Remove this Banner Ad

WCE_Phill

Club Legend
Aug 17, 2009
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
Juventus
Was watching the brownlow last night with a few mates and I raised a discussion that if Nic Nat wins a brownlow one day does that mean we finish top 2 and the best possible chance to win a flag.

All 3 disagreed and said it wouldn't be a enough.

However, I'm of the belief that if Nic Nat wins a brownlow we wouldn't finish below 2nd.

Agree or disagree?

based on his vote getting this season, I have no doubts that Nic Nat will win a brownlow before his career is over. He does all the things that gets noticed by the umpires. He just needs to do it more regularly. Looking at his amazing progression in just 4 seasons, he will gain this consistency very quickly.

Plus he gets extra votes for his hot missus too :)

based on his vote getting this season, I have no doubts that Nic Nat will win a brownlow before his career is over. He does all the things that gets noticed by the umpires. He just needs to do it more regularly. Looking at his amazing progression in just 4 seasons, he will gain this consistency very quickly.

I agree. NN keeps adding more and more strings to his bow every year and cementing his skills from the year before. I was delighted to see him take regulation marks on the lead this season.

People say he's too inconsistent, but that's rubbish. He consistently dominates the centresquare, which is his main job. Sure he doesn't take 2 hangers a quarter, but nobody in the history of the game has. I like his improvement a lot.

Average goals
2009 0.3
2010 0.4
2011 0.8
2012 1.1

Average marks
2009 1.0
2010 1.4
2011 2.2
2012 3.0

Average Hitouts
2009 15.2
2010 16.6
2011 19.9
2012 24.7

His tackle stats have stagnated, but he was already strong in tackling from game 1 and the Eagles, as a group, are way down on tackles, but that's another discussion.

Average tackles
2009 3.9
2010 3.4
2011 3.8
2012 3.4

But the most impressive stat of all is:

Games played
2009 10
2010 22
2011 23
2012 22

You don't get games played numbers like that by being lucky with injury, you get them by playing injured and still having an impact.

Yeah fair call. Still has to hit cox's standard too.

I don't really like comparisons with Cox. He's already surpassed Cox in some areas such as clearances, one percenters and champion data scores. He's a very different animal to Cox and the Eagles have been fantastic at recognising this and not trying to turn him into a regular style of ruckman. Listening to peanuts like Tony Shaw crap on about how he needs to get more uncontested footy etc is frustrating.

The contrast that Cox and NN bring to our ruck division is brilliant. The challenge will be replacing Cox with another high-quality "standard ruckman". Lycett has had a tough year with injury, but I think there's a hell of a lot to like about him. He seems to turn nicely, has good hands and nice skills. Hopefully he can have an inury-free preseason and start to build the tank.

I don't really like comparisons with Cox. He's already surpassed Cox in some areas such as clearances, one percenters and champion data scores. He's a very different animal to Cox and the Eagles have been fantastic at recognising this and not trying to turn him into a regular style of ruckman. Listening to peanuts like Tony Shaw crap on about how he needs to get more uncontested footy etc is frustrating.

The contrast that Cox and NN bring to our ruck division is brilliant. The challenge will be replacing Cox with another high-quality "standard ruckman". Lycett has had a tough year with injury, but I think there's a hell of a lot to like about him. He seems to turn nicely, has good hands and nice skills. Hopefully he can have an inury-free preseason and start to build the tank.

Well Naitanui had less clearances in 2012 than he did in 2011, but he had more contested possessions.Which means his link up work in and around packs has improved.

I am not critical of Naitanui's game but three uncontested per game isn't exactly what we want from him either, we would rather he managed to both? To sacrifice his contested work for uncontested ball is pointless, but he'd become totally dominant if he could increase his uncontested disposals while keeping his contested football numbers as high or higher than they currently are.

If he gets more uncontested ball he will become more efficient and currently Naitanui runs at 70% disposal efficiency in spite of his high percentage of contested possessions. If he improves his finishing skills (kicking on the run, holding more marks) then he will have the singular capacity to put teams to the sword by himself.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

You're probably right. NicNat polling 25-30 votes would mean he tore the season to shreds and when he plays well, we look unstoppable.

The team, heck the whole stadium, gets this awesome energy boost when he's up and about.

I might be wrong here but werent you the bloke saying Gaff needed to get more contested possessions though?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back