No Oppo Supporters Non Bulldog Footy Talk - Bulldogs only - Part 5

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally, I think Carlton and St Kilda make way from last year’s finalists and it’s out of us, Crows, Suns and Tigers for who gets in.
No Weitering, no Carlton.
St Kilda may have improved based on pre-season reports.

I'm still not convinced by Port either.

VR is a gun, Fritsch and Pickett on their day are just about the best medium and small forwards in the comp respectively. Their forward line isn't that bad.
VR likely will be a gun, don’t think he is yet - need to wait and see how he handles the added focus when defences work him out, wouldn’t be the first key forward to hit the scoreboard pretty well in their first year, ie Schachattack a good example. Way too much riding on him right now for a side with premiership ambitions.

Pickett on his day sure but I think his impact has been overrated a bit to be honest, over the past 2 seasons he’s kicked 3+ only 4 times against top 8 sides, 3 against Lions twice, Freo once & 6 against Port.

He’s pretty consistent with his goal or two a game, and has had a few massive games usually tends to beat up on crap teams though. As does any small forward but overall I’m just not that worried about him, plus he’ll miss his 3-4 weeks a year for being a dog

Fritsch is a gun but overall that is leaving a lot to a 20yo tall forward, a 3rd tall and a small forward. Won’t get much Gawn forward this year, and most of the other forwards rolling through are genuine battlers. If they don’t get their usual dominance in the midfield & backline I can’t see how that forward line troubles the top teams

No Weitering, no Carlton.
St Kilda may have improved based on pre-season reports.

I'm still not convinced by Port either.
Port's spine is as massive worry, down back, forward line and the rucks. Their is bloody dynamic though but I'd be licking my chops as a key forward coming up against BZT and Esava.

There’s an argument Melbourne should’ve won both their finals last year, they were very wasteful in front of goal. Interestingly, although they looked great last night, their goal kicking was average and like others have said they were playing a very poor opponent (pressure was non-existent, even for a preseason game it was hard to watch).

Brayshaw will be a loss, as will Oliver if he can’t get back to decent form, and they’ve lost some depth so any injuries would be an issue. But unless the “cultural” stuff brings the club down they should be there or thereabouts this year again imo.

Put it this way. Carlton’s opponents in finals last year were Sydney, a team that really shouldn’t have made finals (8 points from a North interchange error and an Adelaide goal called a behind), and Melbourne who I thought just had a mental monkey on their back after losing the qualifying final due to their inability to score despite dominance.

Then when they had to play Brisbane, they proceeded to not kick a goal for over an hour of footy once Brisbanes nerves settled.

I think they CAN make finals, but Top 4? It’s a no from me.

Melbourne's round 1 midfield set up will be without Brayshaw, Oliver (likely), Grundy, Harmes and Jordon from last year.

Gawn, Petracca, Viney, Sparrow will likely be their first rotation. Who else though? Doesn't feel as ominous as in the past.

Melbourne's round 1 midfield set up will be without Brayshaw, Oliver (likely), Grundy, Harmes and Jordon from last year.

Gawn, Petracca, Viney, Sparrow will likely be their first rotation. Who else though? Doesn't feel as ominous as in the past.

English, Bont, Libba and Treloar against Gawn, Petracca, Viney and Sparrow will be an intriguing battle. Their centre bounce crew has had the edge when they've had Oliver but without him it's gonna be pretty close.

English, Bont, Libba and Treloar against Gawn, Petracca, Viney and Sparrow will be an intriguing battle. Their centre bounce crew has had the edge when they've had Oliver but without him it's gonna be pretty close.
I think we get the edge when on the second rotation. Lobb, Macrae, Sanders and Harmes against what may be Schache, Hunter, Kozi and who knows.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Same could be said of us unfortunately.

And a lot of teams. Even a consensus top 4 team like Brisbane looked fragile last year when they were missing a couple of key players and/or just had an off day. Not too many teams can win when they're not playing well.

Pies the notable exception, they have shown they can grind out the wins when they need to. There's an argument they weren't even playing very well in the finals last year but just found a way to win by playing/scoring in spurts and then defending well and taking their opportunities late when they were presented.

Carlton were dominant in contest when they were on their run last year from memory, and when stretched the defense held up with Weitering there. If they come back to the pack for contest and miss Weitering for more than a few games it'll be interesting to see how they hold up.

What's with all the recent national coverage of the Lions leadership group election tomorrow? Do most of us really give a s**t whether Dunkley is elected?

All I've seen this week is Dunkley this and Dunkley that, and frankly I don't think that Albanese and Dutton should be commenting on AFL club matters.

Jimmy Webster will get weeks for his bump on Jy Simpkin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back