Rumour not alistair but brendan

Remove this Banner Ad

Lol, love how people make these kind of statements so categorically.

He has been in a great system took over a team in tough circumstances and won every game it's hard to find someone better qualified

He has been in a great system took over a team in tough circumstances and won every game it's hard to find someone better qualified

Thanks for at least replying, all the others i've asked don't/can't.

Thing is i don't agree with that and i don't feel that's anywhere near enough to call someone unequivocally the best.

He was already in their system, knew all the players and staff. Basically he would have followed the systems already set up, along with a small bit of his own style of course, a very small part.

I'm not ragging on him because i'm sure he probably is decent but winning 5 games with the premiers with all that i mentioned doesn't make him anything special imo.

coincedently brendon has very similar profile thats clarkson did b4 he was appointed hawks senior coach at the end 0f 2004

Thanks for at least replying, all the others i've asked don't/can't.

Thing is i don't agree with that and i don't feel that's anywhere near enough to call someone unequivocally the best.

He was already in their system, knew all the players and staff. Basically he would have followed the systems already set up, along with a small bit of his own style of course, a very small part.

I'm not ragging on him because i'm sure he probably is decent but winning 5 games with the premiers with all that i mentioned doesn't make him anything special imo.
its also his credentials b4 he started at the hawks he has had a fantastic apprenticeship for over 10 years and just like clarko in 2004 he is and hopefully will be ready to step up and be a senior coach next year

its also his credentials b4 he started at the hawks he has had a fantastic apprenticeship for over 10 years and just like clarko in 2004 he is and hopefully will be ready to step up and be a senior coach next year

Ok, well now we are starting to get somewhere, although i'm not sure it makes you the best in combo with his stuff at the hawks but at least it's something definitive.

So many posters have made claims about how good he is on this site and are basing it solely on his 5 match stint, which is overrated imo.

Thanks for the info.

Ok, well now we are starting to get somewhere, although i'm not sure it makes you the best in combo with his stuff at the hawks but at least it's something definitive.

So many posters have made claims about how good he is on this site and are basing it solely on his 5 match stint, which is overrated imo.

Thanks for the info.
no probs i have also heard many a vfl commentator and ex players rave about brendon and have all said he would make great afl senior coachits refreshing to see clubs take risks with coaches who were not afl stars or big names very refreshing,,,, either you have what it takes to be a good coach or you dont,, if you played afl or starred in afl is irrelevant

Considering BigFooty consensus is that you can't be a senior coach without having played AFL, I'd say he's no chance.

Apparently McCartney is a s**t coach for the same reason.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Weren't they after a premiership head coach?

In the GF celebrations it did look interesting that Clarko and bolton appeared to seek each other out for a photo with the cup as they did a lap of honour. Sort of thing you would do if you thought it was your last game together. I suppose Clarko could have done that with the other assistants and it just wasnt shown but watching it live it looked to me that at least one of them was leaving.

In the GF celebrations it did look interesting that Clarko and bolton appeared to seek each other out for a photo with the cup as they did a lap of honour. Sort of thing you would do if you thought it was your last game together. I suppose Clarko could have done that with the other assistants and it just wasnt shown but watching it live it looked to me that at least one of them was leaving.
Clarko also got a photo with all the current admin and club fitness staff......

Maybe the whole club is leaving.

Future, not necessarily past.

Maybe i am speaking out of turn, but i would imagine all clubs hiring any coach would envision him hopefully becoming a premiership coach in the future.

Who hires a coach to be ok or mediocre?

I think you read too much into it.

I think Clarkson went to great lengths to acknowledge Bolton's contribution to the season, which extended far beyond the "normal" assistant coaching duties.

Considering he was effectively the senior coach for a quarter of the season, it was a nice gesture.

Maybe i am speaking out of turn, but i would imagine all clubs hiring any coach would envision him hopefully becoming a premiership coach in the future.

Who hires a coach to be ok or mediocre?
Sometimes I feel clubs sometimes appoint figurehead coaches that they hope will do well as opposed to hiring a coach they are confident in.

If they are chasing Bolton, I think they'd be better off going Bassett tbh. I don't think either has shown particularly more than the other to be a better coach (Boltons senior record of 5/5 would be equalled by a duck paralysed in one wing - however, he is a gun coach nonetheless), I just think Bassett would be recepted better by the fans and get them on board more easily, rather than a Tasmanian-grown now-Victorian guy.

Either will be a fantastic senior AFL coach, but just thinking how the fans will receive it.

I think Clarkson went to great lengths to acknowledge Bolton's contribution to the season, which extended far beyond the "normal" assistant coaching duties.

Considering he was effectively the senior coach for a quarter of the season, it was a nice gesture.

Fair point.

Sometimes I feel clubs sometimes appoint figurehead coaches that they hope will do well as opposed to hiring a coach they are confident in.

Then they're making a poor choice. Ken Hinkley is a testament of getting the best 'coach' available, not some figurehead.

Who are the top 4 coaches in the game today? Lyon, Hinkley & Clarko?

All unsung guys at the time of their appointment who did the hard yards and apprenticeships all the while being the 'not so sexy' pick.

Adelaide should just go and get the best coach possible, figurehead or not.

No place for logic on bigfooty

Remove this Banner Ad

Back