NFNL Div 3 discussion 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

10571z

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 23, 2006
Christmas Hills
AFL Club
Collingwood
It's a bit delicate given I'm from an opposing club, and I'm definitely not having a pot shot by any stretch, but has there been any talk of a merger between Lalor and Reservoir? I only ask because in country Victoria this has happened time and time again to ensure one or both clubs simply don't disappear. It happened in the VAFA last year when Yarra Valley and Manningham Cobras joined forces. They finished 8th and 10th respectively in 2022, and as a combined entity in 2023 they made the Grand Final, losing by 3 points to a goal late in the game and have been promoted.

As i said, I'm not advocating that it happen, but just interested if it had been considered.
Makes sense to everyone but those involved at both clubs. I think they are waiting each other out.

Who’s ground would you use because the other has lost their identity really.

two quick thoughts ......questions?

1/ How were Ressa's numbers last year - did twos forfeit games?

2/ Could the new coach (or coaches) come from the two Assistant coaches and as they know the playing group and I would imagine were involved in helping secure the new recruits?

Chump.
They didn't forfeit games and to answer that maybe a fresh face to lead the mustangs would be better as they could bring players in. From what I've been told from a few sources Justin(the now resigned coach) barely recruited anyone in his tenure at the club. It came down to the players to recruit their friends. Would be hard for a club to get decent players down when each weeks a thumping. Hopefully whoever's doing the recruiting can get it right this time and secure some players even if they have to pay a lil more.

They didn't forfeit games and to answer that maybe a fresh face to lead the mustangs would be better as they could bring players in. From what I've been told from a few sources Justin(the now resigned coach) barely recruited anyone in his tenure at the club. It came down to the players to recruit their friends. Would be hard for a club to get decent players down when each weeks a thumping. Hopefully whoever's doing the recruiting can get it right this time and secure some players even if they have to pay a lil more.
Not a diss to the club either but can't have a coach in if they aren't going to be out there recruiting players. Reservoir better off without Justin.

It’s not on the coach to pull players out of his bum. Nearly all recruitment is friends of players. Regardless if you aren’t paying him I doubt they’ve got a big budget to attract anyone.

Its hard to recruit when you have a bucket of gravel and hopes and dreams to pay players with.

The conversation would go like this.
Hi thanks for meeting with me.

Coach -
We have a strong future and we would like you to play for us. the first 3 -4 years will be tough but we are building a good team.

Player - No dramas, what are you numbers like and whats my incentive to play

Coach- we have 20 plays at training most nights, you'll need to pay your subs yourself and we can offer you a skittle and mars bar a game. Also you are required to buy tickets to functions

Player - Sorry Im late to pick up my pet dolphin ( walks out )

You can't expect Justin to recruit on hopes and dreams - Sounds like they had no money and were hoping that his connections would bring in plays who would play for free and get belted each week.

Its hard to recruit when you have a bucket of gravel and hopes and dreams to pay players with.

The conversation would go like this.
Hi thanks for meeting with me.

Coach -
We have a strong future and we would like you to play for us. the first 3 -4 years will be tough but we are building a good team.

Player - No dramas, what are you numbers like and whats my incentive to play

Coach- we have 20 plays at training most nights, you'll need to pay your subs yourself and we can offer you a skittle and mars bar a game. Also you are required to buy tickets to functions

Player - Sorry Im late to pick up my pet dolphin ( walks out )

You can't expect Justin to recruit on hopes and dreams - Sounds like they had no money and were hoping that his connections would bring in plays who would play for free and get belted each week.
Haha that's true. It'll be a long time till reservoir find success but I'm sure the players down there will do everything they can to help make sure they still have a club for at least next season.

Still getting a constant 30 to 35 with plenty to return after Xmas so thats a good start. Hearing from a few they are a bit dirty on the club for letting the head trainer go.
If they can increase the numbers to a solid 50 in the new year it will help. Then they just have to keep them
Haha that's true. It'll be a long time till reservoir find success but I'm sure the players down there will do everything they can to help make sure they still have a club for at least next season.
Any ex reservoir ex afl players that can save them? How’s reservoir bowls club going?

Yes would agree that a new face could bring in some new players - was just thinking it could be a bit late to get a new coach that could do that for season 2024 with most players signed or decided where they are playing already.

Chump

Yes would agree that a new face could bring in some new players - was just thinking it could be a bit late to get a new coach that could do that for season 2024 with most players signed or decided where they are playing already.

Chump
What sort of coach is coming in now and bringing players to reservoir? 90% of recruitment is done.

I’ll be surprised if they have a single applicant. It’ll be from within I dare say

Big pick up by the Turtles - massive off season so far - loading up for season 2024 as their big chance to win a flag and to Div 2. I have them level pegging with Mernda for early favs with West and Stars just behind them. Cracking year ahead.

Chump

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Big pick up by the Turtles - massive off season so far - loading up for season 2024 as their big chance to win a flag and to Div 2. I have them level pegging with Mernda for early favs with West and Stars just behind them. Cracking year ahead.

Chump

Chump
Turtles are all in but god knows the amount of trouble they will be in if they do win the flag?

Keys, Williamson, Macaffer, Milne, Snowdon, Quinton, Murphy, Taglieri, Malone, Kavanagh Vidinopoulos and Bower all well past there prime and some deep into there 30’s. How many go on in Div 2?

Turtles are all in but god knows the amount of trouble they will be in if they do win the flag?

Keys, Williamson, Macaffer, Milne, Snowdon, Quinton, Murphy, Taglieri, Malone, Kavanagh Vidinopoulos and Bower all well past there prime and some deep into there 30’s. How many go on in Div 2?
Maybe they become more appealing for younger local talent IF playing in Div 2 / higher standard of footy? If they all retired they have a big salary cap to use! 🤷🤷

Chump

Chump

Big pressure on Mernda to deliver now after coming so close. Morrison is a massive loss, ruckman of that calibre dont grow on trees. Why did the young fella Josh Coe leave to Kilmore when he probably would be starting ruck?

Might be past their prime but if that group puts it together on the day no one in this division gets near them.

I agree with Chump, turtles now my pick for the flag.

Shock horror something negative to say about the turtles

Shock horror something negative to say about the turtles
arthur mccarthur I actually agree with Rusted Nuts, if they do win, how many then go up to play division 2?
It is certainly a different age demographic to Sth Morang and Laurimar who have won the last two flags

Will division 3 become clubs that don’t have juniors or very few junior teams

arthur mccarthur I actually agree with Rusted Nuts, if they do win, how many then go up to play division 2?
It is certainly a different age demographic to Sth Morang and Laurimar who have won the last two flags

Will division 3 become clubs that don’t have juniors or very few junior teams

Who’s best set to go up in your opinion Thunder? Tbh I don’t see anyone in similar positions to South nor Laurimar

So sorry if I hit a nerve Arthur, atleast when the turtles offically set up themselves up as a retirement village for Eltham Panthers the supers will be mighty strong. 🤣

Agreed they are premiership favourites now.
Yes a lot of fellas playing for old eltham but if they win a flag will that entice eltham Ressies and fringe players across quickly.

Who’s best set to go up in your opinion Thunder? Tbh I don’t see anyone in similar positions to South nor Laurimar
10571z in terms of clubs with juniors, it would be Mernda (not sure of OP and Ivanhoe junior set ups)
Mernda have had 19’s as well which definitely helps.

Will OP and Ivanhoe have 19’s?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back