NEWCOMB FOOTBALL CLUB - The Dino Extinct?

Remove this Banner Ad

With Newcomb being set the task of winning 2 games this year it is looking increasingly unlikely this will occur unfortunately. Their draw is as follows.
Queenscliff
Torquay
Ocean Grove
Modda
Ammos
Drysdale
Barwon Heads
Anglesea

After losing to second bottom Portarlington at the weekend i just can't see them winning 2 of these games, maybe one if they are lucky but not 2.

I am not having a go at Newcomb here, just being realistic. My main question is what actually will happen if they dont win a game, what is Football Geelong going to do. Are they going to follow through on what they have said they are going to do.

I really hope Newcomb are around next year we can see they have already turned it around a bit. If FG have set this criteria of winning X amount of games what will they REALLY do if it is not met because it doesnt look like it will be met.

Surely Football Geelong legally cant force Newcomb or North Shore to leave the competition if they're financial and financially viable?? Nor could the GDFL do the same to Belmont Lions??

Also, its only a matter of time before there's a side in Armstrong Creek and possibly Jan Juc. Apprently Lorne are also trying to move into a Geelong competition.Throw in Hoppers Crossing who have tried to join GFL before and may try again in the future.

My point here?? Surely its time that this region either decides ( or is forced by the VCFL ) to make a 3 division promotion/relegation league.

What happens when Armstrong Creek join say the BFL in 5 years time and dont win a game for their first couple of seasons?? The BFL aren't going to kick them out are they!.

Another factor in the BFL is that there is to much difference between the top and bottom. How can teams from little holiday spots such as Port,Barwon Heads,Anglesea or country towns like Modda compete against massive places like Torquay, Ocean Grove or Ammo's?? Port and Barwon Heads have tried to compete in the past by probably spending money they didnt nesserialy have and it almost put them out of business.

If we had 3 or maybe even 4 divisions then sides are going to be playing against clubs of similar size each week which would eliminate as many of the floggings we see each week now and give these clubs a shot at success which quite frankly they're not going to see in this current format.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back