Umpiring North v Carlton Good Friday Game Umpiring ‘Discussion’

Is this the worst over umpired game of the year?

• Bad umpiring for both sides

Votes: 6 6.5%
  • Carlton got a ride

Votes: 77 82.8%
  • North got a ride

Votes: 10 10.8%

• Total voters

Remove this Banner Ad

Thought most of the Curnow and McKay free kicks were there. People will love a whinge, but North simply didn't have any KPD and the players panicked giving away dumb frees. Zurhaar did a Selwood type arm lift operation to force the contact high. They've been paid high before, but honestly fine with that being play-on, if it was Selwood or Ginnivan people wouldn't be crying about it. Cunnington being pinned was probably the truly dodgy one. But it's always funny how people only remember the things they want to. North kicked a goal in the first from a 50/50 call against Weitering. Zurhaar kicked their only goal in the third after fending off Docherty in the face. A few 50/50 frees probably went Carlton's way, but that happens. Wasn't the worst umpired game I've seen by any stretch.

It was basically every neutral poster in the match thread, including posters who don't often comment on umpires.

The umpiring in this game heavily favoured one team and had a big influence on the middle part of the game when Carlton made their run.

Noting that the result was the result anyway, bad kicking is bad football.

Coniglio decision was way worse than anything here.
I feel like the Zurhaar call was probably at least as bad.

Granted I think a lot of the extremeness of the whinging was probably us getting emotional.

The calling was s**t and clearly favoured one team. Twice Carlton players were rewarded for intentionally not picking up the ball and then getting holding calls.

But we didn't help ourselves with our kicking. You shouldn't be losing a game of AFL footy when you get 29 scoring shots.

It was basically every neutral poster in the match thread, including posters who don't often comment on umpires.

The umpiring in this game heavily favoured one team and had a big influence on the middle part of the game when Carlton made their run.

Noting that the result was the result anyway, bad kicking is bad football.
'Neutral' is a bit disingenuous. It's like saying I'm a neutral in Collingwood or Richmond matches. Everyone wanted North to beat Carlton in that game.

I feel like the Zurhaar call was probably at least as bad.

Granted I think a lot of the whinging was probably us getting emotional.
Every season's the same: "Why is the umpiring so bad this year?"

Go back and watch games from 20-30 years ago. There's still as many crap decisions being made, just with no social media. Not implying the umpiring was good today, to be clear.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Note the score here, and the fact that NMFC were streaming towards another shot on goal.

Carlton scored a goal down the other end 30 seconds later.

Definitely the most one-sided umpiring I've seen live. The Carlton supporters around me were as bemused as the North fans lol

Back