bad:
  • in terms of the school as in the buildings and grounds- its nowhere near up to par of my last school. Which is a bit of a downer. If I was in charge of the $$$ this place would look a hell of a lot different let me tell you..
  • the students. ;)

Now being self employed, experiencing what it's like to do your own admin like quotes, invoicing, receipts. Inc, meeting the requirements on documents of customers. It's a job in itself let alone the actual hands on stuff. So used to just getting my pay check whereas now I'm constantly being owed money. Sending friendly reminders, checking my business account everyday lol. Being a very small business even someone owing me $200 is stressful, then if a couple more have outstanding balances it ads up. So a necessary experience but certainly not pleasant!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back