Oceania NZ smoking ban for future generations.

Remove this Banner Ad

Jetafl

Club Legend
Sep 24, 2022
AFL Club
Adelaide
Other Teams
Astros Detroit Red Wings KC Chiefs
NZ smoking ban for future generations.

Discuss?

I'm not a smoker nor is any of my family, so it doesn't impact me even if they banned smoking from today. But as I live in a democracy like NZ is (and I haven't thought about this a great deal or anything) but my gut reaction is the government shouldn't dictate by law what an adult can do assuming it's legal (now I understand in NZ peeps born after 2008 it will be illegal my gut says that is over-reach) I think Adults of sound mind should be able to choose how they live their life eg what movie he/she chooses to watch, what music he/she listens to or if they choose to drink or smoke.

It will just send it underground for peeps that want to smoke than the ban effects.

Good idea, I say. Adults can make plenty of unhealthy choices anyway, and we aren't given the free choice to buy other harmful substances like cocaine legally.

I don't see a good enough reason for tobacco to exist in a society with a public health system that costs the taxpayer, a society that has known for a century that smoking kills. The jig is up. The only reason tobacco hasn't been banned for everyone is that it would be too controversial and difficult to ban a substance to which a significant portion of the population is already addicted. You may as well put a stop to any further generations getting addicted.

The comparison to the failed American prohibition of alcohol doesn't fly. Alcohol is much more popular than what cigarettes are, and in my view a lot more fun to consume. Cigarettes aren't a near-universal social lubricant like alcohol is.

If future generations never have tobacco widely available at every petrol station, it will cease to be part of the culture, just as smoking indoors in public has already ceased to be part of the culture.

It will still be available on the black market. But that will be a drop in the ocean compared to the legal market. Why would some 21-year-old go out of their way to buy darts on the black market when they can get something that's much more fun, like dope? All those other drugs s**t on smokes when it comes to pleasure.

Last edited:

Nanny state gone mad.
Neither logical or sensible.

It contributes enormously to the health burden. There's not really a 'safe' level of consumption, unlike alcohol, and is much easier to ban than alcohol. An obvious target.

Nanny state gone mad.
Neither logical or sensible.
Maybe you could explain why you're against the proposal? Do you have a vested interest to declare?

I support it. It will save many thousands of lives a year and reduce costs to the health system. Will also lift many people out of poverty since it's a very expensive addiction practiced overwhelmingly by the poor.

i would imagine the balancing act of money involved might have to be tipped over the edge before it becomes politically acceptable to ban smoking. it will only happen when there's not enough money to be made from taxing and not enough people to complain about it happening.

does this mean anything for marijuana smoking? will people one day be penalised for growing tobacco plants at home while people can spliff up?

is there a valid slippery slope argument anyone can make? should certain foods like candy be banned? this food is unhealthy, aids the development of diabetes and burdens the under pressure dental waiting lists.

It contributes enormously to the health burden. There's not really a 'safe' level of consumption, unlike alcohol, and is much easier to ban than alcohol. An obvious target.

Are they gonna ban fat people from buying Maccas next?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back