North V Geelong Pre Game Thread

Remove this Banner Ad

Cats are already looking for excuses for a loss. "Sore, bruised, 6 day break,
3 away games in a row. "

They still have some list cloggers playing from the 2001 draft. We got rid of ours.

true, we are still carrying Jimmy Bartel ........

your team has an excellent midfield and that is where I think your teams chances are best, and you would have the edge in the ruck division. I don't think that the 6 day break will be that big an issue. It should be a very good game, all the best.

To be honest, I think we're a fair way off beating the Cats.

I don't want to be negative, but that's what I think the reality is.

If it were to happen, it would have to happen in the midfield.

I'm expecting normal output from Swallow and Wells.

We need JZ, Adams, Basti, Cunnington, Levi? to have massive games.

Also massive games from Atley, Wright, Harper, Mullet, MacMillan.

For me, it is that tier of our list that needs to play out of their skins if we are to win.

It will be interesting to see whether we persist with the handballathon.

I like it, and if it starts working, might put the Cats on the back foot.

Pods and Hawkins will be a handful. Thompson to Pods, Hansen to Hawkins.

Lastly, I fear the Goldy/HMac experiment will be exposed in this match.

Dunno, I reckon if H and Goldy are used from the square, they could cause Geelong all sorts of headaches. Petrie takes Taylor up the ground to true CHF, then Lonergan is stuck with a bloke who is 4 inches taller deep forward. With no Scarlett to offer a chopout.

We just need to get the ball down there enough. The game will be won and lost on contested ball.

For me, it is that tier of our list that needs to play out of their skins if we are to win.

Pretty good summary, I think your right about our defence...our mids are going to have to work hard to push back into space and frustrate pods, hawkins and Johnson. I think if our intensity and commitment towards defence drops off just a fraction we will be in trouble.

I couldn't agree more, these guys are our future, but if we are to win or even be competetive, these guys need to do something with their lives.

Even if we don't win, we need to push them, these guys need to understand they can compete against one of the best midfields in the league. :thumbsu::thumbsu:

I hope they take the next step...

Our forward line should be fine....LT better do something with his life.

Do this.

Get someone to belt the s**t out of Lachie throughout the week, throw chickenshit at him and put him in a sack with a pack of angry cats. Don't feed him for the entire week, shave off his moustache, and pour salt water in his cuts at every available opportunity. We let him out of the sack at 4:39pm on Sunday afternoon and tell him it was Tom Hawkins that did it.

Wells, Swallow, Petrie & Goldstein were average last week, regardless of what the statistics say. We can't have that again. They need to have massive games, Bastinac and Anthony need to replicate their GWS form, Jack needs to come in swinging, and our forward line needs to fire. I have a feeling that Harper will be a little pissed off about his efforts against GWS (I personally thought he was a little below where he normally is) and will come out hard.

As others have said we need Atley/MacMillan/Harper/Wright/Mullett to have big games.

We need everything to go right, pretty much.

And if nothing else, just be happy that we aren't going to be "corralling" anybody from Geelong this time around. Jesus Christ.

That last point totally disagree, that is where you have our measure the most. West can't possibly ruck solo again against Goldy, and H. Mac looks like he needs a dozen consecutive games to get up to speed again. He was a fantastic ruck man a couple of years ago, and is young enough to get there again. Goldy is super talented.We will have to play Orren this week.

That last point totally disagree, that is where you have our measure the most. West can't possibly ruck solo again against Goldy, and H. Mac looks like he needs a dozen consecutive games to get up to speed again. He was a fantastic ruck man a couple of years ago, and is young enough to get there again. Goldy is super talented.We will have to play Orren this week.
Haven't you heard?

Goldy is now being played as a defender in an attempt to justify the two Rucks in the one team.

Unfortunately he has absolutely no aptitude for the role and is close to being dropped (if you believe the Hun :rolleyes:).

I honestly doubt you have much to worry about in the Ruck duels. I will be elated if we manage to break even tbh.

last time geelong were comprehensively beaten was by collingwood in a final,and the tackle pressure and forward press made them look 2nd rate,this should be the blueprint
for dealing with any top 4 side

we were very second rate that night, some of our worst losses have been against Pies at night, though we beat them 3 x in 2012. If we are not on, we will lose on Sunday. Freo has already beaten us. Not like we are unbeatable or anything. This is a game B Scott will be desperate to win. If your players are as well, will be very close.

Haven't you heard?

Goldy is now being played as a defender in an attempt to justify the two Rucks in the one team.

Unfortunately he has absolutely no aptitude for the role and is close to being dropped (if you believe the Hun :rolleyes:).

I honestly doubt you have much to worry about in the Ruck duels. I will be elated if we manage to break even tbh.

Serious? AA candidate last year. Surely just against GWS because there was nil to lose.

Serious? AA candidate last year. Surely just against GWS because there was nil to lose.

