gillo94

Norm Smith Medallist
Oct 17, 2014
Hoppers Crossing
AFL Club
Carlton
Other Teams
LA Lakers
NRL embraces the State of Origin, big part of the Rugby fixture and last few years have been great matches. 2008 saw Victoria vs Dream Team and was one of the best games in last 10 years and shame we could continue it

Will we ever get AFL State of Origin games back in our code?

NRL again embrace Good Friday by scheduling games, will AFL make GF offical in 2016 by having Maybe Pies v Blues @ MCG? Making it a big blockbuster event and a success or maybe 2 other teams or games interstate too like the NRL do

NRL embraces the State of Origin, big part of the Rugby fixture and last few years have been great matches. 2008 saw Victoria vs Dream Team and was one of the best games in last 10 years and shame we could continue it

NRL again embrace Good Friday by scheduling games, will AFL make GF offical in 2016 by having Maybe Pies v Blues @ MCG? Making it a big blockbuster event and a success or maybe 2 other teams or games interstate too like the NRL do

State of Origin will only return to AFL footy when the number of teams is expanded to the point where fans dont get to see the best against the best & fans want to see the game played at an elite level.

Hope they don't give it to Carlton. Us and North are really the ones pushing it and Collingwood already get their fair share.

The question was more about if we are ever going to have State of Origin back & if GF will be official in 2016. Regarding who plays I still believe would be awesome if Channel 7 maybe had 2 games

1 game at the MCG, Blues v Pies
& Dogs v Roos at night @ Etihad
Fox also televise 1 game interstate

We don't want Good Friday as we'd have to pay more equalisation funds anyway. Give it to poorer clubs like Carlton so they can gain some relevance in a crowded Melbourne market.

I'm all for State of Origin. I'm willing to cop Pendlebury out for 4 weeks+ if the Vics beat the South Australians, that's just part of the game. Origin is another aspect of our game that needs to be opened up as we have no representative football. Majority of players are keen for it so bring it in I say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

State of Origin will only return to AFL footy when the number of teams is expanded to the point where fans dont get to see the best against the best & fans want to see the game played at an elite level.

It's a shame, loved watching it growing up as a kid

Hope they don't give it to Carlton. Us and North are really the ones pushing it and Collingwood already get their fair share.
Why is it everytime Good Friday is brought up North/Bulldog fans go on about how they're deserving of it :rolleyes:

1 game at the MCG, Blues v Pies
& Dogs v Roos at night @ Etihad
Fox also televise 1 game interstate

That's a terrible idea. A double header in Melbourne is passable but why cheapen having Good Friday Football if you also have an interstate game which could take viewers away from either?

Why is it everytime Good Friday is brought up North/Bulldog fans go on about how they're deserving of it :rolleyes:

The question isn't who's playing it
It's whether will be official, but also will SOO come back too which it should

If they want discuss who deserves it, let them have a sook lol

Last edited:

Because we've been part of negotiations over the past few years? Because it's our two clubs really pushing for it? I don't know.

We don't want Good Friday as we'd have to pay more equalisation funds anyway. Give it to poorer clubs like Carlton so they can gain some relevance in a crowded Melbourne market.

I'm all for State of Origin. I'm willing to cop Pendlebury out for 4 weeks+ if the Vics beat the South Australians, that's just part of the game. Origin is another aspect of our game that needs to be opened up as we have no representative football. Majority of players are keen for it so bring it in I say.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

State of Origin with Pendles would be awesome, same with maybe Grundy as SA ruckman

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Wouldn't you wana see Freo players play in SOO for either Vic or WA?
No not really, we've moved past the concept and the competition now national it doesn't need it anymore. Plus with such a busy schedule with everyone after the premiership cup in a sport with so many injuries it's too hard to fit in.

In an absolute pinch I probably wouldn't mind 1 game every four years between 2 of the big states. Every season? Absolutely no way.

Definitely play a game on Good Friday though.

What does the L stand for in NRL. This is not a game for grammar boys.This is a game of the working class.

No not really, we've moved past the concept and the competition now national it doesn't need it anymore. Plus with such a busy schedule with everyone after the premiership cup in a sport with so many injuries it's too hard to fit in.

In an absolute pinch I probably wouldn't mind 1 game every four years between 2 of the big states. Every season? Absolutely no way.

