NFNL 2024 Div 1 discussion

Remove this Banner Ad

bertybeetle

All Australian
Jul 18, 2017
AFL Club
Collingwood
Are Bundoora in relegation territory if they start getting injuries? Do Macleod have enough stock left to keep them up? How are WPL fairing at the moment?

Eltham coming up with their depth can leapfrog all 3 clubs currently. Diamond Creek would give them a good shake too.

From HS today, exciting times at the Slime.

New Greensborough coach Matt Hyde discusses club’s talent, facing an old friend​

New Greensborough coach Matt Hyde discusses the club’s depth of young talent and the chance to face off against a premiership-winning mate.

New Greensborough coach Matt Hyde has labelled the club’s list “insanely exciting”.

The Borough possesses arguably the best young talent in the Northern Football Netball League and is coming off a dominant Division 1 Under-19s premiership.

Hyde takes the reins from Saade Ghazi, who stepped down after two seasons at War Memorial Reserve.

It is Hyde’s first senior coaching appointment, following in his father Rob’s footsteps, and the depth was talent was a major factor in luring him back to football.

“Greensborough is insanely exciting, they’ve got some incredible kids,” Hyde said.

“I got down to the grand final and watched the 19s storm away and win by 60-odd points.

“So we’ve got that group, close to 25 young kids move into the senior group, and I think 90-95 per cent of the playing list is under the age of 25.

“They’re all junior kids, they live and breath green, and they’re good.

“I’m a teacher by trade, dad’s a teacher as well, so what I think I can add is helping these kids think about what they need to do to move forward and tap into the incredible talent and skill-base.

“In an era in the Northern footy league where you’ve got some prolific sides struggling to fill 19s and twos, to have the depth of kids coming through that are really good is really cool.”

Greensborough won the under-19s flag with a 64-point win over Eltham and Brody Glenn finished third in the league best-and-fairest despite playing only 10 games.

Of the 22 players to feature in the grand final, seven made at least one senior appearance in 2023, while the likes of Angus Seivers, Harrison Andronaco, Ben Fisher, Nathan Howard, Ethan Luke and Jordan Smith were all rated among the best under-23 talents.

Meanwhile, fellow young gun Jackson Hasler is on track to return from a knee reconstruction.

Hyde said he was keen to work with the club’s current list rather than recruit heavily.

North Melbourne VFL-listed midfielder Tom O’Sullivan (Seymour) is the only new addition at this stage, while ruck-forward Rayden Garrard (Watsonia) is the only major departure.

The Hyde name is synonymous at Greensborough.

Matt was premiership co-captain in 2014 under Rob and a club best-and-fairest winner.

He said a major focus of his return was to end his time as “the last premiership captain”.

“The job popped up so I thought I’d put my name forward and have a think if it was something I could take the club to the next level,” Hyde said.

“It’s been a little while since I’ve been involved so it’s nice to be back, it feels like home.

“Obviously dad coached multiple times and my grandparents’ house backed onto War Memorial, my grandfather is a life member, dad’s a life member, my uncle is a life member.

“To come back and coach a club that your family is so entwined and connected to is pretty special.

“I’ve got a little boy and work is pretty intense, I stopped playing when he was born.

“Now he’s seven and loves footy … I’ve got to drag him away, he’s coming to training and trying to sting me $20 to fill up the drink bottles on a Saturday.”

One of the first calls Hyde made before taking the coaching job was to fellow premiership co-captain and now Eltham premiership coach Tim Bongetti.

The pair will face off for the first time off the field in 2024.

“When I was contemplating taking the job, I was really keen for Michael Hooper to come along – he was the best-on-ground in our premiership team – and he was the senior assistant at Eltham,” Hyde said.

“(Tim and I) were reflecting on how good it is to have a couple of us coaching different sides in the Northern footy league.

“Dad coached Eltham before Tim did and I did a couple of pre-seasons down there, just running around as an old bloke.

“Greensborough and Eltham, having the two of us oversees teams that I think are the best at breeding their own is a wonderful thing.”

This is a good move from Boro. Ghazi wasnt the right for them. Hyde and Hooper will be perfect for them and the young group.

HS article.

Bundoora secures former Carlton first-round draft pick Sam Philp

Links with a number of Bundoora players has helped the Bulls land former Carlton first-round draft pick Sam Philp for 2024.

Bundoora has landed the prized signature of former Carlton first-round draft pick Sam Philp.

The fleet-footed midfielder was taken with pick No.20 in the 2019 draft and played two AFL games before a series of injuries saw him miss almost two years of football.

Philp, 22, has signed with VFL club Port Melbourne for 2024 but will feature for the Bulls when commitments allow.

Strong connections at Yulong Reserve saw him chose the NFNL Division 1 grand finalist as his local aligned club.

Bulls coach Heath Scotland was rapt to have a quality player and quality person arrive at the club.

“If we see him, great, but I think he’s a player that didn’t get opportunities at Carlton and hopefully we can support him with his role at Port Melbourne and in 12 months he’s playing AFL again,” Scotland said.

“He’s 22, his maturing physically, all young players have their moments and I’d like to think for his sake he can get on top of (injuries) and play good football.

“As a player, his attributes – speed, ability to win the football, go from inside to out – are going to be really important.

“Our reserves coach, Rob Bolzon, has a connection with him and he knows five or six players from St Mary’s junior days.