Against the Bombres as well, believe it or not. Even Paddy Ryder asked him what he was doing down back, to which Goldy shrugged his shoulders.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It would be nice if the players or officials didnt provide any verbal ammunition pre-match either. No 'respect' no 'good test as to where we are at' no 'beat a genuine top 4 side' etc etc

F***er F***er F***er of a journo

http://www.adelaidenow.com.au/sport...d-with-ban-rules/story-e6freck3-1226324078288
"It is a big challenge for us this weekend. I don't think too many will be complacent this week," Ziebell said.
"Winning a game against a top-four team is really important."

Not wanting to let the truth get in the way or anything but.....

"It is a big challenge for us this weekend. I don't think too many will be complacent this week," Ziebell said.
This is a misquote, it was in response to comparing the game we played and the game geelong played last round

Journo - " Is there any danger after a win like that that you will be complacent? Have you had it drilled into you that it will be a step up this week?
Jack - "I don't think too many will be complacent this week against Geelong, their past record speaks for itself. Its a good opportunity for the guys to get out there for the challenge this weekend."

"Winning a game against a top-four team is really important."
This is also a misquote, and the journo missed a whole section that Jack spoke about putting 4 consistent quarters together and playing consistently week after week (in answer to almost the exact same question the question previous)

Journo " how important is it that you start being more competitive against those top 4 sides that are the paces setters of the comp?"

Jack " It is its very important, like I said we just gotta keep improving and consistently be competitive throughout 4 quarters so if we can do that starting this weekend that would be fantastic."

Moral of the story is we don't even need to continue the statements of previous years the journos will write it anyway.

Moral of the story is we don't even need to continue the statements of previous years the journos will write it anyway.

just reading the article about Prince and how he made a journo leave his notebook and tape recorder behind after an interview and said something along the lines of, you have to remember what I said.

Guessing this Journo didn't take a note book and has a piss poor memory. Hack.

just reading the article about Prince and how he made a journo leave his notebook and tape recorder behind after an interview and said something along the lines of, you have to remember what I said.

The only problem with that is it took me what a minute to find the presser on our website?

There is no excuse it really is just a case of rehashing crap that has been said before and hoping its right.

The first quote is wish washy at best and a pretty standard line vs anyone "we will be up for the challenge"

The second one is so far off its not even funny, in fact the only 2 words in the quote that Jack actually said are is & important.

we were very second rate that night, some of our worst losses have been against Pies at night, though we beat them 3 x in 2012. If we are not on, we will lose on Sunday. Freo has already beaten us. Not like we are unbeatable or anything. This is a game B Scott will be desperate to win. If your players are as well, will be very close.

If our players run onto the ground with the belief that they can win, we are a big chance.

Watching our boys in the past against Geelong (and Collingwood), it appears they are beaten as soon as they step onto the ground.

If our players run onto the ground with the belief that they can win, we are a big chance.

Watching our boys in the past against Geelong (and Collingwood), it appears they are beaten as soon as they step onto the ground.

Fully agree, hopefully we start to see a North where everyone has that belief. Not just in themselves, but their teams mates and game plan. We have to sell out completely to those 3 things. Win, lose or draw we have to start bringing that - then we'll know where we stand.

Geelongs mids are experienced and big bodied, most carry 5kgs over our lads having a quick look at stats. We need to break even here hopefully with help by winning the rucks, then play our game - run and create as we have been.

The cats are far from over the hill, but they arent getting younger. WA trip then a tough Hawthorn game in the wet. Johnson limping around with a corkie i think it was last quarter.

They just got over Hawthorn couldve easily been 0-2, just Pods and Hawkins ripped them apart. We well know Gibbo can do well on larger players, he can also have it handed to him and Schoenmakers.....well we should be better equipped to hold these guys that the hawks.

We only need to look over our team and who isnt getting a game. Theres no doubt in my mind we can beat any team on our day, we may lack a little consistency through the year, but we can win! Just look over the strength of our list and who cant get a game atm, theres no team we should fear.

We win this game by breaking even in contested, not allowing their KFs to dominate and running them off their legs.

;) enter dr rudi webster,is he still alive ?????

yep, think he's do some work in India. Friend of a friend growing up and he gave my mate one of Clive's old bats. Playing backyard cricket with the massive DF (with County stickers) and five grips was bloody hard!

This turkey couldnt even get the winning margin right 183 - 54 = 119?

You’re not far wrong but I don’t totally agree.

I think they run out with belief and hold their own up until one of two things take place.
1. The other team gets a run on of a few goals
2. We miss a couple of gettable goals

Then apparently all falls apart. It’s been particularly frustrating to watch against Geelong where we’ve often started really well and then just collapsed rather than being outplayed for 4 quarters.

Hope everyone is cool with my thread on the main board... I feel this Is our best chance in a long time against a top side. Understandably no one gives us a chance, except us and Danny frawly ( whom I don't rate at all)

I haven't read it BZAROO and I don't think I'll bother. Nothing against you but I've a fair idea of the s**t that would've cluttered it.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back