Delisted Nicholas Robertson (2013-2019)

Remove this Banner Ad

It is really good to hear those points are getting made, basic respect and acknowledgement of others and especially the realization that training the way you want to play is important in terms of group attitudes. Little things assume greater importance. A hundred little things wins us a game.

It might sound like small stuff but in today's football the little things count. I know that when Wayne Bennet came back to the Broncos standards had dropped off and players took things for granted and he quickly installed some protocols around those things and they ended up in the GF.

It might sound like small stuff but in today's football the little things count. I know that when Wayne Bennet came back to the Broncos standards had dropped off and players took things for granted and he quickly installed some protocols around those things and they ended up in the GF.
Yep. Making players pay to replace lost clothing and gear to teach them respect and responsibility. Banning phones etc from training to encourage players to talk to one another. They aren't big deals on their own but they help change culture.

The thing about Bennett is that he has the authority to mandate those types of rules. It would be like Lethal coming in as coach and requiring changes - they carry with them a universal respect due to their achievements in the game and most players will accept strict rules because they assume Bennett/Matthews know what they are talking about.

Leppa, as a younger and vastly less experienced coach, has to do it differently and getting players to set the standards is the right way for him to go about it.

I think what I like most about what Robbo18! shared is that it sounds like the younger group is being involved in driving cultural changes. Relying on your appointed leaders is too a big risk. You need whole group commitment.

Yep. Banning phones etc from training to encourage players to talk to one another. They aren't big deals on their own but they help change culture.

Couldn't agree more on this one....have seen the young ones sidle up to a counter to be served, ear plugs in, phone in hand, half concentrating on what they are trying to convey to the person serving them, too busy with what is on their phone.......or in a food court sitting with friends, ALL on their phones not talking to each other at all.

The art of conversation is slowly but surely being eroded.

There must be some rules on the use of phones within the club imo.

Robbo18, he looks like a battle hardened footy player already and still so young. Going to be very exciting to watch him this year. And that's just me! Can't imagine how exciting it will be for you!

Well, bloody hell! 4400ks later and we made it.
Drove from Perth to Brissy to surprise Nick prior to our family catch up in VIC for Christmas. Here for a week then drive to VIC. Great Aussie country side. Well worth the drive to see that and also the look on Nicks face when he got home and we are sitting in his lounge room.
Went to the club function for the fight today and met Craig Lambert.
Must say, he's a switched on cookie and is all over his role!!
Has organised for Nick to complete his plumbing apprenticeship when previously he was told he couldn't do it! He's really wrapt!
most plsyers were there and gelling very well together.
Dan McStay came over last night to hang out, he's a great young man, very friendly and polite.
Nicks comments are that things are looking really well atm and is very confident the club is progressing upwards.
Going to the training session tomorrow at Coopooroo (spelling) so will try my hand at some pics and updates.
Only got my phone though so will see how they look.
Great to be here though!!

Drove from Perth to Brissy to surprise Nick prior to our family catch up in VIC for Christmas. Here for a week then drive to VIC. Great Aussie country side. Well worth the drive to see that and also the look on Nicks face when he got home and we are sitting in his lounge room.
Has organised for Nick to complete his plumbing apprenticeship when previously he was told he couldn't do it! He's really wrapt!
Dan McStay came over last night to hang out, he's a great young man, very friendly and polite.
Nicks comments are that things are looking really well atm and is very confident the club is progressing upwards.
Going to the training session tomorrow at Coopooroo (spelling) so will try my hand at some pics and updates.

Really appreciate such an inside view of the changes going on specifically with the Lamberts back Robbo18. We all hear the wonderful work he does however you just have to read a draft review to know that clubs only talk (spin) things up. The plumbing apprenticeship tidbit shows to me that individual problems are being resolved as well as the group love (Loyal Lions family induction). I doubt have been more happy with directions the club is going.

Well done on the drive. That's a marathon and shows not only the players do the hard yards. Thanks for sharing and have a wonderful week with Nick.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

The plumbing example highlights that in leadership, if you want your team to go over and beyond then leading is about managing expectations and providing a strong team culture to succeed.

If we were failing in that area, we had no hope with today's generation. There should always be a 1000 ways to say yes than finding a way to say no.

Onwards and upwards!

Love the updates mate. Are you coming to beautiful Bendigo on your trip?

Just thought I'd share with you all.
Nick was asked by GOD to hold a player meeting earlier in the week focussing on the expectations at training.
They'd all spoken about different aspects of what's expected of them and also what they expect of each other.
I'll list a few points Nick discussed with the players and coaches in the meeting.

. When getting a drink put the cups in the bin don't just drop them on the ground or club room floor
. When a runner brings you a drink, hand the bottle back don't just drop it and turn your back, show some respect
. Train as you play. The whistle means react immediately not at half effort
. When a punishment is handed to a team mate in the form of push ups etc, we ALL get involved so that everyone watching us can hear we are all in this together ALL the time

There's just a few of the points discussed, but for me it sounds like the boys are digging into every detail to get better.

I just seen this post and it says a lot about Nick and how he goes about football and life in general. Coaches obviously have a lot of faith in him going forward. You and your wife have done a terrific job with that young man. :thumbsu:

I just seen this post and it says a lot about Nick and how he goes about football and life in general. Coaches obviously have a lot of faith in him going forward. You and your wife have done a terrific job with that young man. :thumbsu:

Definitely sounds like a task you assign to someone who has been ear-marked as an emerging leader at the club.

Being it was training based, they clearly see him as one of the better trainers at the club as well. Which to many of us is no surprise being how fit he looks and how easy he seems to breeze through all the running. The points on the cups and bottles not being dropped and/or handed back is something i've NEVER liked seeing. Couldn't agree more.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back