Votes: 4 4.1%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

P_Crippy

Club Legend
Jun 22, 2015
AFL Club
Carlton
I have seen several posts mentioning Cerra as an option for next captain. Personally, i haven't yet formed a view on any potential successors to Cripps, or even whether he should relinquish, but i am curious to read why Cerra would be a good option. I've added a poll to see if there are preferences from the rest of the playing group.
Hopefully this just remains a discussion on our onfield leadership options and doesn't devolve into Cripps bashing.
Love to see your thoughts.
Cheers

Ed curnow

But tbh I have to rewatch the cerra press conference a few weeks back. Know it was a tough situation but not sure it was handled like it should have been. I voted walsh but ordinarily would select Weiters

It is a hard one for me. Not sure Cerra is ready for it. Don't see any obvious candidates.
Not liking the lack of support Weitering provides to the other defenders, seems pretty self centred.
Walsh, too young. Probably doesnt need the burden either.
Docherty is tough, but geez he has a tendency to do stupid s**t.
Dont see it with Newman, who knows there.
Charlie only if he changes roles, in that he spends sometimes in other positions. I cant see the value in having a captain, who when the crap happens is sitting in a forward line getting cold. Not sure he is tactically aware enough either...

Not sure there is too many candidates really, but you never know unless you are close to the team who the "leaders" are.

Current leaders not getting it done, seemingly.

Need a come WITH me guy. I see both Walshy and Weitering as blokes who could point the finger a bit too much.
Cerra has matured brilliantly (as I expected he would). He is popular, without being one of the more look at me types as some of the boys are.

We are currently a team struggling for identity. We are more a group of individuals doing their best to do the team things, but not necessarily having the make up to be unconditionally selfless as the better leaders usually are.

Crippa is a bloke determined to find success. He is struggling to work his way through the current challenges and his game focus has suffered. He wants to be the big dog and physically lead. His best in that sphere is great, but he struggles to find balance and work through adversity from a leadership perspective.

I have been quite critical of Weitering lately. Contrary to popular opinion, he is not the smartest guy in any room. I believe the current form and confidence dip of Young is largely on his backline general. Weiters, like Crippa sees himself as the big dog. He was nit drafted as the number on key defender. He was a generational interceptor, with supreme game reading instincts. He thrived as the number two to Jones. He was happy for Jonesy to be the man, and did not try to assert himself. Recently, he has stepped up to be the number one key defender, he sees himself as the man to take the opposition’s best forward. He is not always that guy. Horses for courses. He matches brilliantly against Hawkins, even Lynch types who do not list speed and agility as their prime traits. He even lined up on bloody Toby Greene, which was a ridiculous match up.
Young played some amazing defensive roles last year, matched against some stellar opponents. The bloke for mine, earned the right to be our designated and trusted stopper. Last year aside, he has underperformed ability versus output through his career at the dogs and now this season with us. IMO the bloke needs confidence, the confidence that builds by being valued and trusted to do a highly responsible role. Weiters has had a year without Doc sharing the defensive leadership, he has assumed the mantle and from my observation been highly assertive. Young, and others does not respond to that. To lead, one has to recognise the traits of one’s charges or team mates. I don’t think Weiters does that. I think he says, right I am doing this, so you blokes must cover this and that. A leader empowers, as opposed to suborning those around them.

Like Cripps, Weitering is an excellent lieutenant, not a captain.

Walsh is still a kid. A driven kid who focuses heavily on his own output. A footy head with internal drive. I have yet to see his leadership quality, bar that of being an inspiration with his work rate and output. He may be captain material one day, but that day is not here yet.

Cez is unproven in the leadership space, but has been inspirational this year. He has copped some very strange role allocation from Vossy and diligently sought to do the best he could to carry out that role. He has that selfless quality to accept the role deemed best for the group and give 110%, regardless if he is “happy” in the role. His time at Freo saw him deployed HB, HF, wing, inside or a combination thereof. He played under Ross the Boss who was preparing for a greater role within the group by giving him a grounding across the park.

I like to think Cerra’s qualities are inherent, but there is an element of education. Crippa only ever been mid, Walshy for all of his starting positions has always been a ball chaser, Weiters showed little aptitude forward in his cameos, he is a behind the ball player.

Cerra is rounded, generally humble, but with the natural attributes to step up to a higher role if the group needs him to. Time will tell, but he gives me all the right vibes to be a quality leader. He strikes me as an enabler.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Nic Newman for now, Adam Cerra for the future.

Walsh or Cerra.

Benefit of Walsh is that he has some dickhead about him and not afraid to have a go at teammates like Selwood or Hodge. This could be valuable when he is back to his best and nobody can doubt him.

But right now he's struggling whereas Cerra is flying. Cerra is a gun, plays hard but has elite class, but can he be demanding enough of others?

Whoever the coach picks is fine by me.
If you take the last 20 years Carlton has been the worst club in the Afl.

To achieve this “title” the people in control must have made more wrong decisions than right. But you still blindly support their decisions. That is illogical.

At this point nothing other than massive change at all levels of the club should be supported.

And btw the coach doesn’t pick the captain at Carlton, the marketing department does.

The past players who I speak to on socials are all firmly on the Adam Cerra train. They say he's a uniter and steadying influence. That he's a true clubman. It's more than the past player who poured the fuel out a week or so ago.

I, myself, voted Walsh. I think he's entitled to a poor year after spinal surgery though I'm clearly biased in that department.

Back