“Then with his decision around state league football, going to Port Melbourne, where I spent some time and I’m good friends with Adam Skrobalak, so it all tied in really well.”

The 2019 Brent Harvey Medallist joins his former Northern Knights teammates Jackson Davies, Ryan Sturgess and Jackson Bowne at Yulong Reserve.

“He’s excited about coming down and playing some football but we’ll see where that stands,” Scotland said.

“We want to support him at Port Melbourne but there will be byes and opportunities to play with us and he’ll fit in seamlessly.”

Philp is the second signing of the off-season, joining ex-Montmorency defender Michael Fitz-Gerald.

Bundoora is confident of adding a couple more recruits for 2024.

The club has seen a number of key players depart after making a second NFNL Division 1 grand final this year, again falling to Heidelberg.

Scotland admits the club is behind on the recruiting front but is happy with the talent at his disposal, whether or not there are any more new arrivals.

“Probably the hardest part for the football club was just after I signed I went on a family vacation for a month,” he said.

“We’ve been in a holding pattern for a month but we’ve certainly been quite active in terms of reaching out and having meetings with players in the last couple of weeks and we’re hoping to add a couple more.

“Training on night one was Monday, we had a great turnout, and I’m excited about the young list we’ve got.”

Bundoora kicked off pre-season training on Monday with the club making significant progress on improving the club’s depth and improving its reserve grade for 2024.

HS article.

Bundoora secures former Carlton first-round draft pick Sam Philp​

Links with a number of Bundoora players has helped the Bulls land former Carlton first-round draft pick Sam Philp for 2024.

Bundoora has landed the prized signature of former Carlton first-round draft pick Sam Philp.

The fleet-footed midfielder was taken with pick No.20 in the 2019 draft and played two AFL games before a series of injuries saw him miss almost two years of football.

Philp, 22, has signed with VFL club Port Melbourne for 2024 but will feature for the Bulls when commitments allow.

Strong connections at Yulong Reserve saw him chose the NFNL Division 1 grand finalist as his local aligned club.

Bulls coach Heath Scotland was rapt to have a quality player and quality person arrive at the club.

“If we see him, great, but I think he’s a player that didn’t get opportunities at Carlton and hopefully we can support him with his role at Port Melbourne and in 12 months he’s playing AFL again,” Scotland said.

“He’s 22, his maturing physically, all young players have their moments and I’d like to think for his sake he can get on top of (injuries) and play good football.

“As a player, his attributes – speed, ability to win the football, go from inside to out – are going to be really important.

“Our reserves coach, Rob Bolzon, has a connection with him and he knows five or six players from St Mary’s junior days.

“Then with his decision around state league football, going to Port Melbourne, where I spent some time and I’m good friends with Adam Skrobalak, so it all tied in really well.”

The 2019 Brent Harvey Medallist joins his former Northern Knights teammates Jackson Davies, Ryan Sturgess and Jackson Bowne at Yulong Reserve.

“He’s excited about coming down and playing some football but we’ll see where that stands,” Scotland said.

“We want to support him at Port Melbourne but there will be byes and opportunities to play with us and he’ll fit in seamlessly.”

Philp is the second signing of the off-season, joining ex-Montmorency defender Michael Fitz-Gerald.

The club has seen a number of key players depart after making a second NFNL Division 1 grand final this year, again falling to Heidelberg.

Scotland admits the club is behind on the recruiting front but is happy with the talent at his disposal, whether or not there are any more new arrivals.

“Probably the hardest part for the football club was just after I signed I went on a family vacation for a month,” he said.

“We’ve been in a holding pattern for a month but we’ve certainly been quite active in terms of reaching out and having meetings with players in the last couple of weeks and we’re hoping to add a couple more.

“Training on night one was Monday, we had a great turnout, and I’m excited about the young list we’ve got.”

Bundoora kicked off pre-season training on Monday with the club making significant progress on improving the club’s depth and improving its reserve grade for 2024.
Bundoora must have a worker at the Sun, they get a write up every week!

Going to be interesting reading when they implode next season.

Bundoora must have a worker at the Sun, they get a write up every week!

Going to be interesting reading when they implode next season.
Watch this space on some players having second thoughts on signing for season 2024. Not sure they have much choice once they've put pen to paper for 2024.

HS article.

Bundoora secures former Carlton first-round draft pick Sam Philp​

😂😂😂😂don’t compromise the brand 😂😂😂😂

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Fixtures cant be far off. Hearing there are some nice marquee games that were requested by clubs.

Eastern league just dropped their fixtures, with round 1 being April 6. Thats a month after the AFL starts. Just shows how ridiculously long the AFL season has become.

If NFNL follow suit with that date, then the good Friday match will start the season. That will be huge.

Fixtures cant be far off. Hearing there are some nice marquee games that were requested by clubs.

Eastern league just dropped their fixtures, with round 1 being April 6. Thats a month after the AFL starts. Just shows how ridiculously long the AFL season has become.

If NFNL follow suit with that date, then the good Friday match will start the season. That will be huge.
April 13 for Div 1

😂😂😂😂don’t compromise the brand 😂😂😂😂

More of your Scotland hatred coming through. Won the flag at Deer Park . Either got sacked or moved on himself, different scenario depending on who you talk too. Let’s see how he goes at Bundoora. You must have been, an either a great player/ coach or disgruntled player or father, because you won’t let it go. FFS move on.

Shaun Mckernan two year deal at Strathmore apparently.
Going by the Edfl forum..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back