MFC Fans Only Non-Demons AFL Discussion – 2024

Remove this Banner Ad

That's correct but they smoked Sydney in the qualifying final. They looked good that year but the doggies put them out. I remember that year because it was the first time we had an all Sydney final, was pretty packed to memory as well.
They've had a couple of really good chances tbh. But none more than this year. They have all the pieces and a coach that maximises their talent. The only thing stopping them is a Vic team running hot in September.

Lol then they make it a 5 man bench, then someone gets concussed and they complain they are a man down and then they bring in a concussion sub
🎶There's a hole in your budget dear labor dear labor🎶

They've had a couple of really good chances tbh. But none more than this year. They have all the pieces and a coach that maximises their talent. The only thing stopping them is a Vic team running hot in September.
Like the doggies in 16?
2019 they had no chance against Richmond, probably should have lost the qualifying final. Mind you nobody was beating Richmond that year. I don't think they are unstoppable there's probably a few teams capable, but they certainly looking the goods.

Like the doggies in 16?
2019 they had no chance against Richmond, probably should have lost the qualifying final. Mind you nobody was beating Richmond that year. I don't think they are unstoppable there's probably a few teams capable, but they certainly looking the goods.
Easily the best team in it. But yeah, if Blues or Cats run hot in September with minimal injuries, then that #VICBIAS will kick in. Actually 2016 they should have won that year. That Dogs prelim must still haunt those players. Swans were clearly gettable on GF day. The 2024 side just looks more bulletproof to me.

Funny I was wondering aloud the other day with Topkent why more clubs dont just try to nail long range goals as a tactic, think I read that 8 gws goals were from 40+ metres?

I’m a coach now.
The tried and true tactic of yelling "Have a shot!"

Funny I was wondering aloud the other day with Topkent why more clubs dont just try to nail long range goals as a tactic, think I read that 8 gws goals were from 40+ metres?

I’m a coach now.
Because not everybody has the kicking skills of guys like Riccardi and Brown.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Because not everybody has the kicking skills of guys like Riccardi and Brown.
So recruit them.

Riccardi won a medal in the VFL for being the most promising young talent- same medal won by premiership superstars Pig Hibberd and Bailey Fritsch, as well as Melbourne Demons Legend Aaron Davey- and still fell to Pick 51.

That said, with fairies like Daicos having massive impacts on game skills are probably a bit more attractive than just pure athleticism and size.

It must be horrific being a St Kilda supporter. They've been somewhere between mediocre and awful for so long that it's beyond a joke now.

They never hit our depths of bad, but they've just been bog average for so long that it's hard to see them ever being anything else at this point.
They should have won a flag around that 2010 period. They had a great list. Unfortunately Geelong had a better one and the Pies snuck one. I've got a couple of Saints supporter mates, and they are actually more upbeat about their club than most of us on here.

Last edited:
It must be horrific being a St Kilda supporter. They've been somewhere between mediocre and awful for so long that it's beyond a joke now.

They never hit our depths of bad, but they've just been bog average for so long that it's hard to see them ever being anything else at this point.

They’re finally doing the rebuild they need, the issue is last time they whiffed their high picks. I think they’ll be OK if they stay the course with Lyon, but it might be a crappy couple years.

Concussion tackles. I reckon grounds are much harder than they used to be.
Watch the bounce of the ball in the Port/Saints match, it was uneven and pretty hard in places. If your head hits the hard spots you would be concussed.
If the AFL was really interested in player welfare, they would soften up the grounds.

Does anyone know of a table of venues versus concussion occurrences?

Concussion tackles. I reckon grounds are much harder than they used to be.
Watch the bounce of the ball in the Port/Saints match, it was uneven and pretty hard in places. If your head hits the hard spots you would be concussed.
If the AFL was really interested in player welfare, they would soften up the grounds.

Does anyone know of a table of venues versus concussion occurrences?
Wasn't Docklands always known for being a hard ground? Maybe that's changed, but I remember some of the players who played there regularly were mentioning it took an extra day to recover after playing on it because the ground was so hard under foot.

I’m a coach now.
I’m convinced professional coaching is just a facade, it’s like Mr Burns in the ‘Home at the Bat’ Simpsons ep, ‘I told him to do that’.

Wasn't Docklands always known for being a hard ground? Maybe that's changed, but I remember some of the players who played there regularly were mentioning it took an extra day to recover after playing on it because the ground was so hard under foot.
Optus too apparently. Manuka also feels very firm under foot compared to some suburban grounds in Canberra.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back