State of Origin used to be massive when I was a kid and even before that. Vic & SA rivalry was good so was seeing WA & The Allies omg so exciting to watch

NRL Do it, we should too or I should say bring it back, I'm sure AFL can manage the schedule like NRL do with theirs, not an excuse for me

With Good Friday I really don't care who plays in it but we def should have it, every code plays on the day so should we

Would like to see a game also played in WA

I don't know why Good Friday football even needs a debate - just ******* do it.

As for State of Origin: Being a Queenslander, the NRL SOO is an awesome spectacle and it allows for anyone to jump on the bandwagon without taking interest in the NRL itself throughout the year. It's all over the TV, radio, all over the streets, throughout every pub in the state. As much as I'd love for an AFL QLD/NSW/VIC/SA/WA/TAS State of Origin tournament, I think it's pretty important to recognise that the QLD and NSW sides would get dominated by the southern states. Until QLD and NSW start producing key talent (give it another 5 years), it'll ruin the spectacle, imo. Definitely needs to be done eventually though.

Last edited:
With Good Friday I really don't care who plays in it but we def should have it, every code plays on the day so should we

Would like to see a game also played in WA
Yeah it's actually a boring day, I know a lot of people go away on holidays or whatever but it's actually about the only weekend a year I pencil in just to stay at home to avoid the madness of bloody everyone trying to travel somewhere at once..

As for State of Origin: Being a Queenslander, the NRL SOO is an awesome spectacle and it allows for anyone to jump on the bandwagon without taking interest in the NRL itself throughout the year. It's all over the TV, radio, all over the streets, throughout every pub in the state. As much as I'd love for a QLD/NSW/VIC/SA/WA/TAS State of Origin tournament, I think it's pretty important to recognise that the QLD and NSW sides would get dominated by the southern states. Until QLD and NSW start producing key talent (give it another 5 years), it'll ruin the spectacle, imo. Definitely needs to be done eventually though.

Vic and South Australia every year would have excellent games

In 2008, Vics v Dream Team was exceptional.
Vics had Judd, Goodes, Harvey, Mitchell, Fevola, Scarlett, Pendlebury playing, while
Dream Team had Pavlich, Enright, Griffen, Cooney,Cornes, Cox, Buddy

Awesome quality football and each team had like 8 interchanges.
So it has all star players in it and not drain them have 8 I/C and let the players and supporters enjoy the occassion

Btw NRL don't need change way they do SOR, it's perfect as it is

Last edited:
The players are now paid too much to have them playing what amounts to "exhibition games". They also want another bye, not more football because apparently they get too tired.

They may bang on about how much they want it back - but the facts are from the mid-late 90's players were doing anything they could to avoid playing it.

I loved it as a kid, but it is a novelty whose time has passed. Perhaps a once every five/ten years approach might be better, to really get the players into it given they may only get one chance.

Big Footy SOO/Good Friday thread no 10,000.

Maybe the amount of threads on both topics is an indication of people at least wanting a conversation about both State of Origin and Good Friday football. I mean I would love to see State of Origin return once every 3 years and in a country where 25% of people say they have no religion and 90% of the people who do have a religion could not really give a crap about it, it seems stupid to me that the AFL does not have good Friday football.

As for State of Origin: Being a Queenslander, the NRL SOO is an awesome spectacle and it allows for anyone to jump on the bandwagon without taking interest in the NRL itself throughout the year. It's all over the TV, radio, all over the streets, throughout every pub in the state. As much as I'd love for an AFL QLD/NSW/VIC/SA/WA/TAS State of Origin tournament, I think it's pretty important to recognise that the QLD and NSW sides would get dominated by the southern states. Until QLD and NSW start producing key talent (give it another 5 years), it'll ruin the spectacle, imo. Definitely needs to be done eventually though.

Could easily have 2 different pools

Pool 1
Victoria
South Australia
Western Australia

Pool 2
New South Wales/ACT
Queensland

New South Wales and Queensland may not be able to beat Victoria but they could play a hell of a game against each other and I think on their day could even beat South Australia as well.

State of origin peaked when it was league vs league, and a somewhat even field for selection

The advent of a national comp meant the state thing lost its interest, and skewed the playing pool to victoria

As for good Friday, we don't need it
If you're so desperate for footy, I'm sure there's local leagues operating

Remove this Banner Ad

Back